Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye FACEBOOK!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye FACEBOOK!

I just completely purged myself from Facebook. It's about time. I'm sick of all the security/privacy concerns. Anyone else doing anything similar?

The straw that broke the camels back was the release of some IM traffic from Mark Zuckerberg regarding privacy in the early days of Facebook.

According to SAI sources, the following exchange is between a 19-year-old Mark Zuckerberg and a friend shortly after Mark launched The Facebook in his dorm room:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

Redacted Friend's Name: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb ****s.
    Read the Full article HERE

As an alternative; the Diaspora project sounds fairly interesting!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye FACEBOOK!

I'm too lazy to delete the account I created to talk to someone who stopped using it right after I did. I entered my High school grad year, birthday, name and current city of residence which are all already publicly available already so I'm really not too concerned about privacy issues for my account although I know that information about contacts can be farmed.

I think the real privacy issues revolve around too much reliance on numbers to identify someone that have to be submitted to everything you do instead of using a personally chosen identifier. Why don't I have to enter a password I chose for my credit card when purchasing online? Why is the number on the back of the card itself the identifier? Why is it that clerks at fast food stores can request to see ID to use a credit/debit card, meaning they have the opportunity to see:
    My name
    Birthdate
    Address
    Driver's license number (formerly SSN which is now supposed to be secret information for some reason I cannot fathom)
    Credit card number
    Expiration date
    The code on the back of the card when they verify the signature

Hey look, to buy a $10 fast food meal they expect me to give them every piece of information they need to order online in my place to 'verify' my identity. That's right, I have to show all the things that identify me and I'm still supposed to somehow keep it a secret at the same time to avoid identity theft. I have to carry cash now just to avoid being required to give my information for a hamburger at some locations. I'm not worried about Facebook, although many people who give too much information should be.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I like the idea of Facebook, I really do. I would even be willing to pay a subscription fee to give them a revenue stream that does not include my personal data. Right now they're only source of sustainable revenue is our data. No wonder they are trying to get hooked into every imaginable website for your likes and dislikes. Its all sources of marketing data that they can sell for a price. So no matter how much control they give you over whether joe normal can see your data, they will still be selling some amount of your data for revenue.

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
      As an alternative; the Diaspora project sounds fairly interesting!
      In the end, what will make this service any better than Facebook, Buzz, Myspace, or any other current social site? Remember, Facebook started out as a very conservative way for friends to stay in touch too.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
        In the end, what will make this service any better than Facebook, Buzz, Myspace, or any other current social site? Remember, Facebook started out as a very conservative way for friends to stay in touch too.
        The decentralized nature of Diaspora would prevent any one entity running an instance of the open source software from disclosing information on every other instance. If you ran your own instance you could control what parties you disclose information to as well as what you are disclosing.

As far as Facebook starting out as a conservative way for friends to stay in touch; the quotes from Zuckerberg shortly after the creation of Facebook shows that privacy was likely NEVER a concern at all. Especially when one of the founders is offering to give up personal information on a whim.

Comment

I am on it. There is nothing there of mine except a couple of pictures of my family. I don't get the whole "social" thing but it makes my mom happy.

The only time I go there is when someone asks to be my friend. I accept and then I leave.

I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
          Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The decentralized nature of Diaspora would prevent any one entity running an instance of the open source software from disclosing information on every other instance. If you ran your own instance you could control what parties you disclose information to as well as what you are disclosing.
            This is interesting. The theory then is that I could potentially run an instance on my own hardware and only share what I want with other instances?

As far as Facebook starting out as a conservative way for friends to stay in touch; the quotes from Zuckerberg shortly after the creation of Facebook shows that privacy was likely NEVER a concern at all. Especially when one of the founders is offering to give up personal information on a whim.
            True.

Comment

I just completely purged myself from Facebook. It's about time. I'm sick of all the security/privacy concerns. Anyone else doing anything similar?
              I seriously thought about it, but there are still occasions where people get in touch with me through FB where they probably otherwise wouldn't have.

I keep the information there to a minimum that could probably be found with google anyway if you were dedicated enough to finding it. I don't let people write on my wall or tag me in pictures. Most of the personal info fields I've left blank and I've never allowed any FB "app" to do anything. The way they keep adding "features" and opt you in by default is annoying and dangerous but I just try to keep up with it. Besides, do you really think you are now truly purged from the FB databases?

Comment

Never went on it, and I am glad.

Comment

I can understand the gripe about facebook and the privacy issues. However, I'm not concerned for my information. I saw the same article on Gizmodo yesterday, but my only thought on it was that the guy was 19, a college student (which probably means he was drunk, high, hungover, or about to be one of those), and acting like a d-bag. How many of us didnt act like d-bags at one point or another when we were 19? None of us. We're no angels.

I've been on the internet since I was in second grade, using a computer at school to send one line messages to another school across town that took 5 minutes to get there. It's been a long time. If someone wants my personal details, they're pretty much welcome to them from any number of sources at this point. My secure details are exactly that, secure. My social is nowhere to be found as far as I know (facebook certainly doesnt have it). My drivers license number is available through DMV records, but so is everyone else's. My online banking uses a randomly generated 26 digit password that one of those nifty key-fob type things makes up every 24 hours. Hell, even my address and phone number are on facebook! But I've never had anyone show up at my door or call me saying they got it from facebook, and I cant even begin to count the number of times I've given that information out in public places, in full earshot of any number of people I dont know.

The information I have of facebook? You know, I really could care less if someone looks at my pictures. I dont have anything lewd or super-private on there. I dont have any pictures that potential employers could see that would wreck my chances. Oh god, is he really climbing a mountain and drinking water out of a camelbak?! If someone really wants to look into my interests and see that I like camping and being a champion procrastinator, they can have fun with that. Oh, and did I mention that my musical tastes range from fleetwood mac to beethoven to gwar? I can certainly see where that could be damaging...right? Bottom line is that I use facebook for social purposes. I keep up with relatives, I keep up with friends, I occasionally play poker. Everything I put on facebook and any of the conversations I have, I'd be more than willing to air in public anyway.

I guess my point is that if you're paranoid about things like being tagged in pictures or letting people post things on your wall or the nature of the social information you have on facebook, you never should have been there in the first place and should probably be doing some serious self-evaluation. If you're afraid that pictures might be incriminating or embarrassing in some fashion, heres a tip: DONT BE IN EMBARRASSING OR INCRIMINATING PICTURES! If your friends are posting things on your wall that give you pause, maybe you ought to try talking to them and asking them to keep it civil and mature.

Dont get me wrong, as I said earlier, I can understand the beef with it. Facebook feeling like they have the right to just open up your data, regardless of what it is, to third parties so they can make money off of the linking revenue is absurd. It also opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for spam based on your information when you visit websites that facebook has given your information to. But I've always been fairly dilligent about spam filtering and with all the tools around these days, its not hard. And if one of my friends sees that I'm listening to Toto (if you're not an 80s or earlier child, you wont know who they are) on pandora, I dont have a problem with that.

Facebook's move just gave people an excuse to be angry. Truth be told, how many of you can say that you've NEVER put your private information on a website before, whether it's filling out a form, getting an insurance quote, whatever. I doubt any one of us could make that claim. You think that just because the little lock icon shows up in some part of your browser indicating that the site is "secure", it really is? You know how easy it is to get a personal SSL certificate (which I bet nobody ever checks when they're entering personal information) and apply it to a website? I could make my personal blog site "secure" in about 5 minutes. Does that mean that you should feel safe giving me your personal information because the site is secure? No. But that little lock icon does the trick for most people, makes them feel safe. Facebook just did the opposite and told everyone that they're giving out the information they have.

EDIT, I'll tell you what, I'll open up my page for one day. Make everything I have on facebook available to the public. Please, feel free to browse my profile, which I'll link to below. Dig into it. Look at my pictures. Read my wall posts. Check out my notes. Browse my info page. Then come back here and tell me how much stuff you find on me on facebook that I should be afraid of. I'd really like an objective opinion on how making a goofy face for the camera can be damaging to me. By the way, the only time the full profile will be viewable is if you are logged into facebook, whether you're on my friends list or not. However, even if you dont have an account, you can still see some of my details from the page that comes up asking you if you want to make an account.
                  Link:
                  http://www.facebook.com/TheShortGuy
                  Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    I am on it. There is nothing there of mine except a couple of pictures of my family. I don't get the whole "social" thing but it makes my mom happy.

The only time I go there is when someone asks to be my friend. I accept and then I leave.

I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
                    Same here. After the failure that was Orkut (Hey, remember that? old, huge social networking site? Run by Google? Yeah, didn't think so. It's now populated almost exclusively by Brazillians, Portuguese, and Indians after a series of dumb, DUMB security/virus/etc issues) which I almost never updated even after putting my info on there, I've never felt the need for other social sites unlike everyone else. My Orkut page is still there, with things like my picture, real name, and interests, because it was more of a friend/dating/etc kind of networking site than a generic site like facebook.

I tried Livejournal, couldn't keep to a decent schedule, and almost never logged in (my 2 entries are deleted now since I haven't logged in for like, 4 years.) I grew bored of reading other people's stuff and being unable to really contribute beyond a few paragraphs, and 99% of the stuff was utter drivel. I have a Myspace page, only to check on one person's page which updates every few months if that, because it's set to private. Heck, I think Twitter is an abomination, and only got on it for the Iran thing last year.

I just don't understand this stuff, or it's requirements nowadays for jobs even (I've seen job listings that required X number of friends on facebook or folllowers on twitter, for example) when 99% of the stuff is utter crap.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I found this quite interesting:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

Facebook originally earned its core base of users by offering them simple and powerful controls over their personal information. As Facebook grew larger and became more important, it could have chosen to maintain or improve those controls. Instead, it's slowly but surely helped itself and its advertising and business partners to more and more of its users' information, while limiting the users' options to control their own information.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                        I just don't understand this stuff, or it's requirements nowadays for jobs even (I've seen job listings that required X number of friends on facebook or folllowers on twitter, for example) when 99% of the stuff is utter crap.
                        Link?

I agree on the crap to readable stuff except the crap is closer to 99.999999999% of all the information.

The one thing professional media offers is a filter for the crap, which unfortunately carries with it inherent bias. Open communication is great, but self sorting makes it hard to find the good stuff. Rating systems are only so good because the people voting are also the people who find it necessary to post part of that 99.9999999999% crap :P
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I don't have time to dig up the article, but it's actually AGAINST Facebooks TOS to not keep your personal info up to date.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            I guess my point is that if you're paranoid about things like being tagged in pictures or letting people post things on your wall or the nature of the social information you have on facebook, you never should have been there in the first place and should probably be doing some serious self-evaluation. If you're afraid that pictures might be incriminating or embarrassing in some fashion, heres a tip: DONT BE IN EMBARRASSING OR INCRIMINATING PICTURES! If your friends are posting things on your wall that give you pause, maybe you ought to try talking to them and asking them to keep it civil and mature.
                            There are some things I like and some I don't. I shouldn't have to take or leave the whole thing. With the huge, diverse population of facebook and the fuzzy permissions about who can do what with your profile I want to make sure the contents of my profile are under my control. People tended to write me messages relevant only to me by wall post, probably not realizing the difference between that and a direct message. I doubt any tagged pictures or wall posts would hurt me in any way but why worry about it when you don't have to? I doubt you trust the hundred people listed as friends that much more than I trust mine. (Or is it friends of friends that you have to trust? Then we are talking ten thousand people.)

Originally posted by http://www.facebook.com/TheShortGuy
                            Alexander only shares some of his profile information with everyone.
                            We obviously use facebook differently. I don't use facebook to communicate with people. I rarely log in but keep a profile enough that people can look me up or connect via friends of friends and communicate with me the way I want (email, phone, etc). To me that's social networking. The rest is microblogging and games that I'm not interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by facebook
                              Alexander only shares some of his profile information with everyone.
                              the interesting thing about that is the fact that I went in and set my profile so that anyone could see anything. bar none.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X