Video Workflow Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Workflow Questions

I am currently training myself on CS6 Premiere and After Effects however I am trying to figure out a good workflow. So far my workflow is like this.

1. Record footage in-game using PlayClaw or desktop using Camtasia.
    2. Freemake: Compress raw/low compression recordings to mp4 (30fps, no resize) for video and mp3 (44.1 kHz, 192 kbit/s) for audio.
    3. Premiere: Sync and slice clips. Create video proof.
    4. After Effects: Import Premiere project. Add transitions, effects, and special titling (3d, transforming, etc.). Export as Premiere project.
    5. Premiere: Add intro and credits clips. Add any additional normal titling if needed (subtitles, credits, etc.).
    6. Media Encoder: Render video for upload at 720p or 1080p with source settings. (using Vimeo Guidelines with some modification)

I am mainly looking for any advice on if this workflow is even remotely correct. Also any suggestions on how to optimize it would be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Re: Video Workflow Questions

In my experience there are as many workflows as there are editors :)

This is how I do it:

Record with FRAPS or Camtasia
    Drag files into a project in After Effects
    Edit in After Effects
    Create a master comp and add graphics, filter, titles and additional text.
    Render in After Effects to 720p Windows Media File, If itīs for Youtube. Otherwise Quicktime with aimation preset.
    Done.

So itīs very similar to how you do it. But why do you compress before editing?
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Video Workflow Questions

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
      So itīs very similar to how you do it. But why do you compress before editing?
      I mainly do it to reduce the size on my hard drive and make it easier to load for editing. For weekend sessions on average I am recording between 2 to 3 hours of footage at 1680x1050 and even with PlayClaw doing on the fly compression (MJPEG 95% quality) it still creates around 194MB a minute of video including audio. When I go and compress it using h.264 into an MP4/MP3 format (no resizing) I get it down to around 34MB a minute.

So for instance I did some recording of BF3 a few weeks ago and in total I have 7 hours and 20 mins of gameplay. Now in Fraps that would be alot even with half res at 30fps. PlayClaw helps minimize some of this overhead by doing on-the-fly compression using the power of multithreading so I end up with ~130GB of semi compressed video.

As for the performance or the quality of the final render I will be working on a short test project to see if there is any difference.
      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X