No announcement yet.

America's oldest family farm for sale

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's oldest family farm for sale

Dover, New Hampshire (CNN) -- The Tuttle farming legacy may come to an end soon.

Since 1635, the Tuttle farm has been passed from father to son and after years of thought, Will Tuttle has put what's known as the country's longest family-run farm up for sale.

As the 11th generation Tuttle man to farm this now 134-acre plot of land in New Hampshire, Will Tuttle says he has no regrets. "I'm not a museum curator, I'm a farmer," Tuttle says.

He's tall, lean and tanned from head to toe, apart from his red cheeks and white beard. Shaking his head underneath the beating sun, he adds, "I wasn't the first one. I may be the last one. You can't live anybody else's dream, and 57 years is enough."

Tuttle, now 63, left the farm to attend Tufts University in the 1970s. But after graduation, he grew tired of his job as a salesman and says he was drawn by the feeling of "self-reliance, satisfaction at the end of the day" that farming gave him.

"The variety of our lives here, as on every farm, is incredible," Tuttle says.

"Being out in the fresh air, being tired when I get home, that's all good stuff," he says, sighing, and adding that those also are the worst parts about farming. CNN.
    American nostalgia like this is so interesting to me. This farm has been owned and operated by the same family since 1635. That was a long run, and sadly it's ending. The full CNN article is pretty good and has a video.

This editorial from the New York Times sums up what has happened to many family farms in the US.

Death of a Farm

It is too simple to say, as the Tuttles have, that the recession killed a farm that had survived for nearly 400 years. What killed it was the economic structure of food production. Each year it has become harder for family farms to compete with industrial scale agriculture heavily subsidized by the government underselling them at every turn. In a system committed to the health of farms and their integration with local communities, the result would have been different. In 1632, and for many years after, the Tuttle farm was a necessity. In 2010, it is suddenly superfluous, or so we like to pretend.
    Last edited by mp40x; 08-01-2010, 12:06 PM.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed