X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS shoots down Chicago gun ban

High Courtís Big Ruling For Gun Rights
    http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2...or-gun-rights/

In its second major ruling on gun rights in three years, the Supreme Court Monday extended the federally protected right to keep and bear arms to all 50 states. The decision will be hailed by gun rights advocates and comes over the opposition of gun control groups, the city of Chicago and four justices.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: SCOTUS shoots down Chicago gun ban

http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/28/su...erturns-chicag

Today the Supreme Court ruled that Chicago's handgun ban violates the right to keep and bear arms. The 5-to-4 decision confirms that the Second Amendment binds state and local governments as well as federal domains such as the District of Columbia, which had a similar gun law that the Court overturned in the landmark 2008 case D.C. v. Heller. The Court ruled that the Second Amendment, like most other protections in the Bill of Rights, applies to the states by way of the 14th Amendment's Due Process Clause. It rejected an invitation to revive the amendment's Privileges or Immunities Clause, a more plausible basis for incorporation.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/the-s...ay-a-round-up/

In another 5-4 vote (surprise surprise), the Court vindicates gun rights. Per Erin Miller: “The opinion [by Alito] concludes that the 14th Amendment does incorporate the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller to keep and bear arms in self defense.” There’s a split among the five justices in the majority re: the path of incorporation, Due Process (Alito) vs. Privileges or Immunities (Thomas), but as Goldstein notes, “the difference between the majority and Justice Thomas doesn’t affect the fact that the Second Amendment now applies to state and local regulation.” As for the fate of the specific Chicago gun ordinance at issue in McDonald, that’s left to the Seventh Circuit on remand.
      Lots of details at SCOTUS Wiki:

http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?...ity_of_Chicago

Comment

It's a great victory for gun rights. The conservative wing of the Supreme Court would be of NO use to America if it weren't for their advocacy of gun rights. So, instead of being 100% worthless, they're only 90% worthless. This is the only issue they champion for the citizen, most of their other opinions embrace more power for the government. If only liberal judges would support gun rights, then there would be no reason to nominate a neoconservative ideologue like John Roberts to the Supreme Court.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Finally, a strike at the messed up gun laws here in Chicago. Unfortunately, the mayor is still trying his best to circumvent the ruling's precedence by limiting Chicago residents to only one handgun (or at least that's what I caught on the radio yesterday).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I support this SCOTUS ruling!

Also, awesome thread title :)
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Good. Banning hand guns is like banning drugs. Only makes things worse.

I think this will actually help things in the long run. Put more emphasis on preventing violent crime and enforce (and maybe even increase) punishment for those who use firearms during a crime.

I would like to see a city like Chicago, who doesn't seem to have a problem messing with firearm advocates, put in some tough ownership responsibilities. Like if a gun you purchased/owned is ever used in a crime you get a hefty fine. Or if a gun you owned ever ends up injuring somebody you get fined. And if your gun is stolen and you didn't secure it you are responsible, to some small extent, if it is used in a crime in the future.

I would also like to see some kind of mandatory firearm training that must be performed every x years. Actual gun enthusiasts shouldn't have any problems maintaining some kind of proficiency with their firearm. And it works well with the whole militia idea.

I have absolutely no problems with firearms of any kind. I have a problem with too many people not taking firearms ownership seriously enough.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have absolutely no problems with firearms of any kind.
                Except that guns and the right to keep and bear them should be treated completely different from any other object or right.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
                  Except that guns and the right to keep and bear them should be treated completely different from any other object or right.
                  Misusing freedom of speech and misusing Gun ownership have entirely different consequences. Should they be treated equal?

Comment

This was a great ruling! Once this is fully implemented, I honestly believe Chicago's violent crime rates are going to decrease. It happened here in Texas when they started concealed carry. There were drastically good results. Things were much more dangerous here in SA when I was a kid. Now, carjackings are pretty much a thing of the past. Sure, it still happens once in a while, but it's super rare now.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Repaq View Post
                      Misusing freedom of speech and misusing Gun ownership have entirely different consequences. Should they be treated equal?
                      That's very true. Misuse of a firearm could affect one or two people. Misuse of freedom of speech could affect billions. Just ask the Chinese government.

Comment

Originally posted by Repaq View Post
                        The supreme court seems to believe that while both the first and the second amendments are subject to reasonable restrictions, they are protecting fundamental rights.

So yeah, pretty much.

Cars kill way more people than guns. If a thief steals your car and kills someone trying to get away, should you be liable? Why is a gun different?

If you'd like to argue that that the second amendment is different because it's so dangerous, I'd point out that if we allowed that thinking to extend to the fourth, fifth, sixth, and eight amendments, we would catch, convict, and remove a lot more criminals for everyone's safety. They are inherently extremely dangerous amendments. Many crimes have gone unsolved, and many criminals have gone free because of them.

I'd really like to hear someone make the case that despite of that, the second amendment is different from all the others and why. I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

Comment

I'm confused.
                          Who is pro-gun and who is anti-gun ?
                          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                          So that when they turn their backs on you,
                          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                            I'm confused.
                            Who is pro-gun and who is anti-gun ?
                            Not sure, but it would appear that almost everyone here at least supports the SCOTUS decision. The Chicago (and the old DC ban that was shot down last year) were completely unreasonable. Sure, local/state government should be allowed to determine REASONABLE regulations, but I think most people on both sides of the fence didn't agree with a 100% ban on them. BTW, I happen to be very pro-gun, but to a reasonable level. I don't think people should be allowed to have rpg's, fully automatic assault rifles, bazookas, etc, but I don't like the idea of gun registration, limits on the # of guns you can have, things like that. Personally, I'm very satisfied with the way things currently are in Texas. I think it's a great compromise for all. Sure, there's SOME regulation, but it's quite reasonable in my opinion.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

It's pro-rights, not pro-gun. I'm in favor of retaining the right for people to have guns, but I wouldn't promote the idea that everyone should have a gun.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X