• Show
Clear All

• Full HD monitoring 1920x1080 and fraps at half screen recording

I have just got a new monitor and its good for fraps recording

On my new 23" monitor I play as res 1920x1080
    I record fraps at half screen 960x540
    I render up to 1280 720 and upload to youtube
    The video playing on youtube is pretty good quality

Before I played at 1280x720, recorded full screen at 1280x720, render at 1280x720 and upload to youtube
    The video playing on youtube is very quality

But the new monitor is a really good step forward because I can play at full HD 1920x1080
    and record with less drain on my system than before, yet youtube footage plays at pretty much the same quality

thanks to e-male for this idea, as its what he does

Re: Full HD monitoring 1920x1080 and fraps at half screen recording

Good tip, it's interesting and something I'll definitely give a try :)

Comment

just to clarify why I think this is so good,

with a monitor at 1920x1080, you can play at max res/detail your rig can produce, yet still record footage that looks really good on youtube, because you are only recording at half screen. If you set fraps to record at 45 fps, then you are still playing at a fps that does not reduce visual experience of the game, its at 30 fps threshold that visually games stutter/lag

Comment

I've actually found running recording my game at 60fps actually runs the game smoother as apposed to when I tried 30fps.

Comment

60fps vs 30fps is double filesize. I think it's up to you how you prefer it, but 45 seems like a good balance. It's not a normal frame rate. It's normally 25, 30, 50, 60, but you wouldn't notice the change from the edited video so good calls!
          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Regarding framerate, is it confirmed that FRAPS records at this framerate or does it just cap the game's fps?
            Iīm asking cause I canīt see any difference in the framerate of the videofile being recorded. Video is always 25fps or 29,9fps, if itīs recorded at 60fps then the file would play in slowmotion since there are more frames in the file than whatīs being played.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
              Regarding framerate, is it confirmed that FRAPS records at this framerate or does it just cap the game's fps?
              Iīm asking cause I canīt see any difference in the framerate of the videofile being recorded. Video is always 25fps or 29,9fps, if itīs recorded at 60fps then the file would play in slowmotion since there are more frames in the file than whatīs being played.
              when I record with fraps, it reduces down the game fps to 44
              when I import the fraps into sony vegas, sony says its 44 fps
              when I edit I cannot tell the difference between 44 or 30 fps
              when I game however, I can tell the difference between 30 and 44, I percieve below 30 fps when gaming as painful lag, between 30-40 fps as ok to play and above 40fps as good

Comment

Ok, seems like the biggest benefit of setting FRAPS to 60fps is the gaming experience, too bad the filesize increases.
                sigpic

Comment

I think it might have to do with vsync too. It seems that when I record with vsync on my framerate gets slaughtered. Playing with it off does not give me any screen tearing on the video.

Comment

Silver,

Bear in mind the reason why your gameplay experience is smoother now than before is that you're recording at a lower resolution (960 x 540 vs. 1280 x 720). Here, I'm assuming your hardware stayed the same from the old to new monitor.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It doesn't matter too much. Even in 2142 on a lower screen res, it jerks the same as BC2 in full res when recording 30fps. Fraps always seems to jerk a little at that rate. And that's running the game from SSD and fraps to a second 7,200 rpm drive on a decent spec PC.
                      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

I have FRAPS set to 60 fps Half-Size, monitor res is 1920x1080, (20 inch, i think), with most of my game res settings on very high (can provide more detail if needed). HD rev speed is standard at 7200 rpm, and I record to a second HD (not my system drive). In-game fps tends to be around 45-55 when recording (i think...) -- no visible stutter in-game except when network problems downstream.

I render in a crappy program by Corel, Video Studio Pro X3 (or some such thing), rendering for upload in MPEG-4 HD.

This is what I get out of all that:

Select 1080p HD for best viewing

Not super great, but good enough and I think perhaps as good as it gets at this time (?).
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X