• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Schoolboy Dies After 12 Hours of Computer Gaming

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/06/21/deadboy.shtml
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Russian Schoolboy Dies After 12 Hours of Computer Gaming

The death of a child is tragic, no matter what the circumstances. I hope anyone posting in this particular thread doesn't forget the subject at hand.

Does anyone here know for a medical fact if an epileptic siezure can lead to a stroke? I don't believe it could, but I'm the guy that stabalises you and calls the paramedics, so this is beyond my knowledge.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Wow thats scary... Ive been known to play at my house from 6am till 2am then do it again the next day... Only leaving enough time to eat/sleep...

Im thinking im going to have to back off a little while.
      Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
        Wow thats scary... Ive been known to play at my house from 6am till 2am then do it again the next day... Only leaving enough time to eat/sleep...

Im thinking im going to have to back off a little while.

I donít believe anyone has anything worry about as long as you take breaks to eat and go to the bathroom.

When you take your breaks, stretch and move around at little to get the blood flowing and relieve tension.

I suspect these 12 hour stints didnít involve much other than sitting and playing a game. I know I can feel pretty drained after playing for a few hours. I couldnít imagine how crappy I would feel after 12 straight.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

awww.Crap, does this mean Iíll have to lay off my games or something? Cuz Iím addicted to CSS, NS, and runescape

Comment

I've never heard of epileptic seizures leading to a stroke, but I have a friend who has these siezures and isn't allowed to play console or computer games.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

A bit of the Ol' Google revealed that seizures can occur with or without a stroke. Sometimes mini-strokes are mis-diagnosed as seizures. It all depends of whether there is neurovascular tearing (and bleeding) as a result of the seizure.

Comment

Originally posted by TFA
                The emotional tension resulted in a congestion of blood vessels in the brain, the doctor concluded.
                This is why I don't necessarily trust a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                  This is why I don't necessarily trust a doctor.
                  Its a RUSSIAN doctor. What does he know?

Comment

We must also consider that if the boy is spending the majority of his time doing ANY activity that there's a high probability that anything that happens to him might well occur during that time. If I spend 12 hours a day watching TV and one day spontaneously combust while watching TV, my combustion was not necessarily caused by the TV watching, it's just that I spend most of my time watching TV and therefore that's probably what I'll be doing when something happens to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                      We must also consider that if the boy is spending the majority of his time doing ANY activity that there's a high probability that anything that happens to him might well occur during that time. If I spend 12 hours a day watching TV and one day spontaneously combust while watching TV, my combustion was not necessarily caused by the TV watching, it's just that I spend most of my time watching TV and therefore that's probably what I'll be doing when something happens to me.
                      Good point... goes along with the thought that there may very well have been a preexisting condition that noone knew about.
                      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Root

Does anyone here know for a medical fact if an epileptic siezure can lead to a stroke? I don't believe it could, but I'm the guy that stabalises you and calls the paramedics, so this is beyond my knowledge.

Root
                        From WebMd:

Epileptic Seizure: Red Flag for Stroke

Seizures After Age 60 Mean Threefold Higher Stroke Risk

April 9, 2004 -- An unexplained epileptic seizure is a red flag: After age 60, a seizure could mean a great risk for stroke, new research shows.

A first-time seizure after age 60 means an almost threefold higher risk of stroke, reports lead researcher Paul Cleary, MD, with Scotland's Gartnaval General Hospital in Glasgow. His study appears in this week's issue of The Lancet.

...snip...

Other studies have suggested that epileptic seizures in some people are the first manifestation of otherwise concealed stroke -- damage to blood vessels in the brain, writes Cleary.

Brain scans of stroke patients have shown previously unsuspected stroke-related lesions on the brain, he writes. Therefore, finding a risk factor for future strokes could be very important in targeting preventive strategies.

Another study found that epilepsy was more common among stroke patients. "These findings suggested that epilepsy may be a harbinger of future stroke," Clearly writes.

Comment

The report seems very subjective to me, as if it's almost blaming the boys death directly as a result of gaming. I'd like to know what his diet was for the last 12 months. Even if by some mystery he did pass away from this, it is such an isolated case that it is nothing to worry about. There's far more chance a child will be killed on the roads or rock climbing , and some prespective must be given here. This looks like a typical case of the media, once again, stirring things up.
                          Jex.

Comment

When I read the article, I didn't take away that they are blaming it on gaming. Yes, he was gaming and for an extended period of time, but not sure they are blaming it.... yet.
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

At least he died doing what he loved.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X