Video software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video software

What is good FREE video editing site that I can try...Window movie maker isnt really what I want.

Thanks in Advance, Dirtboy
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Video software

I don't know of any good proper video editing software, but there is VirtualDub, which is for stuff like resizing, cropping, deleting frames, etc. It is very good at that sort of stuff, but no good for stuff like putting titles in.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

If you've got Linux, cinelerra is my favorite. It's pretty amazing. Also, Kino is an iTunes clone.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

*cough*VideoForum*cough*

:D

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
          If you've got Linux, cinelerra is my favorite.
          Cool, will have to check that out, cheers.
          |TG| Lorian
          Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I have serched all over for something good and free. no luck for windows users. you can get several programs to each do what you want, but there is no one program that can get it all done, and for free. I tried jashaka, but it keeps crashing on me in windows. linux wont run on my machine, and running it in a virtual machine to do video editing sounds just too crazy to me.

plunking down 100 bucks for some video editing software just so I can make cool video game videos just wont cut it with my wife.

I am just going to stick with windows movie maker. I may get some plugins for it. I tried all the trial versions of most of the other video editing software out there, but most of them were actually more difficult to use than window movie maker.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
              linux wont run on my machine
              Bologna.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                Bologna.
                not a single linux distro I have tried will boot my machine. every single one I have tried crashes before I can even get to a command line.

gentoo
                debian
                ubuntu
                kubuntu
                knoppix
                mandrive
                slackware
                redhat
                the list goes on. i have a very off brand motherboard and it is probably screwed up from overclocking.

I am able to run linux on my ibook, powerbook, imac, and my other AMD machine. gentoo on all of them. but no matter what i try, linux hates this machine. those other machines are too slow. now enough of this off topic shenanigans. you have something to offer on topic? :P
                Last edited by sc1ence; 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I know the default windows movie maker very well now.
                  It is easy to use and will do most of what games movie makers want to do, with the exception of pan/crop. There is no pan/crop in default WMM.

I've used pan/crop to;
                  > zoom into mini map
                  > zoom into spawn screen map (when it covers the whole screen)
                  > zoom into sights when shooting
                  > zoom into to enemy at range
                  * I have found zooming into the map particulary useful for getting the viewer to see things more from the squad leaders perspective
                  * I actually used Sony Vegas for zoom and now I've moved everything to Sony Vegas ($100). However I want to create movies that are like professional films and I am willing to spend the hours to do that.

From talking to Sc1ence there are plug ins for windows movie maker, I've looked a few up.

www.windowsmoviemakers.net
                  WMM .net forums users give away free transitions **Free**
                  www.rehanfx.org Rehan Pan Zoom Effects $8 (15 day free trial)
                  www.pixelan.com Pan/Zoom Effects E2 $14

Windows movie maker with a plug in for pan/crop would suffice for most TG movie makers that are not willing to put many hours in with editing.
                  A pan/crop plug in is needed to fill the gap for TG movie makers

Just creating a movie with pan/crop can take time, for example
                  1 hr review footage material
                  1 hr edit down footage and add transitions between segments and add title
                  30 mins add comments over the footage
                  1 hr to add multiple zooms to minimap or map etc
                  thats 3.5 hrs editing and thats when you know what you are doing

Comment

What makes you want to go with vegas silver?

There is one thing that people really need and that is pan zoom. You need to be able to zoom in on parts of the screen several times to illustrate certain things. I tried out Rhans pan zoom effects last night. they are ok, but will requre some simple xml editing to set up something different than the default zooms.

pixelans plugin seems ideal, but It seems like you need two things, the pan zoom plugin pack, and the custom pan zoom tool. which will run you like 30 total. for 30$ I am a 3rd of the way to a much better product.

Being able to slow video down is also important in some cases.

Another useful thing would be to highlight areas of the screen without zooming.

I am not sure what kind of special effects are important, but for style, I would like to see a forward, rewind, forward type sceene of the same critical moment like a headshot or running revive. there are othe video effects I have seen that i would like to use.

Windows movie maker can do enough this with some of the cheap add ins available and other free programs. the main limitaiton is that you can not zoom within it for free (so far as I can tell). I suspect if you were a clever programmer you could figure out how to make your own xml plug ins for zooming.

for video software, I am having a hard time deciding what to purchase. I am now willing to spend about 100 bucks on some video editing software. I have managed to convince my wife we can make movies of the kids that our parents will like, and our parents in response to well produced videos of our adorable children will buy our kids more stuff. So in the end, the movie software should pay for itself. (Yes I am just that devious).

One site with some reviews of relevent recent video editing programs is
                    http://video-editing-software-review...FQglSgodJDVQwA
                    The problem is that the software they are recommending was given very poor evaluations on amazon.com.

meh.

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                      What makes you want to go with vegas silver?

There is one thing that people really need and that is pan zoom. You need to be able to zoom in on parts of the screen several times to illustrate certain things. I tried out Rhans pan zoom effects last night. they are ok, but will requre some simple xml editing to set up something different than the default zooms.

pixelans plugin seems ideal, but It seems like you need two things, the pan zoom plugin pack, and the custom pan zoom tool. which will run you like 30 total. for 30$ I am a 3rd of the way to a much better product.

Being able to slow video down is also important in some cases.

Another useful thing would be to highlight areas of the screen without zooming.

I am not sure what kind of special effects are important, but for style, I would like to see a forward, rewind, forward type sceene of the same critical moment like a headshot or running revive. there are othe video effects I have seen that i would like to use.

Windows movie maker can do enough this with some of the cheap add ins available and other free programs. the main limitaiton is that you can not zoom within it for free (so far as I can tell). I suspect if you were a clever programmer you could figure out how to make your own xml plug ins for zooming.

for video software, I am having a hard time deciding what to purchase. I am now willing to spend about 100 bucks on some video editing software. I have managed to convince my wife we can make movies of the kids that our parents will like, and our parents in response to well produced videos of our adorable children will buy our kids more stuff. So in the end, the movie software should pay for itself. (Yes I am just that devious).

One site with some reviews of relevent recent video editing programs is
                      http://video-editing-software-review...FQglSgodJDVQwA
                      The problem is that the software they are recommending was given very poor evaluations on amazon.com.

meh.
                      I chose vegas because Sir.Community use it. They make all the best gaming vids and thats what they use. That is the single factor I based my decision on. i have but not used much till now, Sony Vegas Movie Studio +DVD 6 (Platinum Edition).

I am writting a custom plug in for pan/crop to go in windows movie maker (more on that latter)

With a windows movie maker plug in of $10 or $20 may seem fine but then, like you say, its starting to be a good chunk of the price of a much superior product and for $100 you can get something far better than WMM.

Slow down can be done in default WMM, its a video effect.
                      Last edited by Exploding_Silver; 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post

Slow down can be done in default WMM, its a video effect.

but you dont have a lot of options with it to control speed unless you go in and write you own custom plug in.

one useful plug I found for WMM is:

http://www.desilucy.com/index.php?lvl=5

the xml generator for custom effects is quite nice.

another thing I found useful was this add on for custom speed effects. also free:
                        http://movies.blainesville.com/2007/...-maker-xp.html

Comment

Vegas=pwnage over other editing software, the only one that compares/beats vegas is Adobe Premier.

Comment

are you talking about the full version of vegas? or the vegas movie studio?

Comment

I have been messing around with vegas movie studio and several others. premier is really difficult to figure out. I essentially got no where with it in about 2 hours of fiddling around.

powerdirector is garbage.

sony vegas movie studio is very cool. I am still getting the hang of it. I am having a bit of a struggle figuring how to add FX to parts of a clip. I am so used to windows movie maker.

I could see using a couple video FX, but where it really shines is in the zooming capabilites.

I wonder if the output looks any better than windows movie maker.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X