Links to al-Qaida?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to al-Qaida?

I was just reading this article on NPR this morning about the horrible bombing in Uganda.

Bombs Strike World Cup Watchers In Uganda

Explosions tore through crowds watching the World Cup final at a rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant, killing at least 74 people including an American aid worker, officials said. Police feared an al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group was behind the attacks.
    Now, I have no evidence to refute the claim that these terrorists were indeed linked to al-Qaida. And, indeed, my post is purely opinion. But, do you ever notice how almost every single terrorist attack in the world has become somehow linked to al-Qaida. I'm under the opinion that this practice - by various government authorities and media - of applying this label, is overused and misleading. The media used to question this type of so-called connection, but hardly anymore. Like this article from 2003:

Does al-Qaeda exist?

Some terrorism experts doubt it. Adam Dolnik and Kimberly McCloud reckon it's time we 'defused the widespread image of al-Qaeda as a ubiquitous, super-organised terror network and call it as it is: a loose collection of groups and individuals that doesn't even refer to itself as al-Qaeda'. Dolnik and McCloud - who first started studying terrorism at the prestigious Monterey Institute of International Studies in California - claim it was Western officials who imposed the name 'al-Qaeda' on to disparate radical Islamic groups and who blew Osama bin Laden's power and reach 'out of proportion'. Both are concerned about the threat of terror, but argue that we should 'debunk the myth of al-Qaeda' (2).

There is a 'rooted public perception of what al-Qaeda is', says Dolnik, who is currently carrying out research on the Terrorism and Political Violence Programme at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies in Singapore; but, he says, such perceptions are far from accurate. Dolnik argues that where many imagine that al-Qaeda is 'a super organisation of thousands of super-trained and super-secret members who can be activated any minute', in fact it is better understood as something like a 'global ideology that has not only attracted many smaller regional groups, but has also facilitated the boom of new organisations that embrace this sort of radical and violent thinking'. Dolnik and others believe that, in many ways, the thing we refer to as 'al-Qaeda' is largely a creation of Western officials.
    Nowdays, hardly anyone questions the supposed link to al-Qaeda or whether the percieved global threat is credible. Now, there are a lot of militant groups out there that want to hurt America, and there are more now than before 9/11. This is in large part due to the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and US meddling in the Middle East. But mostly the overblown government threat assesments and media hype are just that, overblown hype. The BBC made a documentary with a segment about this issue:

I'm just thinking that there isn't really a worldwide, well funded, super-terrorist group called al-Qaeda, or al-Qaida - take your pick, that is giving orders to a global network of terrorists. This is not to say that we should dismiss terrorist groups and not be vigilant, but just think about the next time you read or watch the media say "Links to al-Qaida." What evidence do the media really have when they parrot that statement from some government official? Probably not much.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Links to al-Qaida?

In the 1990s al-Qaeda freely trained 1000s (some say over 10,000) militants in their unique and aggressive form of guerrilla warfare from their camps in southern Afghanistan around Jalalabad. These militants defused themselves to radical islamist groups across Central Asia, Africa, Europe, South Asia and the Near East. Obviously, a significant portion of these fighters don't take operational or tactical advice from the higher-echelons of al-qaeda there is, however, significant overlap in their financing. (wohabist gulf Arabs) and although strategically al-Qaeda commanders may not approve or plan attacks they certainly still inspire them.

Indeed, Al-qaeda "isn't really a worldwide, well funded, super-terrorist group", rather they are a diffuse band of highly-motivated militants tied by a strong central ideology with advanced operational tactics. Their diffuse nature and 'cellular' organizational structure makes them significantly more effective and dangerous than if they had a more hierarchical one.

Now to this specific instance; assuming it was perpetrated by militants from southern Somali and not the LRA or another indigenous Ugandan faction (which I think is more likely) the militant group in question would be Al-Shabaab (the young men in Arabic). This organization is a radical offshoot of the ICU (Islamic Courts Union) the lions share of which joined the TFG (Transitional Federal Government) when it was formed in Dijibouti in 2006. With the moderate factions of the ICU joining the TFG, only the radical Al-Shabaab Islamists were left. Moreover, Al-Qaeda is well known to have a presence in Southern Somalia. As early as 1992 (when Osama Bin Laden was in Sudan) it is known he sent representatives to Somali to assist the warlords against the UN humanitarian relief force. More recently, Al-qaeda commanders have been killed by AC-130 strikes and helicopter strikes by American forces in the rolling hills of Southern Somalia. Furthermore, Al-Shabaab has a strong motivation to attack Uganda. Several thousand Ugandan troops are stationed in Mogadishu under the AU's mandate there. Also, there are rumors that the EU will sponsor a Somalia police training site in Uganda staffed by 200 Spanish soldiers

So assuming it was in fact Al-Shabaab that initiated these attacks it seems quite reasonable to assert they have links to al-qeada.

Comment

My first thought upon reading the title and the first quoted paragraph was that the link to the Somalis was simply that AQ provided training.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I did not know a lot about this, but it seems that anyone can just claim they are AQ themself. Like you being able to wear a TG tag if are willing to play a decent game. In the end someone might have no connection to AQ until after they did something.

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

9/11 was a test to see what the government could get away with...

surprisingly it worked.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post

surprisingly it worked.
            Either you are joking, serious or didn't convey your message in the way intended. In all three cases I find your post offensive and trolling, even if it is ignorant of reality.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

surprisingly it worked.
              Respectfully, please take a break from whatever is causing this type of thinking. It's possible that you may be buying into too many rabbit holes, and here's the problem with what your doing. There are SO MANY documented, factual, and credible analysis of shady government, corporate, and banking exploits that there is no reason to entertain any theories. The facts are sufficient enough to indict or expose those entities mentioned on any number of egregious policies or practices. Therefore, it is not necessary to engage in conspiracies to get your point across. The collusion and cooperation of these power structures is evident and clear to see, but that does not mean it's a worldwide conspiracy to enslave the planet. Or, that 9/11 was an inside job, as some would say.
              |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mamahmed View Post
                I did not know a lot about this, but it seems that anyone can just claim they are AQ themself. Like you being able to wear a TG tag if are willing to play a decent game. In the end someone might have no connection to AQ until after they did something.
                Right, this article is pretty interesting.

Is Al Qaeda Now Just a Brand?

"To some extent," he says, "Al Qaeda has developed as a shorthand term for any radical Islamic extremist of the Sunni persuasion. It's so much easier than explaining where exactly on the spectrum of fundamental Islam a particular individual is."
                |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

surprisingly it worked.
                  The thing that makes this line of thinking amusing is that honest belief in it has to include the condition that "the government" is competent enough to actually orchestrate such a convoluted and circuitous plot, maintaining the masquerade through the planning, execution, and post-execution stages. And no, the conspiracy theorists shouting about how everything has been 'shopped and they can tell from seeing a lot of photoshops don't count as being "tools of the masquerade" or some such silliness.

Granted, that's the general issue with most, if not all, conspiracy theories.

Comment

Please, more thoughts about the nebulosity of Al-Qaeda, less responses to Extinct's trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                      Either you are joking, serious or didn't convey your message in the way intended. In all three cases I find your post offensive and trolling, even if it is ignorant of reality.
                      Oh wow! We actually agree on something! I think I'm gonna cry. I wish I could buy you a beer, man! Haha.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        Oh wow! We actually agree on something! I think I'm gonna cry. I wish I could buy you a beer, man! Haha.
                        I still believe he has the right to say stupid crap, I just have the right to call him out on it :)
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

The problem with everyone and their dog having links to Al Qaeda is that, according to US intel comments[1], there are about 500 Al Qaeda operatives left. They must be some very busy operatives, to train and coordinate that enormous global network of cells.

I'm with the "brand" theory.

[1] http://defensetech.org/2010/07/01/in...00-operatives/

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                          --BlackMirror
                          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                          --Blackraven93

Comment

In which case Obama's latest statement might just have some impact.
                            He calls AQ racist for how they disregard the lives of Africans and while it seems cheap since they kill everyone in their way with little regard to nationality, if it disrupts the brand then it weakens AQ.
                            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                            So that when they turn their backs on you,
                            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

So if the "brand" theory is true, does that mean that after all AQ operatives are dealt with there are still going to be others joining (even if there is nothing there). Is AQ going to last a very long time?

|TG| Buletproof_Bob

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X