Eminent Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminent Domain

Thoughts? At least now we can make all of the poor people move out of the ghettos and replace them with prime downtown condos.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062301786.html

Re: Eminent Domain

Well, eminent domain is a law that any industrial nation needs to have. The question, IMO, is whether or not it's being abused. The law was meant to allow the government to displace individuals for the good of society. A stadium I can understand, but a shopping mall? The fact that I question one, but not the other shows that it's a judgement call. It should be put to a city-wide vote, IMO.

Comment

That had better be a DAMN fine shopping mall. :)
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I thought that decision was horrible and hope another test case comes up again after the next appointment. Imagine some grandma living in the house she raised her children in going up against the lobbying efforts of a big time commercial real-estate developer.

If the developer had to buy the property, she'd get top dollar. If the city seizes her property, she gets much less. There is huge incentive to game the system and contradicts the ownership society the President wishes to build.

This decision was terrible.

Comment

A law that lets government buy up run down unused properties to build housing is one thing. A law that makes people sell their homes so that businesses can make money?? Sometimes there are absolutes in life. This law is absolutely wrong.

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

This is an unbelievable ruling.

I have nothing else to say other than WTF?! :( :( :(

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
              If the developer had to buy the property, she'd get top dollar. If the city seizes her property, she gets much less.
              The government is required to pay "fair market value".

Comment

Which is defined as whatever they can convince an estimator to value the house at.
                not what it would actually sell for.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I see both sides of it, actually. The properties were condemned to begin with, and the city wanted to reclaim it. Under eminent domain, they don't have to pay anything: they can just seize it, but aparently, they are willing to pay something just so they aren't complete arses about it.

But having Scalia, Thomas, O'Connor, and Renquist on the same dissent makes me think that there is something just doesn't fit with this decision. I'll have to read it when I get a chance, but I'm taking time off from anything law related.

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                    The government is required to pay "fair market value".
                    Yeah well they don't unless and until you lawyer up and then you don't get the money either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                      This is an unbelievable ruling.

I have nothing else to say other than WTF?! :( :( :(
                      I second that. This to me is offensive...it stands against one of the principles this Country/Government was founded on: "Life, Liberty and Property." The Government seizing lands for corporate development...this will become so corrupt it's going to be Insane! think of the kick backs and bribes to public officials this will generate...all in the interest of the common good. my ass!

too bad the Libertarian party can't get their act together...the dems make me want to vomit with their social programs...and the Republicans with their right wing religious fringe and corporate whoring aren't much better.

Dirt013
                      Dirt013

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                        A law that lets government buy up run down unused properties to build housing is one thing. A law that makes people sell their homes so that businesses can make money?? Sometimes there are absolutes in life. This law is absolutely wrong.

Root

this may very well be a first.

agreed 100%

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt013
                          I second that. This to me is offensive...it stands against one of the principles this Country/Government was founded on: "Life, Liberty and Property." The Government seizing lands for corporate development...this will become so corrupt it's going to be Insane! think of the kick backs and bribes to public officials this will generate...all in the interest of the common good. my ass!

too bad the Libertarian party can't get their act together...the dems make me want to vomit with their social programs...and the Republicans with their right wing religious fringe and corporate whoring aren't much better.
                          Preach it!

And if any of you are unfamilier with the Libertarian Party, take this little quiz.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                            Which is defined as whatever they can convince an estimator to value the house at.
                            not what it would actually sell for.
                            ....and if they can prove that your land is more valuable as a center lane of a super slab highway rather than a shanty they will give you MUCH less than what you could sell it for.

The court left the door open for cities and counties to make their own laws governing this. I just hope they have enough sense to walk through it.
                            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              Preach it!

And if any of you are unfamilier with the Libertarian Party, take this little quiz.
                              this is what i scored,
                              ACCORDING TO YOUR ANSWERS,

The political description that
                              fits you best is...

LIBERAL

LIBERALS usually embrace freedom of choice in personal
                              matters, but tend to support significant government control of the
                              economy. They generally support a government-funded "safety net"
                              to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulation
                              of business. Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations,
                              defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action
                              to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

actually i would put that bang on, accept i like to think of my self as "third-way" which this does not cater for really, but thats actually quite accurate.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X