Glenn Beck's 'Restoring Honor' rally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Beck's 'Restoring Honor' rally

Here's what I'll say about Glenn Beck, he's a shameless propagandist. Not unlike his colleagues at FOX News, such as O'Reilly and Hannity. But these divisive talking heads are not exclusive to just FOX. Over at MSNBC you have the likes of Olbermann, Maddow, and Mathews. All cut from the same cloth as Glenn Beck. As someone said in these forums about cable news:

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
    I've filtered all of the broadcast news channels (CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS) out of my available TV lineup since every single one has a high douche to decent reporter ratio.
    I have absolutely no problem with Beck having this rally in Washington. Here's some background on the controversy of this rally for those that don't know:

In the collective memory of many Americans, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s life is frozen in time in a single moment 47 years ago on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

People of all political ideologies say they draw inspiration from the "dream" he described that day - that children might be judged not "by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

The rally that conservative commentator Glenn Beck is holding on those same steps Saturday, the anniversary of the speech, has reignited long-simmering debates over what King stood for and who the rightful heirs to his legacy are.
    Many liberal members of the media have chosen to demonize Beck and say that he is disgracing the Dr. King legacy. They have a need to attack Beck and paint the picture that the location of the Dr. King "I Have A Dream" speech is hallowed ground. If you think about it, there is a vague comparison to the argument being made by conservatives about the proximity of the Mosque near ground zero in NYC.

But, here's where I do have a problem with Beck and his rally. Watch this promotional video he released about the event and pay close attention to the 2:30 mark where he attempts to use the image of MLK to promote the rally.

To me, it's a disgrace. Because, if MLK were alive today, he would be diametrically opposed to Beck, and Beck would equally be opposed to MLK. Beck, simply has absolutely nothing in common with MLK, nothing at all. MLK in every way, shape, or form was miles above Beck and his divisive, partisan, political punditry.

Listen to this other excellent speech that MLK made when he spoke out against the war in Vietnam. His advisors told him not to make such a speech and warned against taking a stand on this issue. But, once again, Dr. King showed he was a rational, peace-loving, man of conscience.

There are so many parallels in that speech that speak toward todays problems. In fact, it couldn't be anymore relevant to todays issues. If someone made a speech like this today, Glenn Beck would most certainly attempt to demonize them relentlessly for speaking the truth, and that's the difference.

We could use another person like MLK today, someone who could speak truth to power, sadly there aren't any. And, for Beck to use MLK to promote his event, in my opinion, is nothing short of outrageous.

I like this summary about those people who may be attending the rally today.

Since Beck has called President Obama a "racist" and accused him of having a "deep-seated hatred for white people," it's safe to assume that some people will attend Saturday's rally because of a sense of racial grievance and an urge for some kind of payback. But many will attend for other reasons, and they're the ones I feel sorry for. As the growth of the Tea Party movement clearly demonstrates, millions of Americans feel alienated from their government, distressed about the economy and frightened of the future. Their concerns deserve to be heard. Instead, their anxieties are exploited by hucksters who see fear and anger as marketing tools. Washington Post.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Glenn Beck's 'Restoring Honor' rally

He is disgracing the ideals of MLK, but he has every right to do so as a free American. At least he doesn't promote outright hate like Fred Phelps, and he is so over the top that it would be entertaining if he was open about it being an act like Colbert.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The great thing about all the new connectedness that the world has today is that the all little evils, like Beck and those that follow those fools, are exposed. The bad thing is the little evils get bigger or merge together and gather strength.

If we can weather this storm life will eventually be better overall.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Glenn Beck is a joke. I have maintained this for a very long time. I'm sorry, but I could never take political cues from someone who does stand up comedy that runs in limited theater showings. Snoogs is absolutely right, he ought to just come out and say he's a comedian and not try to be taken seriously. But instead, he organizes these rallies, invites his tea party buddies and tries to be a serious political force. Too bad he has to denigrate the anniversary of one of the most important speeches for civil rights in order to get his "point" across.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          I'm sorry, but I could never take political cues from someone who does stand up comedy that runs in limited theater showings.
          Being a comedian doesn't make the political commentary irrelevant, as long as the humor is clear to the intended audience.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

The major difference from my perspective, as you pointed out, can be seen between the likes of Glenn Beck and The Daily Show/Colbert Report. Both of the latter shows contain political commentary and the fact that it's humorous is certainly not lost on the audience. First, they're on comedy central. But more importantly, the hosts make no bones about the fact that its supposed to be over-the-top, funny, and to be taken with a grain of salt. Beck's program, on the other hand, does everything within the host's (and the network's) power to make it seem like it should be taken 100% seriously.

But I agree with your point, it's certainly not irrelevant commentary just because there's comedy mixed in. A great example of which comes from a classic: Carlin's "7 Dirty Words" routine which was a blatant jab at censorship. It was riotous and politically relevant for the time. As mentioned, the Daily Show and Colbert Report do a good job too.

Comment

Other commedian/pundit combos to note:

Penn and Teller
              Lenny Bruce
              Dave Barry
              P.J. O'Rourke
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It's getting harder and harder to find unbiased news. I've actually taken to BBC America for their world news as they leave (most) of the rhetoric out.

As to the Comedians at Fox, MSNBC, and CNN...

Originally posted by Jon Stewart
                To say that comedians have to decide whether they’re comedians or social commentators, ah, comedians do social commentary, through comedy. That’s how it’s worked for thousands of years. I, I have not moved out of the comedian’s box into the news box. The news box is moving towards me.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...erg-fires-back

Comment

From the Wall Street Journal Opinion Section:

By JAMES FREEMAN

Washington, D.C.

Pundits will debate whether the crowd at Glenn Beck's Saturday rally in Washington was the largest in recent political history, but it was certainly among the most impressive.

Mr. Beck is a television host and radio broadcaster with a checkered past and a penchant for incendiary remarks. But if he's judged by the quality of people of all colors that he attracted to the Lincoln Memorial, his stock can't help but rise.

Jason Riley discusses Glenn Beck's rally at the Lincoln Memorial.

One would not be able to find a more polite crowd at a political convention, certainly not at a professional sporting event, probably not even at an opera. In fact, judging by the behavior of the attendees following the event, you'd have a tough time finding churches in which people display more patience as others make their way to the exits.

This army of well-mannered folks that marched into Washington seemed comprised mainly of people who had once marched in the U.S. Army or other military branch, or at least had a family member who had. Perhaps that's not surprising, given that the event was a fund-raiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, which provides scholarships to the children of elite troops killed in the performance of their duty. The day was largely devoted to expressions of gratitude for the sacrifices of U.S. soldiers, for great men of American history like the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., and for God.

But it didn't end there. Dave Roever, a Vietnam veteran, offered a closing prayer in which he thanked the Lord for the president and for the Congress. Despite the unpopularity of the latter two, no booing or catcalls could be heard.

Perhaps feeling defensive about how they would be portrayed in media reports, various attendees wore t-shirts noting that they were "Not violent" or "Non-violent." For other participants, there was no need for an explicit message. Relaxed young parents felt comfortable enough to push toddlers in strollers through the crowded areas along the memorial's reflecting pool.

Not only was the rally akin to a "huge church picnic" (in one Journal reporter's description), but one had to wonder if the over-achievers in this crowd actually left the area in better shape than they found it.

After the event, walking from the Lincoln Memorial's reflecting pool through Constitution Gardens, this reporter scanned 360 degrees and could not see a scrap of trash anywhere. Participants and volunteers had collected all their refuse and left it piled neatly in bags around the public garbage cans. Near Constitution Avenue, I did encounter one stray piece of paper—but too old and faded to have been left that day.

Given the huge representation of military families at the event, maybe it's not surprising the grounds were left ship-shape. A principal theme of the day was that attendees should restore the country by making improvements in their own lives—be the change you wish to see in the world, as Gandhi once put it.

Most of the participants were strictly amateurs in the business of activism. For many, it was their first appearance at a public demonstration. Their strikingly mild-mannered nature might inspire even Mr. Beck to acknowledge that in a crowd estimated at 300,000, the craziest person at the event might have been the one with the microphone. While he admits that he's part entertainer and prone to over-the-top comments, his followers appear to be sincerely responding to his message that Americans need to cling to their best traditions. (Mr. Beck's program appears on the Fox News Channel, which is owned by News Corp., which also owns this newspaper.)

The conservative Mr. Beck's ability to draw this many people to Washington may suggest enormous gains for Republicans come the fall. But the GOP shouldn't expect voters to simply hand them a congressional majority without making them earn it. If pregame chatter and off-season optimism translated into victory, the New York Jets and the Washington Redskins would meet in the Super Bowl every year.

Between Saturday's crowd in Washington and the tea partiers agitating for limited government, we may be witnessing the rebuilding of the Reagan coalition, the "fusion" of religious and economic conservatives that political theorist Frank Meyer once endorsed. Reagan always believed that the Republican Party was the natural home for this movement, but GOP leaders in Washington need to prove they are worthy of it.

Mr. Freeman is assistant editor of the Journal's editorial page.

Comment

I live in a very polite state. If you ever visit Oklahoma you will find most of the people very polite. We clean up after ourselves and condemn those that don't.

We also have a very high divorce rate. The state doesn't produce many educated individuals, or retain the few we do produce, so there isn't a big desire for business to locate here. Cost of living is low but Oklahoma is often at the bottom of the list when it comes to livability.

In short we don't really advance the society that much. In fact many in the state oppose, politely, science and the advances it brings. We hate gays, those of color, those that are educated and those that have traveled and expanded their minds just a bit. But we hate politely.

Being polite is nice but it doesn't fix problems.

Screw Becks followers. If they could offer solutions I would welcome them. But they just want to bury their heads in the sand and say "no!, no!, no!, no!".
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                      I live in a very polite state. If you ever visit Oklahoma you will find most of the people very polite. We clean up after ourselves and condemn those that don't.

We also have a very high divorce rate. The state doesn't produce many educated individuals, or retain the few we do produce, so there isn't a big desire for business to locate here. Cost of living is low but Oklahoma is often at the bottom of the list when it comes to livability.

In short we don't really advance the society that much. In fact many in the state oppose, politely, science and the advances it brings. We hate gays, those of color, those that are educated and those that have traveled and expanded their minds just a bit. But we hate politely.

Being polite is nice but it doesn't fix problems.

Screw Becks followers. If they could offer solutions I would welcome them. But they just want to bury their heads in the sand and say "no!, no!, no!, no!".
                      Can you give me some quotes from the that event that reflect what you said ?
                      But it didn't end there. Dave Roever, a Vietnam veteran, offered a closing prayer in which he thanked the Lord for the president and for the Congress. Despite the unpopularity of the latter two, no booing or catcalls could be heard.
                      That sounds like what is called tolerance and I would love to see an example of that from an anti-war rally.

I didn't attend the event or read the speeches but I have read some of the coverage of the event and I didn't get the impression that their answer to the problems facing our country is "no".
                      That is a Democratic talking point oft repeated by our esteemed leader but sadly lacking in any factual basis.
                      When I say no to your suggestion and offer a counter suggestion.....how does that make me the party of "no" ?
                      Or is it that in your view there is only one right answer to any problem and that is a larger and more powerful central government ?
                      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                      So that when they turn their backs on you,
                      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                        Can you give me some quotes from the that event that reflect what you said ?
                        He was simply commenting on the fact that just because the crowd was peaceful doesn't mean their intentions are good. Neo Nazi groups can be calm and peaceful at rallies and events as well as the Klu Klux Klan. I think that's all he meant to point out.

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                        I didn't attend the event or read the speeches but I have read some of the coverage of the event and I didn't get the impression that their answer to the problems facing our country is "no".
                        That is a Democratic talking point oft repeated by our esteemed leader but sadly lacking in any factual basis.
                        When I say no to your suggestion and offer a counter suggestion.....how does that make me the party of "no" ?
                        Or is it that in your view there is only one right answer to any problem and that is a larger and more powerful central government ?
                        That would seem counter to what it says right on the front page of their website.
                        http://www.teapartypatriots.org/
                        I don't know how involved you are with the Tea Party, but they want to do everything within their power to change our government and get rid of the president. Any way you slice it it is not a party about bipartisanship and working together.

Comment

See this is what got me an infraction
                          bipartisanship and working together.
                          WTF are you talking about ?
                          do you even begin to understand the concept of standing up for what you believe in ?

I mean ....like ....when you say what you believe and everyone around you HATES you and calls you names
                          but you stand by your words because you believe in what you are saying
                          Does that resonate with you at all ?

I know your troll mentor will be here soon to tell all and sundry how stupid and ignorant I am, but that doesn't excuse you from answering the question.
                          I know, I know ....for so long whenever he has appeared, you had little to do but run to catch the bandwagon...but just for this once ......think and formulate an answer that is not verbatim ........ even if you risk being criticised or worse .........be WRONG !.

But stand up and speak your mind, with no PC equivocations and perhaps in time ....you will learn to respect yourself instead of depending on the approval of others.

Comment

Bipartisanship is a fallacy.

Compromise isn't bipartisanship. Two parties agreeing isn't bipartisanship, it is simply two sides voting for the same thing. Bipartisanship is only invoked when people don't vote with the other party, which is a normal process in a republic since different views may have different results.

If 50 of party A and 1 of party B vote for the same thing it isn't 'bipartisan' it is the nature of voting where not everyone from the party has to vote the same way. There is no such thing as bipartisanship, but there is consensus and agreement outside party lines.

The problem with the tea party and the Republicans current method of being the party of 'no' is that they are just against things without offering any solutions. They are the naysayers, the opposite of the yes men and contribute the same amount to the system. By just opposing everything the Democrats do instead of just opposing the things they actually disagree with they are actively working against the country because they think it will get votes with the ignorant tea party voters who are angry at something because they don't think they are getting what they are entitled to but since they don't understand it they just vote no.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                              Bipartisanship is a fallacy.

Compromise isn't bipartisanship. Two parties agreeing isn't bipartisanship, it is simply two sides voting for the same thing. Bipartisanship is only invoked when people don't vote with the other party, which is a normal process in a republic since different views may have different results.

If 50 of party A and 1 of party B vote for the same thing it isn't 'bipartisan' it is the nature of voting where not everyone from the party has to vote the same way. There is no such thing as bipartisanship, but there is consensus and agreement outside party lines.

The problem with the tea party and the Republicans current method of being the party of 'no' is that they are just against things without offering any solutions. They are the naysayers, the opposite of the yes men and contribute the same amount to the system. By just opposing everything the Democrats do instead of just opposing the things they actually disagree with they are actively working against the country because they think it will get votes with the ignorant tea party voters who are angry at something because they don't think they are getting what they are entitled to but since they don't understand it they just vote no.
                              An admirable restatement of the DNC speaking points.
                              I really hope you get some credit for how well you regurgitate the state outlook.
                              I won't even get into the specifics of all the Republican legislative initiatives you have deliberately overlooked.
                              I am so sorry to say that I share your dismay with the actions and words of both of our elected parties, because, as you noted they are 48/52 type plans and the only difference is which particular lobby group will reap the benefits.
                              I say both because as much as so many of us respond to the Paul's, we know that they are what the stat guys call " outliers" and while they will influence the process, they don't have the single-minded drive of the revo ... I mean tea party groups.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X