Geocentrism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocentrism

Ferris posted this to the LOL thread, but I figured it needed a thread of its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_geocentrism

Polls conducted by Gallup in the 1990s have found that 16% of Germans, 18% of Americans and 19% of Britons hold that the Sun revolves around the Earth.
    http://galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Geocentrism

European visitors to this conference should take care, lest they fall of the edge of the Earth on the way to Indiana.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Even though we have people IN SPACE, as well as probe's and satellites that have explored our Solar System fairly thoroughly, people still cling to this notion that we are the center of the universe.

As Einstein once said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Didn't Pope John Paul II already settle this like 18 years ago for those wacky Catholics?

The truly frightening thing is that Robert Bennett's doctorate is in General Relativity.

Comment

Similar percentages to the amount of people who think Obama is a Muslim, despite his decades of Christian attendance and the whole issue with the pastor. It's handy to think of the bell curve, for every really smart person (Hawking) there is a babbling idiot, and for every one a little above average there is someone who could with a little effort, but doesn't, think about things rationally.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

And some say we never went to the moon, instead we just filmed it in hollywood...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
              It's handy to think of the bell curve, for every really smart person (Hawking) there is a babbling idiot, and for every one a little above average there is someone who could with a little effort, but doesn't, think about things rationally.
              You have entirely too much faith in humanity, Snooggs. I'd say the ratio of intelliegent people to stupid people is somewhere in the range of 1:1000. Consider the gaming world as we have all seen it as a sample population. For TG's few thousand members, there are almost a limitless number of idiots and smacktards. After having to deal with many of these kind outside of the gaming universe on a day to day basis, I'm absolutely sure the same statistical analogy translates to the non-digital world.

Comment

The sun does revolve around the earth when you take the earth to be your frame of reference. This all follows from general relativity and how things in the solar system move about. Of course there's nothing special about that frame of reference.

Comment

:facepalm:
                  Do or do not, there is no try....
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Well... It's a small step from believing that the earth is 6000 years old to 'The Earth is the center of the universe'.
                    Some people believe that the earth is hollow...

Some time ago I found THIS guy on youtube. He's great!
                    A comic artist who believes that the earth is actually growing (No, not the couple tons a day by microastroids) by... 'new matter' which is created in the center of the earth.
                    Beware if you comment on his videos. He gets pretty angry BUT he does insult people in a beautiful way. I almost felt flattered xD

sigpic

Comment

*edit* Whoops. I apparently needed more caffeine with this post. Yeah Vouk, I wasn't thinking very clearly with that. ><
                      Last edited by Flarfignuggen; 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Well, why would it grow if the core would solidify?
                        Most elements and molecules decrease their volume when they turn to a solid. Water is an exeption because of it's density-anomaly.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          The sun does revolve around the earth when you take the earth to be your frame of reference. This all follows from general relativity and how things in the solar system move about. Of course there's nothing special about that frame of reference.
                          I understand the math gets pretty challenging in a frame in which the rest of the universe revolves around it, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_reference_frame

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            You have entirely too much faith in humanity, Snooggs. I'd say the ratio of intelliegent people to stupid people is somewhere in the range of 1:1000. Consider the gaming world as we have all seen it as a sample population. For TG's few thousand members, there are almost a limitless number of idiots and smacktards. After having to deal with many of these kind outside of the gaming universe on a day to day basis, I'm absolutely sure the same statistical analogy translates to the non-digital world.
                            I don't give any credit, I was sorely disappointed when I realized what the median intelligence of the human race really is.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

In the U.S.? Yeah, 1:1000 is probably accurate. Then again how many in-depth conversations have you had with random people about physics, chemistry, and astronomy? The only thing that bums me out about this convention is that you have to pay $50.00 to attend it. I would hope they have proof ready that can stand up to centuries of scientific discoveries that backup Galileo's sun centered solar system, and the fact that we have MEN IN SPACE that can visually verify that the sun does not revolve around the earth.
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X