Mosque to be built near New York's ground zero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosque to be built near New York's ground zero

Just saw this on CNN and saw some clips of people raging on islam and on the mosque. calling it "the center of terrorism". They were being completely racist on the people that follow islam.
    Here is the CNN article http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07...que/index.html

I certainly hope most americans do not feel this way about islam(eventhough a lot do). Islam is just another religion, another way of thinking, another culture, and it is up to NO ONE but themselves to decide how they want to leave and who to they want to pray. Can you imagine if the world was run by extreme catholics? that wouldn't be so fun either.

Blaming a religion and stopping them from building a place of worship is as wrong as someone could ever be. That is not the "America of freedom and tolerance" but a land of racism, intolerance with no liberty.

Here is the video of people arguing over the proposed mosque: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/07/14...id=35kMJqvAQuK

And another fail commercial:

FYI, I am not a muslim. It is just my point of view.

Re: Mosque to be built near New York's ground zero

The GOP, skewing the US history of religion since as far back as I can remember.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I thought the site was a few blocks away from Ground Zero, now they're wanting to build it on the site itself? Maybe I missed something.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Title of the thread is "...built near..." so my guess is the video is misleading but I cannot watch it until I get home.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

correct two blocks away

Comment

Well I work in NYC almost everyday, two blocks can still mean close enough to throw a rock at depending on which direction you are counting blocks. Think of how you would feel if you lost someone close to you there, even if Muslims are "mostly peaceful".

Here's a scenario:

Radical Christians hijack and fly an airliner into the building surrounding Kaaba and a few years later peace-loving, non-violent Christians want to build a church two blocks from it.

Think that would fly?

Comment

Radical Christians hijack and fly an airliner into the building surrounding Kaaba and a few years later peace-loving, non-violent Christians want to build a church two blocks from it.

Think that would fly?
              That's different, its a major religious icon. The trade center was a center of commerce and financial power, and the pentagon is the nerve center of our military forces. Not that it makes it any less horrific, but it points to the conflict being much more about politics than Christianity itself coming under attack in our country.

Comment

What is the name of the complex ?
                You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                So that when they turn their backs on you,
                You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                  What is the name of the complex ?
                  The Cordoba House, taken from their website:

Cordoba House is a Muslim-led project which will build a world-class facility that promotes tolerance, reflecting the rich diversity of New York City. The center will be community-driven, serving as a platform for inter-community gatherings and cooperation at all levels, providing a space for all New Yorkers to enjoy.

This proposed project is about promoting integration, tolerance of difference and community cohesion through arts and culture. Cordoba House will provide a place where individuals, regardless of their backgrounds, will find a center of learning, art and culture; and most importantly, a center guided by Islamic values in their truest form - compassion, generosity, and respect for all.

The site will contain tremendous amounts of resources that otherwise would not exist in Lower Manhattan; a 500-seat auditorium, swimming pool, art exhibition spaces, bookstores, restaurants - all these services would form a cultural nexus for a region of New York City that, as it continues to grow, requires the sort of hub that Cordoba House will provide.
                  http://www.cordobainitiative.org/?q=...-new-york-city

Just for reference, I'm also adding the goals of the group responsible for the ad:

Our Mission is to take back our country from the dangerous progressives that are hell-bent on destroying the American dream and expanding government control over every aspect of our daily lives. Our mission is to lead the new GOP and save our economy and our individual freedoms before it is too late.

The National Republican Trust PAC is committed to leading the conservative resurgence by harnessing grassroots talent, outrage, and commitment, and by conceiving massive independent expenditure ad campaigns that focus on specific elections and vital public policy issues.
                  http://www.goptrust.com/mission.html

Comment

They've renamed this project into Park51, given the religious implications of a "Cordoba" Initiative.

Cordoba is a city in Spain that housed the Great Mosque of Cordoba, captured by King Ferdinand III during the Spanish Reconquista. The Great Mosque of Cordoba (like Damascus) was a major structure in the Islamic world.

Considering the enormity of the terrorist act that colored New Yorkers' (and Americans) minds against Islam, I'll save any judgmental remarks against their emotional outcry against the mosque. It's not my place to comment upon their anger.

Comment

Wow, that video is extremely offensive. "They?" **** you GOP.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                        Wow, that video is extremely offensive. "They?" **** you GOP.
                        Tell me about it. that video enraged me more than anything

Comment

Yet the undeniable truth is that Islamic jihadists blew up the WTC/Pentagon.
                          Not men who cause man-caused disasters, terrorists who kill in the name of Islam.
                          To blame all Muslims is wrong, but so is excusing ALL of them because some portion of them do support the jihad and to pretend otherwise is foolish and dangerous.
                          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                          So that when they turn their backs on you,
                          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                            that video enraged me more than anything
                            Really, more than actual threats against my country? We cannot tolerate Muslim extremism that holds a literal view of the Qur'an. One can find lots of sayings in there that are encouraging violence towards non-Muslims, if taken plainly.

There's the question of taste. If these are all people who base their religion non-literally upon that book, one would think it best to use a place more distant from where others, who call themselves by the same name, have shed lots of literal blood.

sigpic
                            "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                            something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
                              If these are all people who base their religion non-literally upon that book, one would think it best to use a place more distant from where others, who call themselves by the same name, have shed lots of literal blood.
                              Deny rights of the many based on the wrongdoings of a few?
                              What if these same Muslims who are working to construct the Mosque believe that they are trying to represent, in some fashion, a support of America's fight against the extremists? It's hard for me to explain exactly what I mean by that, but what I'm trying to get across is that their intentions may be positive to us, but we're perhaps blinded by the prejudice we see against Muslims because of what has happened.

If anything, allowing them to build the Mosque would show that we as Americans do not have prejudice against a religion, race, or otherwise, regardless of the circumstances.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X