Sony Vegas + After Effects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Vegas + After Effects

Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything in here as my caveman attempts at videos have sadly taken a backseat to other duties. Still I am keen to get back in the Movie Producer's little chair again.

So I have been using Sony Vegas Platinum 10 for a while now to edit and render my vids. However I have always been frustrated by the lack of effects and scope for making titles and intros in the non-Pro version. So I now have After Effects and wanted to see if anyone used this combination.

First impressions of After Effects, wow and then 'oh dear, I am a little overwhelmed' lol. I seem to be bumbling around in this program without any clear clue of what I am doing, I don't even think I have it set up correctly as regards disk cache stuff, preview size, optimum set up for efficiency. Any tips, clues, pointers, muttered acknowledgements of facing the same difficulties and being on the verge of tears, that sort of thing. In all seriousness any clues as to optimum setup for my hardware config and what your project workflow looks like would be much appreciated.

I have watched a lot of tutorials but to be honest I went a little 'tutorial blind' after a while and there is the ever present tendency to simply stop listening and rush off to make the 'pretty metal words go spin spin spin', which inevitably ends in confusion, frustration, dejection and tears...again.

Hardware

I5 750 @ 3.85 GHZ
    HD5870 (getting the 3GB 7970 soon, yay!)
    8GB decent ram
    SSD with about 10 GB left of space on it
    1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    512 backup WD drive by USB 2.0

Re: Sony Vegas + After Effects

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
    Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything in here as my caveman attempts at videos have sadly taken a backseat to other duties. Still I am keen to get back in the Movie Producer's little chair again.

So I have been using Sony Vegas Platinum 10 for a while now to edit and render my vids. However I have always been frustrated by the lack of effects and scope for making titles and intros in the non-Pro version. So I now have After Effects and wanted to see if anyone used this combination.

First impressions of After Effects, wow and then 'oh dear, I am a little overwhelmed' lol. I seem to be bumbling around in this program without any clear clue of what I am doing, I don't even think I have it set up correctly as regards disk cache stuff, preview size, optimum set up for efficiency. Any tips, clues, pointers, muttered acknowledgements of facing the same difficulties and being on the verge of tears, that sort of thing. In all seriousness any clues as to optimum setup for my hardware config and what your project workflow looks like would be much appreciated.

I have watched a lot of tutorials but to be honest I went a little 'tutorial blind' after a while and there is the ever present tendency to simply stop listening and rush off to make the 'pretty metal words go spin spin spin', which inevitably ends in confusion, frustration, dejection and tears...again.

Hardware

I5 750 @ 3.85 GHZ
    HD5870 (getting the 3GB 7970 soon, yay!)
    8GB decent ram
    SSD with about 10 GB left of space on it
    1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    512 backup WD drive by USB 2.0
    I've used Adobe AA in quite a few of my vids so I can understand your frustration.

Example:

That one alone took almost two hours to render and it really doesn't have anything outlandish in it. My opinion would be to try adding volumetric smoke in the background of a segment first. I know, its not exactly "crawl, walk, run", more like run IMHO, but mastering the more difficult aspects can enable you to execute the easier ones without a thought. If you need some in-depth help let me know.

Comment

My approach to learning a new program is to figure out what I want to do and then I learn that before I move on to the next thing. Seems obvious but in a program like AE itīs easy to get lost because anything is possible and you tend to want to do everything.
      Iīd be glad to help out if you have a specific problem you need solving, although I confess Iīm not an AE expert by far.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys the tips are welcome and I may just take you up on those offers of help, even if it is just pms etc. Yeah AE is a monster and I must admit the sheer range of stuff you can do is bewildering, nowhere near as easy to.pink up as Vegas but of course they are different tools. The guides and howto videos are good but again there are just so many of them.

I am bottom of a very long, steep learning curve, again lol.

Will post more questions in the near future as I am able to identify specific stumbling blocks, one after the other no doubt.

Comment

I try to remember that itīs all about the design. You can be an expert on all different kinds of programs but if you canīt design itīs worth nothing.
          sigpic

Comment

Too true, I have a fairly good eye for design and concepts I am told and have books full of hand written concepts for intro's, graphics etc. I have story boarded videos and plotted the graphics, effects, cuts, audio etc. Simply learning how to put the ideas into practice seems my biggest challenge now. More importantly doing so in an efficient manner, as I have managed stuff in the past by painstakingly doing something manually that I later find could have been done with one button press lol. Demoralising to say the least.

Comment

My workflow for an animated graphic is usaually like this:

1. Design the complete graphic in Photoshop, save a psd with major elements in different layers properly named.
              2. Import the psd in AE as different layers
              3. Create the composition, not bothering with length for now. Just so I have enough time for my animation.
              4. Drop the the footage on the composition.
              5. Now I have the completed graphic in a timeline, I then create a keyframe at the end and work myself backwards, moving the different layers. This way the final graphic is always safe as long as I donīt mess up the keyframe at the end.
              6. When done cut down the composition to length using "composition settings".
              7. Render!
              sigpic

Comment

bumping an oldish post to add some input,

i used after effect heavily whilst at uni!

the first thing to do is to organize your screen in a set up you find easy to navigate. There is no right or wrong on how you have things set up. One thing i would defiantly recommend is to have a fairly sizable monitor window.

the second tip i have is to set your monitor to half quality, this will help speed up rendering the previews, even if you have a beastly machine, one you start looking into more complicated things such as coding, it could take some time to render just one frame. (one project i made was rendering out at 1 frame every 5 seconds!)

third tip, take your time. experiment with different things. experiment with the particle emitters, experiment with key frames, experiment with expressions. you never know what you might make.

defiantly get antiquated with key frames tho, once you have those down you can do a lot of stuff in after effects!

check out videocopilot.net there's some great free tutorials that can give you some awesome knowledge of how certain things behave.

oh and one last tip! keep your project bin organized! there is nothing worse than having a messy project bin!

Comment

videocopilot.net is probably the one thing I used the most whilst and while still learning how to use After Effects.

Doing each and every free tutorial was a god send when it came to leaning how to make videos using AE.

now for the plug :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/bl1ppyboy?feature=mhum

Lots of my work with the videocopilot.net tuts can be seen in the 2 videos called BL1PS ANGELS ONE and TWO. Both are on the linked youtube channel above and if you know or have done Videocopilot stuff you will recognize allot of the tutorials Incorporated in the previously mentioned titles.
                  The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X