I voted today, and failed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I voted today, and failed...

For the first time in the last 15 years or so, I voted without taking the time to research the ballot. I did not recognize a lot of the names and I pretty much randomly chose when in doubt. That got me thinking about why the current state of the 2 party system is such a failure (and this was the primaries, just one party to vote in). Far too often folks just vote party lines without thought of who they are voting for (primarily because both parties are now so far from moderate). I actually feel my vote has value, and I feel like I cheapened it today.

It made a commitment to myself never to walk in blind like that again.
    sigpic

Re: I voted today, and failed...

Coffee party.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.
      What party did you vote for ?
      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
      So that when they turn their backs on you,
      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

What election is this?
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Multiple state primaries.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

In SC you can choose which party to vote in for the primaries. I chose Republican because I wanted to vote for someone besides Nikki Haley (or whatever her name is). I normally research and choose whichever one I feel is more important to cast my vote in. I lean conservative but very close to the middle with a lot of overlap depending on the topic (ie personally I am pro life, but do not feel it is my place to make anyone else pro life, thus I am pro choice, very democrat). I feel everyone has the right to own whatever gun or guns they choose, except for convicted criminals (yeah there is more to that, but too long to elaborate), generally a Republican view. Not sure if that answers your question Callous :)
            sigpic

Comment

There's a term for what you did, Spur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_ignorance

I always submit a ballot, but I don't mark in any race I'm not familiar with or don't care about.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

No, seriously, what I did was not rational ignorance, not any kind of ignorance. It was stupid, plain and simple. I had full grasp of my faculties. I willfully ignored my own principles. Yeah it could semantically be argued as rational ignorance, but that is painting a pretty name on a turd :-p
                sigpic

Comment

I knew a couple of issues on the primaries and only voted for those. In the long run I think if anything it makes what issues I did choose to vote on more meaningful, since those were the issues I chose to vote on. I only really wound up voting for governor, the propositions, and I think a representative. It's okay if you walk in not knowing a lot about the issues you're about to vote on, just please only vote on the ones you do. I'd rather have informed decisions than uninformed. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X