FRAPS Optimization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAPS Optimization

There is a list of many things that can be done to optimize FRAPS. Has anyone done any of these things to any positive effect?
    sigpic

Re: FRAPS Optimization

After trying to get Fraps optimized and not having a huge amount of luck (in reality, it was lack of satisfaction with the results), I ended up breaking down and picked up a Hauppage PVR2 Gaming Edition recorder.

It plugs in-line between my gaming rig and monitor, and records everything going through and sends it off to another machine (I use my MacBook Pro) for processing/recording. You can even get crazy and mix in audio from another source, process, and then stream out the data live to YouTube, Twitch, etc.

HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition - Product Description

I know it's now what you're asking for, but I figured I would throw it out there. It's relatively inexpensive.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have never had any luck with FRAPS, I tried a bunch of different settings that "fixed" the performance but never really noticed real improvement. I did what Apo did and got a PVR2, and more recently I got D3DGear recording software. It works amazing for me and even lets me split the audio/video in to two different files which is good for me when doing YouTube content.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Does your approach (Apo & Dredge) cause a hit to system resources like FRAPS did/does. I've always wanted to record action in game but never wanted to live with hit on performance that came with FRAPS. I've seen some of those live streams and it's amazing how stutter free they are.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Fraps is way outdated at this point. If your Nvidia use shadowplay - ATI I'd consider the PVR route or other fraps like programs that use less resources.
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

With my pvr there is no system hit whatsoever. You don't even notice it's recording. Same with D3DGear. The only reason I know the software is working is the FPS counter changed color. Both are great for game recording. One is just more expensive.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I use Shadowplay as well and love it. But what I used before is OpenBBroadcastingSoftware. It worked much better for me than Craps and I would recommend it any day of the week. I still keep a copy for non-Game use and backup if SP ever fails me.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
              [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
              [support]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
                I use Shadowplay as well and love it. But what I used before is OpenBBroadcastingSoftware. It worked much better for me than Craps and I would recommend it any day of the week. I still keep a copy for non-Game use and backup if SP ever fails me.
                Fraps has been causing a conflict that shuts down PS2 so I have installed OBS and will test it out tonight. Will report back with some video clips to compare the two.

Thanks all!
                sigpic

Comment

Just a quick tip, if you have an Intel processor, you might have QuickSync, which makes video encoding faster. Check if your CPU has it and if it does turn it on in OBS. There are also guides out there on how to maximize OBS's potential so be sure to check those out too before you compare.

[support]

Comment

I've tried obs, but whenever i try to record planetside 2 crashes. Any tips?

Comment

Try using monitor capture instead of game capture. These people also had the same problem: [link] See if what they did helps. If all else fails just keep tweaking till it works for you. Just remember to check that other games work. If they do, maybe it is a compatibility issue that they may be working on.

[support]

Comment

My first attempt at OBS created a small file size/minute and terrible quality. Will look into this tomorrow.
                        sigpic

Comment

With any recording software, it's a balance between size and quality. You just have to keep playing with the setting until you get something that fits ya right.

[support]

Comment

I found a post on the OBS forums explaining how to record in higher quality, and I tried it, and it works.
                            https://obsproject.com/forum/resourc...recordings.16/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X