When recording BF3...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When recording BF3...

... I get like a 20-30 FPS dip when I record with fraps and my screen becomes all jittery. While when I record with MSI Afterburner its not even noticeable. Afterburner does not have an option to record yourself aswell as your sqd mates so I was wondering if there was a way for fraps not to affect my gameplay that much. I mean my PC should be more than capable of running fraps and BF3 but for some reason it is not working out.

System specs:
    i5-2500k @ 3.3 (goes up to 4.3 with intel turbo boost)
    HD 6950 2GB
    8 GB of ram
    22" ASUS monitor @ 1920 x 1080

Re: When recording BF3...

Is Fraps writing the recorded data to the same hard disk that the game is on? Or to a separate HDD or an external drive?

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
      Is Fraps writing the recorded data to the same hard disk that the game is on? Or to a separate HDD or an external drive?
      I have the output set to an external 1TB hard drive(7200rpm).

I also have another internal hard drive I could use. MSI afterburner records to the same external HD

Comment

Yeah same question here.

Best case - write to separate SSD
        Next best - write to separate HDD

Poor performance - write to same HDD
        - write to external HDD by usb 2.0

Fraps will impact on any setup, it merely is a question of degree. The video you capture is only marginally compressed and you must also consider the write speeds of the drive you are capturing to.

Comment

I use half-size recording, 60fps. This setting was a huge improvement from full-size 25fps which in video terms seem like the best choice for performance.
          Sidenote: When I removed the HUD I didn´t get any performance hit while recording. The HUD seems to be a real resource hog.
          sigpic

Comment

If you set Fraps to record at 30fps it limits the game to 30fps while recording. If you are used to 60+ fps, turn fraps on and the fps drop to 30 you will notice the jittering. With your machine you could try to record at 50 or 60fps, but you might need to use half-size recording as alvin suggested.
            former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

I am pretty certain the bottleneck is Hard drive write speed, 1920*1080 is just too much to write second to second
              I suggest record on the external HDD, record at half res at 50 or 60 FPS, then when editing scale up the res to 1280*720 to hit HD on youtube

Comment

For faster speed I would personally record to the internal 2nd drive not via usb to the external. Sata connection to an internal drive should be much quicker than usb 2.0. Half screen is a good call to reduce .ps drop though.

Comment

As the other guys have said if you are recording to the external drive via usb that is part of your issue. Take the drive out of the external case and put it in the pc if you can. The usb interface limits total bandwidth and also introduces a slight overhead in cpu utilization.

You can record your own voice with afterburner or almost any other program by changing a windows setting. However, it requires that your voice is played back through your output. So you would have to listen to your own voice which I find distracting, but might be worth a try for you.

Assuming windows 7

Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right

Choose "recording devices"

Right click microphone

Choose properties

Choose the "listen" tab

Check the box that says, "listen to this device"

Alternatively you can also record all your squads audio with teamspeak 3 recording function and recombine it with your video/audio track after the fact.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The newer versions of FRAPS lets you record your own voice without you having to listen to it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Is that just a new feature? I figured that was always one of the main draws to fraps and the other paid for recording programs.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Faitly new. You can set a button to " push-to-record" an external input such as your mic.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just use bandicam. Compresses as you record. Can record 2 sound inputs at once. Can set ANY record size and quality unlike fraps or MSI afterburner. Minimal loss of fps. I only experience a loss of 5 fps and that is only the first 15 seconds as bandicam starts the recording.

Comment

Just use D3DGear from www.d3dgear.com, it is very fast ingame recorder that does not slow down game at all. The recorded movie is in HD and is crystal clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Hobbit View Post
                              Just use bandicam. Compresses as you record. Can record 2 sound inputs at once. Can set ANY record size and quality unlike fraps or MSI afterburner. Minimal loss of fps. I only experience a loss of 5 fps and that is only the first 15 seconds as bandicam starts the recording.
                              I tried this, but only get around 20FPS, making it even more unplayable than FRAPS. I was hoping for a solution that doesn't require the purchase of a second hard drive, since prices are so high right now.

I tried some settings I found on the Internet, I think I tried 50fps and quality 50, 1280X720. Let me know if you are using lower settings and seeing better FPS, I can't play at 20FPS.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X