FRAPS issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAPS issues

I have downloaded FRAPS and I do not think everyone else is having these issues or they would not be taking so many videos.

Details: I purchased the full version of FRAPS, version 2.8.2. I have it installed on a second hard drive with approx. 40 Gigs of free space. I have an BFG 7600 GT Video Card and the ForceWare 93.71 drivers

1) After 7 minutes or so of recording, FRAPS just stops recording. Screen freezes, and FPS count goes from red to yellow. Does the full version of FRAPS have a time limit on recording?

2) If I stop a recording myself or FRAPS does it automatically I can not start recording another movie. I have to close FRAPS down and restart it in order to record another movie. I assume this is not normal.

3) The videos that I do get, I can not open with Sony Vegas or Windows Media player. I have to use VirtualDub to open them and then split the file into smaller files, which can then be played with Window Media Player, but the Video and Audio are not in sync.

Do these things happen to everyone or is it just me? If they did happen can anyone help me get them straightned out?

Thank you,
    Jeff
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: FRAPS issues

1. Full version does not have a time limit, but it does have a file size limit. After recording a file that is about 4 gigs, it will start a new file. These files can be seamlessly joined without a dropped frame.

2. That is not normal. I have not encountered that problem before.

3a. I can open both in windows media player and sony vegas movie studio. I can also open the AVI files in windows movie maker.

3b. The sound is sometimes out of sync in the fraps avi files. There is an issue with playing these large AVI files in windows media player where the sound get more out of sync the deeper into the file you play. It will start out fine, but then get more and more out of sync as time passes. This is an artifact that will be corrected when you encode the video. If encoding in windows movie maker, you want to cut the files down to smaller pieces. Sometimes the sound is offset by a constant amount. I often find that the sound comes in 300 or so MS before the action in the video. You can fix this in virtual dub.

possable solutions (in no particular order):
    1. make sure you have enough room to record. The larger the screen res you are recording at the larger your file will be for the same time frame. Each file will be about 4 gigs, for some, that file will be 1 min long, for others it will be 8 minutes long.

2. reinstall fraps.

3. uninstall any custom codec packages you have installed. custom codecs can interfere with vegas or windows media player reading the avi files.

4.try lowering the settings at which you are recording. It could be that your system is just too taxed by fraps and it is running into errors due to a lack of memory and cpu resources.

5. post this question on the fraps forums. People there have a reputation for being helpful. Also contact thier customer service. You payed money for the software, they are obligated to help.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
      1) After 7 minutes or so of recording, FRAPS just stops recording. Screen freezes, and FPS count goes from red to yellow. Does the full version of FRAPS have a time limit on recording?
      Make sure the partition is FAT32 or NTFS formatted. You could run into trouble writing large files on any other file system under Windows.
      former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I tried reinstalling FRAPS. I had emailed their tech support and they basically gave me the same suggestions you did sc1ence.

I think I discovered what the problem was. I have an onboard video processor, Nvidea 6100. When I first installed the new video card I uninstalled all of my Nvidea drivers, well my motherboard chipset is also Nvidea. So when I uninstalled my drivers I lost my ethernet drivers. I had to redownload the drivers and everything worked fine. I started to wonder if I had a conflict between the old onboard video, the new video card and FRAPS. I went through and deleted all of my Nvidea display drivers, reinstalled Forceware 93.71 and everything went smoothly last night.

Thanks for the help!!
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

woot, another happy frapper!

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

to help cross reference threads
            click here for 2142 fraps thread

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed