• Alabama Gubernatorial candidate's solution to illegals

Re: Alabama Gubernatorial candidate's solution to illegals

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...nSndAD9FE5MFG0

And Tim James' Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/timjames4AL

Campaign site:

http://www.timjames2010.com/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Do Alabama traffic signs report information in all 12 languages that the drivers license test is given in?

Does Alabama offer pilot license tests in those 12 languages?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        Do Alabama traffic signs report information in all 12 languages that the drivers license test is given in?

Does Alabama offer pilot license tests in those 12 languages?
        Doesn't matter, really. There is only a very, very small subset of any language you need to know to get by driving or even flying in most foreign country. Probably you can get by without know any of the language because most driving is common sense and pattern recognition. Most stop signs are the same world around. Some guy rented a car in Hong Kong and Rio and he didn't know a single word of either language. Drove just fine.

And today with GPS based systems in many languages even navigating is not a problem. Drivers licenses don't really test if you can navigate, only if you can drive safely within the laws.

My mother in law drove in NYC for about 15 years. When she moved to Oklahoma, a backwards state, she couldn't get a drivers license because they don't offer the test in Spanish.

Now a person that can drive in NYC and much of the east coast without an accident can surely drive in a place like OKC. Yet she can't get a drivers license.

*Edit. Good God my spelling and grammar has gotten even worse since I have stopped posting so often, not that it was spectacular before. But when all you do is write code a different mindset takes over and it isn't especially good for human information transmission.
        Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one, Gringo. I've driven in several countries around the world without knowing their languages all that well. You just have to make sure you understand their laws and signs. It's really not that hard. However, Asians are still horrible drivers...KIDDING KIDDING!
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

So in principle one should be able to build a test that requires no language skills whatsover. You could make it all pictographic, like the safety cards behind airline seats.

But I do hope that someone who speaks no English never pilots a small plane near any airliners I'm flying in, or over cities I'm in (since they tend to have crowded air routes over them).

Comment

It just makes sense to give the test in multiple languages.
              I mean if you are here in the US long enough to get a driver's license, you already know that we will bend over backwards to meet your linguistic needs.
              Besides, if you can vote in elections on foreign language ballots, even though being able to read English is a requirement for citizenship, why are we going to worry about driver's lic ?
              I think we need some more anecdotal evidence of how speaking the language of the country you live in is foolish and counterproductive.
              Anyone who disagrees is clearly a mean-spirited racist bigot and worse than Hitler.
              You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
              So that when they turn their backs on you,
              You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                I mean if you are here in the US long enough to get a driver's license, you already know that we will bend over backwards to meet your linguistic needs.
                Besides, if you can vote in elections on foreign language ballots, even though being able to read English is a requirement for citizenship, why are we going to worry about driver's lic ?
                I think we need some more anecdotal evidence of how speaking the language of the country you live in is foolish and counterproductive.
                Anyone who disagrees is clearly a mean-spirited racist bigot and worse than Hitler.
                I like you. You are a very good representative.

The problem with not giving the test in multiple languages is it only solves one small problem and it causes many new problems.

The one problem it solves is a budgetary one because you don't have to pay for the translation, printing and scoring of the other languages. I don't think it is a huge savings but it is there.

But I think that is offset because you decrease your tax revenues when those that can't get around as easily don't make as much money or spend as much money. Or they just buy stuff off the internet and don't pay local sales tax. You also loose the revenue from the car sales and resulting taxes and fees.

Plus those people will tend to remain isolated in their little part of the USA that only speaks their native language. If they where able to get around they might very well be exposed to the wider culture(s) of our country and adapt more fully to them. Including learning the language of the land a bit better.

So what exactly do laws like that accomplish?

Honestly, when people pass laws that end up punishing a group of people but provide no benefit to the society as a whole I don't see how it could be anything but bigoted or prejudice. And this is a special kind of bigotry because it actually ends up hurting the society as a whole and keeps the targets of the law isolated.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The USA does not have a national language, so accommodating immigrants' languages is logical.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Cute
                    But English is the language of the United States.
                    It is the official language of 29 states .

If you wanted to say this guy was kind of talking in code and he means more by his statements than merely changing the requirements for a driver's license I would agree with you.
                    But being able to read English to get a driver's license in the US seems sort of logical rather than some oppressive way of forcing immigrants to not assimilate into the culture.
                    Accomodating tourists ....seems logical but immigrants are going to stay here and accomodating their NEED to learn the language of the country they now live in seems more logical than helping them stay isolated from the culture, which is primarily in English.

Comment

I just want a badge

Comment

Actually, most of the US speaks horrible english...

(I keed, I keed)
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

But being able to read English to get a driver's license in the US seems sort of logical rather than some oppressive way of forcing immigrants to not assimilate into the culture.
                          We are not accommodating immigrants. We are accommodating US citizens.

You really do think some citizens are more a citizen than others, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                            Actually, most of the US speaks horrible english...
                            Yeah, but like Lorelei said in another thread... we're just speakin' American!

In the video, I found the peeking around corners as scary as the content. Anyone else? hehe....

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                            Erm... Callous was right again (in naturalization, anyway):
                            Section 312 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires that naturalization applicants must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language, and have a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government.
                            You can't become a citizen without English, so I'd say English is something every natural-born citizen should want to possess. That's something they can accomplish without asking for special treatment in whatever language they were raised to know.
                            Last edited by SilentSunshine; 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: more

sigpic
                            "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                            something which is not everything it should be." ó Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post

Always comes back to that doesn't it ?
                              We are accomodating citizens, who don't speak English but are not immigrants ?
                              Is there a large group of people like that ?
                              I think you were so busy trying to call me a racist you didn't even read what you wrote.

If you have a REAL SS#, you are a REAL American.
                              Period.
                              If you are on the path to citizenship, I consider you an American.
                              But I don't support treating non-Americans in any way we wouldn't treat Americans.
                              Obey the law and do as you please, the same as everyone else.
                              But we speech da Engrish heer and you will advance much further if you can speak it well.
                              I simply don't see why we, the US, should print stuff 12 different language when you are required to know English.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X