Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't ask, don't poke

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Militar...yonet-training

Bayonet training is, in short, used to undo socialization – to “basically to try to mitigate or eradicate the reluctance of human beings to kill each other,” Mr. Kohn says. It is one of the challenges in US or Western society “where we have such reverence for the individual, where we socialize our people to believe in the rule of law, and all of that,” he adds. “What you’re doing with young people is trying to get them used to the highly emotional and irrational and adrenaline-filled situations in which they are liable to find themselves whether they are within sight of the enemy or not – and the reluctance to take a life.”
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Don't ask, don't poke

The last major bayonet charge was the Korean War; Captain Lewis Millett was awarded the Medal of Honor for the action.

The M16/M4 bayonets, either the M9 (7in) or the new OKC-3S (8in USMC) are still shorter than traditional bayonets and the weapons (M16/M4) are not well suited to hand to hand fighting. Bayonet fighting is more than sticking the pointy end between the enemy’s ribs; it’s a fair amount of butt stroking, polearm and club action which can break the user’s weapon in two or damage attached equipment.

Still on the other hand, a minimum level of training should be maintained to be able to defend oneself against gentlemen of the other firm trying to poke you in the ribs with their bayonet (more polearm and club action) while your weapon is empty or experiencing a stoppage.

Comment

You have a knife, a sidearm and your weapon itself. Isn't that enough. If the enemy is on top of you like that it's likely you haven't been doing your job. I think it's a bit silly to be wasting resources on that kind of training when it simply isn't practical.

Comment

I remember talking to a WWII vet in regards to bayonets, he said that just the psychological power of being stabbed is something that a gun can't achieve. He said that guns are impersonal and efficient, but a knife or a bayonet requires one to be up close, personal, and brutal. He said that he would much rather die from a bullet than a knife.

I guess that's why, during the British charge, the enemy surrendered.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X