Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetBlue Flight Attendant 'Rage Quits'

Fed-up attendant curses out fliers, exits JetBlue flight by emergency slide

A JetBlue flight attendant left his job in dramatic fashion yesterday, allegedly cursing out passengers on his flight before exiting via the plane's emergency exit -- beer in hand -- and eventually driving off in a car he had parked at the airport.

As you might expect, the story has become the talk of the industry, generating headlines and inspiring TV reports at media outlets from California to Europe.

ABC News is among the numerous outlets covering the story, writing that the incident came as the aircraft used on a Pittsburgh-to-New York JFK flight was taxiing to the gate on Monday around noon ET.

Then, ABC says "one of the passengers apparently got out of his seat to grab a bag from an overhead compartment. The flight attendant walked over to tell him he had to sit down. The two reportedly got into an argument and somehow the flight attendant got hit in the head with either the bag or the compartment door."

That's when things got interesting, according to the various media reports.

The Wall Street Journal writes the attendant -- Steve Slater -- "demanded an apology from the passenger, but the passenger refused to give one. The two argued back and forth before the passenger directed an expletive at Mr. Slater, [an airport] official said. Mr. Slater then got on the plane's PA system and directed the same obscenity at all the passengers, and added that he especially meant it for the man who refused to apologize, the official said."

"Then," The New York Times writes in its City Room blog, Slater "activated the inflatable evacuation slide at service exit R1; launched himself off the plane, an Embraer 190; ran to the employee parking lot; and left the airport in a car he had parked there." Additionally, the newspaper notes that "on his way out the door, he paused to grab a beer from the beverage cart."

The Associated Press says "Port Authority police were notified about 25 minutes later," which apparently allowed Slater enough time to board the JFK AirTrain, get to his car and drive to his home in nearby Queens. The Times notes he was "charged with felony counts of criminal mischief and reckless endangerment."

Speaking to the charges, an unnamed law enforcement official tells the Times: "When they hit that emergency chute, it drops down quickly within seconds. If someone was on the ground and it came down without warning, someone could be injured or killed."

ABC adds background on Slater, saying that according to his profile at the professional LinkedIn website, he was part of JetBlue's "inflight values committee" and was chairman of the "uniform redesign committee."

Regardless, Slater's dramatic exit left many at a loss for words -- including New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. "It's a strange way to quit, let's put it that way," he says to CNN. "I don't think he'll be able to come back."
    This is awesome. I especially love the part where he stops for a moment to take a couple of beers with him before he slides down the emergency exit of the plane. It's an absolute classic. :)
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: JetBlue Flight Attendant 'Rage Quits'

Speaking to the charges, an unnamed law enforcement official tells the Times: "When they hit that emergency chute, it drops down quickly within seconds. If someone was on the ground and it came down without warning, someone could be injured or killed."
    I hate it when "if" cases are presented without context. Was the plane in a location where ground workers (ie baggage handlers or mechanics) were present? Taxi to the gate can mean anywhere from the runway to the gate, and reckless endangerment kind of needs to have a reasonable chance of harm in my opinion. Like the difference between swinging a bat in the back yard and swinging it while in line at the bank...
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I read this article on the subject earlier. The line "Slater is alleged to have then activated the plane’s inflatable emergency slide, grabbed two beers from the galley, then slid down the chute" absolutely cracked me up!

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
      I hate it when "if" cases are presented without context. Was the plane in a location where ground workers (ie baggage handlers or mechanics) were present? Taxi to the gate can mean anywhere from the runway to the gate, and reckless endangerment kind of needs to have a reasonable chance of harm in my opinion. Like the difference between swinging a bat in the back yard and swinging it while in line at the bank...
      Plus, y'know, if the plane actually was on fire, there's very likely be people standing around the plane trying to put out the fire. No-one's gonna criticise someone who inflates the chute in that situation...
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

If ever you are to rage quit from anything. THIS is the way to do it. It may have been stupid to do, but at least he did it with style!

+1 to him.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Pretty strange behavior considering interfering with and/or assaulting the flight crew is a federal offense with hefty fines, serious incarnation, and big lawyer bills. The inpatient passenger should be thankful that the flight attendant wigged out and left rather that having them arrested.

Sounds like a take this job and shove it, I’m not working here no more. It’s a forgone conclusion he’s not going flying anymore, bet he will be on the no fly list after this stunt (and unemployed).

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../?ref=nyregion
          JetBlue Attendant Held on Bail as His Lawyer Offers Details of Flight
          At the arraignment on felony charges of reckless endangerment and criminal mischief in a packed room in the basement of criminal court in Queens, Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

did not post the $2,500 bail set by a judge at his arraignment Tuesday morning and remains in custody

Comment

They are going to ream him but good because as cool as this sounds, we really don't want people on aircraft acting this way.
            I just can't believe he got out of the airport that easily, doesn't make you feel all that good about security.
            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
            So that when they turn their backs on you,
            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

So fear of getting reamed is what keeps people from acting this way?
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I mean he will be prosecuted, which if he wasn't I think would encourage others to quit their jobs in a similar fashion.
                I think this guy had this planned for a long time and was just waiting for the right excuse.
                You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                So that when they turn their backs on you,
                You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I love this story. Its finally bringing some light on how rude and nasty the general public has become to people in various service industries. Hell, being a nurse, I get patients throwing things at me, trying to stab me, etc. Hello? I'm trying to HEAL you. If you didnt want that, you shouldnt have come to the hospital!

But for the story, what a great way to quit. Pulling the "f you, f you, f you, you're cool, f you, i'm out" routine from half baked and then sliding down the chute that everyone has always dreamed of sliding down, beers in hand. Epic win.

Comment

Best news story I have read in a long time!

Totally awesome!
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

Different side of the story from the WSJ.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X