Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrician Question

Hi Folks,
    Any Electricians out there in TG land? I have a Question...

Is it CODE to put exposed ROMEX 12-2 in a Garage in Conduit of some sort? Or is exposed Romex ok stapled to a frame?

Secondly..I put a 60 Amp Service in my garage a few years back (Square D box) and ran the Underground Conduit up from the floor to the BOX. Well, I just realized that I put the BOx in Upside down (The Printing on the box is upside down)..to make it easier/cleaner to bring the main power into the box. Is that a Code Violation?

Thanks
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Electrician Question

I'm not a registered electrician but I have participated in rewiring a new home and was involved with the compliance during new home purchase. A home inspection for a sale (here) did not care about the exposed Molex or direction of a box for resale although it would not actually pass compliance if it was inspected by code. I do know that other states/cities do require conduits for Molex that would otherwise be exposed for home sale so I would strongly suggest contacting your local government for code compliance requirements in your area.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Thanks for the info... I am puttiing in a Swimming pool pump that needs inspected and I am going to run a new GFI in Conduit for that run (inside the garage)..I just don't want to be nailed for old work on this inspection..
      I think we (our area) is using the Universal Building Code.. or whatever the National Standard is..
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Since your area might even require a specific material for the conduit I'd still recommend contacting your local code enforcement to ensure you don't have to do it more than once, or if they are picky about the box text direction. They won't care about when the work was done when they inspect or what the standards were at that time :)

I found this as a possible resource on ROMEX (I said Molex earlier, just rebuilt my comp :)) : http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...mexconduit.htm

There is also a published book by NEC as shown here for reference: http://www.dli.mn.gov/CCLD/Electrical.asp
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Pear how did you make out on this? I work for NFPA and we publish the NEC. I can send along your question to one of the electrical engineers here at my work.

The real test will be when the authority having jurisdiction inspects your installation. Though NFPA writes the book it's really all about how the AHJ interprets the code.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed