X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Korea deploys robotic sentry

I initially found this on Slashdot:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...r-Robot-In-DMZ

Anyone have any idea who's making the system or any details about it?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: South Korea deploys robotic sentry

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post

I initially found this on Slashdot:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...r-Robot-In-DMZ

Anyone have any idea who's making the system or any details about it?
    Typical...they jump the gun...it's not actually happening yet.

Fully Automated Sentry Robot Introduced by Samsung That Can Track and Kill Humans.

Originally posted by TechnoSlum
    The robot was developed with the assistance of a South Korean university for deployment along the demilitarized zone between the North Korean and South Korean border. The northern border of South Korea is the most heavily militarized zone in the world, and the country has invested millions of dollars in automated military technology. According to Samsung, around 1,000 of the $200,000 units are expected to sell in the robot’s first year of release.
    It was developed by the Tactical arm of Samsung jointly (or perhaps consulted by) with a South Korean university with the intention of deployment in the DMZ zone. No one has said (that I've read) that they are in fact deploying it or deployed it.

I've seen similar systems on various other high-end military projects for the U.S. (one such project was featured on FutureWeapons).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What's different here is the ability to automatically fire without human intervention. And that's really a software difference, not a hardware one.

Automated deadly defense isn't new: we already have it in the form of mine fields and razor wire.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Love the music. Warner Bros FTW.

Comment

What's different here is the ability to automatically fire without human intervention. And that's really a software difference, not a hardware one.

Automated deadly defense isn't new: we already have it in the form of mine fields and razor wire.
          Aren't there automated SAM sites deployed overseas?

I'd still be scared to anywhere near that thing as a friendly. Maybe somehow the F/F detection isn't accurate enough and I get splattered all over the blacktop one day out of the blue.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've heard of a demo of an automated SAM system that went off the rails and almost turned on the review stand full of generals. I think a group on the field was killed. But I can't find it with google right now. Anyone?

Also recall the Phalanx anti-missile system deployed on ships to automatically shoot down incoming missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

Comment

I've heard of a demo of an automated SAM system that went off the rails and almost turned on the review stand full of generals. I think a group on the field was killed. But I can't find it with google right now. Anyone?
              See, hence why I wouldn't trust it not to shoot me in the butt.

Also recall the Phalanx anti-missile system deployed on ships to automatically shoot down incoming missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS
              Phalanx is a good one too, but I was thinking about some of the more remote SAM sights in I think Afghanistan and the Middle East (??). I remember reading about them on Military.com a year or so ago.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I can see two major classes of failure to worry about. One is similar to a person at a gun range having an epileptic fit with rifle in hand, spinning and spraying bullets in all directions. You defend against this by designing various kinds of "dead man's switches" into the system, so that if there's any failure in the control system, the whole thing goes safe.

The other class of failure would be a mis-identification of a potential friendly as a target. But that's also a problem you'll have with a human in the loop. Passive defenses (like mines and razor wire) don't even have the option of making that choice. They kill or maim whatever steps on them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X