Mirillis Action?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirillis Action?

I bought a license (volume deal with a couple of friends) for Action! by Mirillis a couple of months back. Only just had time now to go and set it up and start playing with it. With that said, it's gone from version 1.3.0 to 1.5.0 and searching around the 'net, not many people seem to use it. It supposedly doesn't cost you heavily on framerates when recording, but a quick test in Killing Floor has me thinking otherwise. Knowing I'm on a traditional HDD, I have the output set to a separate internal drive while my game runs off of my main drive. I still get the occasional pause here and there, but it seems my fps is stable at 88-90 frames per second.

So I've gone through to see if anyone has done any detailed reviews and it seems other than a mention here or there on a few gaming community forums and some YouTube videos, no one seems to know about it and not many more seem to be using it. Given how much you guys here are into FRAPS and such, any of you have Action? Or am I the first to try this?

(As an aside: I did notice the "Designed for NVIDIA CUDA" logo plastered on their website which instantly makes me suspicious of performance losses using the program with my AMD Radeon HD5830.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

I have never heard of it before. It claims there the "NO 1 desktop video recording software in the world" lol.
    The GUI looks nice but you can only output video in their propriety FIC format, which you can only watch in the built in player, or you can purchase a different player from their site to get additional features such as screen capture(seriously). Uploading requires converting to a mainstream format, this is where I believe the Nvidia CUDA advertising comes in, as the software must have Nvidia's CUDA GPU utilization techniques built into the program along with Intel quick sync, instead of the AMD equivalent, I doubt that this would significantly effect the recording frame rates however. The download is 18Mb, which seems quite a lot for a recording and playback software, considering you can download fraps and VLC for about 7Mb and get the same thing. it seems like this company is aiming towards the new computer users/older generation of gamers who do not have the knowledge to be able to manually convert videos or know how to easily upload videos, this ticks all the boxes for them, however While it is a simple program to use and understand, those of us who know a bit more about video editing and recording know that there are FREE programs out there that do exactly the same thing.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: Mirillis Action?

Originally posted by bolagnaise
      ...you can only output video in their propriety FIC format, which you can only watch in the built in player, or you can purchase a different player from their site to get additional features such as screen capture(seriously).
      There's a (basic) built-in encoder that lets me convert from their proprietary ".fic" format into a MP4 file. You right-click the file > "Export file". It limits me to a drop-down selection of standard and portable screen resolutions and lets me choose a (video?) bitrate of the output file. I don't know the codec used to encode the video, audio is MP4a, and container is MP4. I'd have to view the encoded file I have on hand to see later in the week. I'd assume it's more like a raw capture since a barely 6 minute capture turned into a 1.3+ GB FIC file.

It has screen capture ability. It's all there just like in FRAPS. The other player is one of their earlier software meant for video editing/production.

Supposedly in 1.5.0 according to their forums, they have included support for DirectShow in their FIC format. Here's a link to the sticky thread I found if anyone is interested: http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewto...p?f=36&t=12625
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My reply may be slightly subjective because I'm an Action! user since early releases and went through a lot with it, but I haven't found any competitive software compared to Action! in screen recording field. Anyway, my reply may brightens a little about Action!.

At first I will relate to the "Designed for NVIDIA CUDA" logo - this technology, with Intel Quick Sync Video also, is made for the exporting feature with hardware acceleration for video decoding. Which greatly boost the exporting process.

About the software itself. I work in the company that provide video training solutions for many fields. We create how-to videos, video tutorials and do training videos for new employees. We were using Fraps for almost 5 years and switched to Action! about 5 months ago (the software itself is only 8 months old - you were wondering why there's not so much info about it around the web) because of the quality that goes along with Action!. Pure HD quality with video framerate set to 60 was all that what we needed to provide the highest level of service. Our customers couldn't tell if they are looking at their own desktop moving itself or a video recorded with Action! With almost no FPS drops and great performance we can do a complicated things and use applications that need a lot of computer resources while recording our videos.

I think that the .fic format is something temporary for the developers from Mirillis. As far as I know (and I'm in touch with them all the time via their community forum) they are working now on a feature that will allow Action! users to record their videos directly to .avi format. I think this is great and will totally improve the value of the software itself.

Don't know much about game recording, but I saw some crazy footage on YouTube (including slow motion video) where everything was recorded with Action! so I guess the technology in Action! is also great for recording gameplays.
        sigpic
        Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4Ghz, Asus P8H67, 16GB Ram DDR3 1600Mhz,
        Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB/256bit, WD 2TB HDD SATA III,
        Chieftec 650W Modular + CM Trooper, Logitech G13, Razer Mamba

Comment

Thank You for interest in our software! If you are interested in contacting us to tell about your experience please contact me at [email protected]. I will be happy to provide you with anything you would like to know more about our software. I have few questions for you : how we can improve our software ...

Have a nice day!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X