Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary school offers condoms

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/24/mas...oms/index.html

The policy -- passed this month -- has no minimum age on supplying condoms to students. It allows nurses to give condoms to students they think are sexually active after counseling and education without informing their parents.

Provincetown school district superintendent, Beth Singer, who wrote the policy, said she wanted to ensure students of all ages requesting condoms get information on their use.

"Sex has no age limit. It's an individual scenario for each person," Singer said. "We can't put out an age for using condoms."
    Prior discussion on the topic:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...-means-no.html
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Elementary school offers condoms

I think it is good that the superintendent realizes that arbitrary age limits are counterproductive and that students are more likely to come to get information if they believe it is confidential, which is why the parents are not informed. While I prefer parental contact I'm realistic and would rather have lack of contact to encourage student openness with trained staff.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Singer said the policy is being misunderstood and was never intended for elementary school students.

It makes it clear that "we are against (students) being sexually active," she said.
      It's not so much the elementary school supplying condoms -- its the school district that contains the elementary school revising its overall policy on condoms, and removing specific age limits. Doesn't seem quite so bad in those terms.

Comment

Good. I'm glad they realized that if kids need condoms, its better that they can get them freely and confidentially, rather than having an underage kid risk getting pregnant.
        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
          So that when they turn their backs on you,
          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I do see one drawback: For the enterprising student who buys condoms at the pharmacy and resells them to his shyer classmates, it's going to cut into his profits. :p
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X