The right to a cell phone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right to a cell phone

20 states now guarantee you the right to a cell phone with pre-paid minutes.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-ad...s/394553263949

Demand for these free phones is exploding.

I predict that a right to a smart phone is just around the corner.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: The right to a cell phone

Do you have a non-Facebook link?

It isn't just that I don't trust a Facebook article, but I also won't access Facebook at work to laugh at the, most likely, fake article.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It looks like Advocates for Self Government is using Facebook and Twitter to blog, as I couldn't find anything like a blog on their regular site.

http://www.theadvocates.org/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/cellphone.asp

Lots of hits from this search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=tracfone+welfare
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The way TracFone Wireless officials figure, they have 12,290 free cell phones to hand out in Androscoggin County, 7,236 in Oxford County and another 4,234 in Franklin.

Two months after getting state approval to offer government-subsidized free cell service to low-income residents in Maine, the company says it’s now taking applications.

To qualify for the free phone and 68 minutes every month for a year, residents have to take part in state aid programs such as food stamps, MaineCare or emergency heating assistance.

Jose Fuentes, director of government relations and spokesman for TracFone, said the company started offering its SafeLink Wireless free phone program in 2008 when the Federal Communications Commission approved it for 10 states and Washington, D.C. The company applied to the Maine Public Utilities Commission to offer it here last fall. Approval came down in February. It officially launched one month ago.

“It took a little bit of time for this to get under way,” Fuentes said Tuesday.

In exchange for offering the phone and airtime, TracFone receives a $10 monthly subsidy for every line from the FCC’s Universal Service Fund, originally intended to discount landline charges for low-income customers.

Only one SafeLink phone is allowed per house, only to the head of household, he said. It can be used like any other TracFone to make and receive calls. Unused minutes rollover to the next month. Additional airtime can be bought and added at retailers such as Walmart, but a majority of customers don’t go over their 68 minutes, he said.

He said the SafeLink program is designed to keep people accessible to their children and to work. He estimated, based on Census data and other factors, 145,246 Maine residents should be eligible for the phones.
        http://www.sunjournal.com/node/832698

Oh no, $10 a month to provide an emergency line for people who are in poverty!

This has nothing to do with rights, it has to do with a basic need for poor people that non-poor people are going to compare to their completely different service. This is like giving poor people 5 inch black and white TVs for weather reports on the cheap, which people are going to compare to their flat screen HD TVs and get all bent out of shape.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I support this, but they really need to have some oversight on the program to take the phones away when people no longer qualify for them.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Since when is a cell phone a right? I didn't have one until just a few years ago! I grew up without one. Contrary to popular belief, cell phones and cable tv are NOT necessities. This is ridiculous. Some might say, "Oh, it's only $10 a person." But multiply that by the millions of upon millions of people using it, month after month, and all of a sudden, you have yet another tax burden this country can NOT afford right now. Also, it takes away people's incentives to actually try and work for things themselves. If I was below the poverty line, guess what I would do? I'd ditch my cell phone plan and jump on this program! Let someone else pay for it, right?

BTW, most telephone companies already offer free/dirt cheap landlines for poor people, or if you simply want a phone for emergency purposes.

The more we start giving people, the more people are going to always demand. I understand the need to clothe/feed/house the truly needy, but cell phones? Come on!
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              BTW, most telephone companies already offer free/dirt cheap landlines for poor people, or if you simply want a phone for emergency purposes.
              This is simply a wireless implementation of the program that funds the landlines for emergency purposes, which would be clear if you read the text I quoted. Why does the signal being wireless matter?
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                This is simply a wireless implementation of the program that funds the landlines for emergency purposes, which would be clear if you read the text I quoted. Why does the signal being wireless matter?
                Because providing a cell phone will cost more. Most homes already have landlines already in place, the phone company simply switches on the signal, the resident just needs to provide a phone which you can get for just a few bucks at Wal-Mart. Whereas distributing cell phones requires new equipment. Usually, carriers lose money on the phones, with the intent of making the money back through service plans or people recharging their minutes. Simple logic tells me that this idea will cost the taxpayers significantly more than the current landline program.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Because providing a cell phone will cost more. Most homes already have landlines already in place, the phone company simply switches on the signal, the resident just needs to provide a phone which you can get for just a few bucks at Wal-Mart. Whereas distributing cell phones requires new equipment. Usually, carriers lose money on the phones, with the intent of making the money back through service plans or people recharging their minutes. Simple logic tells me that this idea will cost the taxpayers significantly more than the current landline program.
                  Well, the program pays 10 bucks per month for the service and the phones are noted as being provided for free by TracFone. Do you know that the same program pays less than $10 per month to the land line phone company for the same program in Maine? The land line version pays up to $10 per month and half of installation up to $30, so the land line could cost up to $150 as opposed to TracFone's $120 per year cap. You might think a land line is cheaper, but I'm guessing the wireless is slightly cheaper for the state overall.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X