• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Gubernatorial candidate's solution to illegals

• Morganan
    replied
    Re: Alabama Gubernatorial candidate's solution to illegals

Why anyone thinks the language of Shakespeare needs to be protected is beyond me.

In any event, this is all Alabama is good for, being suckered...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/12697/64833

Leave a comment:

• Kerostasis
    replied

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
    You think that's some sort of barricade? I find your naiveté adorable.
    The "level of writing expected from college freshmen" and the "level of writing actually received from college freshmen" are often two very different things. I suspect he was referring to the former. :)

Leave a comment:

• MacLeod
    replied

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
    Well, for the people who do not attend college then you could hope that they didn't sleep through high school English class. Frankly, if you do not care enough to try in high school then I would not want you voting for my officials. (not including people whose second language is English).

Leave a comment:

• Flarfignuggen
    replied

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    requiring a freshman college level of writing

Leave a comment:

• ScratchMonkey
    replied

I had to share this Facebook post:

i can agree with [name] bout where humans n all the same but in all reality this is our country n if ppl wanna come here, do it legally n learn english. i dont mean to offend n anyone, just showing my point of view =)
    If we put a spelling and grammar test at the top of every official form, requiring a freshman college level of writing, we could lock people like this out of the system. Overnight, educated foreigners would hold total power over native-born rabble. Fox news fans would be disenfranchised. :p

Leave a comment:

• ScratchMonkey
    replied

At this week's Comic-con in San Diego, the trolley sign has been translated into Klingon:

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2010-07-2...-into-klingon/

I wonder if I can get my voting materials in Klingon?

Leave a comment:

• ScratchMonkey
    replied

Meanwhile, here's an ad by a candidate for Alabama's Agriculture Commissioner:

Last edited by ScratchMonkey; 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM. Reason: doh, one d in ad

Leave a comment:

• CallousDisregard
    replied

Originally posted by Gill View Post
    This thread made me think of a small anecdote from one of my wife's best friends who lives and works in Germany. She told us of most all businesses and such simply hang up on you if you call them and do not know Deutsch.

Would a hardline "we don't speak your language, goodbye" attitude provide the catalyst necessary to goad immigrants into learning English?
    It would be a great way to stimulate Spanish speaking and/or bilingual business.
    If you don't want my money, somebody else does and if learning a few phrases like: "Hi, how can I help?" will bring in the customers, then your business, that won't deal with any other language, will suffer.
    Money talks.

Leave a comment:

• sordavie
    replied

Originally posted by Gill View Post

Would a hardline "we don't speak your language, goodbye" attitude provide the catalyst necessary to goad immigrants into learning English?
    Probably not the people who weren't going to learn it anyway. It'll just segregate them more.

50% of Germans speak and understand a good amount of English. I have lots of friends who got by perfectly fine in Germany without knowing much German beyond some basic phrases. I guess even if most businesses won't talk to you on the phone in German, they'll still deal with you in person or maybe there are just enough businesses that don't care.

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied

This thread made me think of a small anecdote from one of my wife's best friends who lives and works in Germany. She told us of most all businesses and such simply hang up on you if you call them and do not know Deutsch.

Leave a comment:

• CallousDisregard
    replied

We could, if we wanted, drop the constant and pervasive implication that if you want immigrants to assimilate and learn the PREDOMINANT language in America, you are a racist.
    I know, you said xenophobe but I'm a SciFi guy and to me that means you hate BEMs and it doesn't resonate with me on a cultural level.
    But what about the video from the Phoenix City Council meeting ?
    Was that woman an xenophobe ?
    or
    is it possible that the " rule of law" actually means something?
    Oh and spare me the Leninist interpretation, could ya ?

Leave a comment:

• sordavie
    replied

Agreed. I'm curious as to why our military isn't used to patrol our borders.

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
    Yes, and let's not forget that sometimes people use the illegal immigration debate to couch their outright xenophobia in a more socially acceptable manner. Such people aren't really concerned with illegal immigration per se; but rather they use these kinds of debates to publicly express their xenophobia.
    No doubt.

But that's the case with many debates. Let's not allow that to weaken the recognition of our illegal immigration problems.

Leave a comment:

• sordavie
    replied

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
    I'm "pro-government hands on" when I say inaction on the part of the government is beneficial?
    Well...
    Moving right along, why am I not against other kinds of what? Here we have a procedure in government that may or may not provide a real benefit in the long run. I note it will bring a trifling initial expense, but also effectually necessitate other much larger expenses. I'm not just "libertarian." I'm conservative as well. I see it as wasteful in the long run to do everything that's currently in English for minority A, then B, then C, etc. Of course, when we're spending pie-in-the-sky dollars nothing really matters. Let's do it. xD
    Heh, we spend a lot more money on trying to fight the existence of such multi-lingual exams and making English the official language than on actually making them. I'm not sure this financial argument really holds any water.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X