Socially responsible spending

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socially responsible spending

How much of a premium would you pay for gas that was guaranteed to come from US or Canadian wells and not from Middle Eastern or African wells where it was supporting terrorism and civil war? (Sudan's about to explode from civil war over whether the south has the right to secede and take the oil wells with it.)

Would you pay more for products from a company that only used western fuel sources for its freight and other activities?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Socially responsible spending

My wife and I talked about this and decided that 50% wouldn't be unreasonable, and we'd try to buy from a gasoline retailer that only used US sources as often as possible, but our budget would dictate how often we could shop at such a retailer. Right now, we would be willing and able to pay 25% more for gasoline that was entirely from domestic sources.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would not pay extra, as the globalized economy means that even if they oil came from US/North American soil middle eastern companies could still purchase stock or the company that extrudes it meaning they simply make more money off 'our' oil than the oil they collect form their home country, and then the US runs it's supplies down and the oil that remains in the middle east becomes more valuable.

Plus oil is used in so much more than car fuel, and that oil comes from the same place.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Why would they buy stock in US suppliers of oil instead of suppliers of something else? Do you expect US oil to be more profitable than any other industry? Profit off of someone else's oil is going to be a lot less than revenue from one's own.

People already use socially-responsible investing in other industries, and rely on brokers to see that their investments meet the social objectives. Brokers for a "peace oil" package could include makers of plastics and other derivatives that don't use oil from the offending countries.

The biggest impact could come from demanding that the government not buy products using oil from the undesirable countries. Stopping all purchases from the Middle East would have tremendous diplomatic power to stop the violence. (And I'm particularly looking at Saudi Arabia, source of most of the 9/11 perps and best buddy to the Republicans and the American war machine.)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Because of the global economy, and the fact that oil is a commodity, stopping purchases from only one region will not affect much, if anything. It would be very hard to ascertain where your barrels of crude are coming from without, say, doing an analysis of it's composition.

This is also why boycotting specific gas stations is idiotic. Just because a gas station has a BP logo, for example, doesn't mean that it gets it's gas directly from BP. It could get it from any one of 4 different companies. Plus, just because it gets it's gas from BP doesn't mean the gas was refined from BP's oil. It could have been Amoco oil refined at a BP refinery.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

As much as it would take...
            Do or do not, there is no try....
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
              It would be very hard to ascertain where your barrels of crude are coming from without, say, doing an analysis of it's composition.
              It shouldn't be any harder than tracking tainted eggs or beef. It's all about what the customer demands. If the customer demands content tracking and labeling, and it helps reduce violence in the world, then we should require it. We already require it of most things in a grocery store. And refineries and gas stations already have a lot of labeling and tracking requirements. So tracking country of origin shouldn't be that big a deal.

Comment

I'm confused shouldn't a free market economy dictate that the lowest price is the most attractive? I would pay for the cheapest gas period. Now if the government wishes to impose trade restrictions and subsidize the cost of gas then I'm fine by that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                  I'm confused shouldn't a free market economy dictate that the lowest price is the most attractive? I would pay for the cheapest gas period. Now if the government wishes to impose trade restrictions and subsidize the cost of gas then I'm fine by that as well.
                  I saw a video that was right on-topic but when I saw this .... if the government wishes to subsidize the cost of gas... then I'm fine by that as well
                  I'm sorry it was so perfect I couldn't help but laugh out loud.
                  Watch this ...and think about your " responsible spending".
                  I'm not saying this guy is right, but it sounds right to me.
                  http://www.wimp.com/ethicalimplications/
                  You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                  So that when they turn their backs on you,
                  You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

i think it is impossible to do this. as said, the oil is not only used for the car fuel. at the moment we need it for nearly everything and that is the problem. you would have to boycott everything which could could be produced with oil from the middle east and that is just impossible imo.

and imagine the USA would stop the whole import of this oil and would only use its own oil. with the consumption of oil that the states has at the moment it would drain down their resources quite fast and than they would need the middle-east-oil more than ever...

Ingame name: TG-E1st Gromkara

Comment

Groshak
                      Watch the video link in my post and you will see how " social responsible " spending is already built into many of your purchases.
                      If you choose to read or inform yourself about the vendors you use then you will know these things, but in terms of the OP, you will essentially be forced into a "responpsible " use of assets unless you make a deliberate choice to seek out a vendor that does NOT already include a surcharge for "responsibly spending" the revenue he or she has collected from you for almost every commercial source.......
                      not that it's a bad thing
                      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                      So that when they turn their backs on you,
                      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        How much of a premium would you pay for gas that was guaranteed to come from US or Canadian wells and not from Middle Eastern or African wells where it was supporting terrorism and civil war? (Sudan's about to explode from civil war over whether the south has the right to secede and take the oil wells with it.)

Would you pay more for products from a company that only used western fuel sources for its freight and other activities?
                        Good topic to make us all think…This is not an easy question for anyone to answer…

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                        George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                          Now if the government wishes to impose trade restrictions and subsidize the cost of gas then I'm fine by that as well.
                          Good point. Distortion of prices is a Bad Thing, because it causes us to invest in the wrong thing. Better would be if the government billed each oil company in the Middle East for protecting its wells and shipping and other investments. Then consumers would pay the actual cost of that military at the pump, and that would make other sources more economically viable. It would also mean that the billions spent on military adventures there would be paid by those benefiting from them, not those who chose to spend their money elsewhere.

Comment

I think everyone is focusing too hard on my use of the word subsidize and not enough on the combination with the words 'trade restrictions'. It's economics 101, if the country is hurting economically when competing with other countries, the country raises the taxes on imports or imposes restrictions thus helping out america's business.

Also remember the good old times when gas was 10 cents per gallon? Everyone seems to forget that was when gas was subsidized by the government. The government subsidizing technology does not automatically equate to socially irresponsible spending, in fact if history shows anything this has allowed for an increase in new technologies and productivity as a result.

Yes I was being facicious with my post, but my point still stands, when I shop I don't care who makes it or where it comes from (unless it has lead paint, etc.) I'm shopping for the best price on an item (not necessarily the cheapest). If the government subsidizes the cost then I am forced into supporting an American company more often than not.

Comment

Subsidizing anything costs money. That's money not spent on something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

It's similar to breaking windows to drive economic "growth".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable..._broken_window

You create a very recognizable benefit to one group, while secretly penalizing another group.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X