VEGAS: Picture in Picture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEGAS: Picture in Picture

With the advent of TG turning on Battle Recorder on our servers it becomes much more likely that people will have multiple video feeds from a single event (even without people coordinating recording.)

So, I was thinking about ways to go about editing in translations on video feeds from on feed in PIP to the other feed in PIP.

To start with you want to prep your PIP settings, and you can use this to create a PIP window for the entire movie simply. Here is a view of the Pan-Zoom settings on a clip:

Make sure that the clip you want in the window is "on top" and Pan-Zoom out so that it looks like the above pic. The "lower" video track will show through behind this one, and you will be able to see both. If you are having trouble with seeing your vid on the pan window, look at the settings on the left side (the one currently highlighted in blue.) You can set the zoom factor on your workspace so that it is easier to move the Pan-Zoom boundaries around. I would recommend dropping it to 25-50 so that you can easily create your PIP window settings.

I would recommend that once you find a nice PIP setting for the Pan-Zoom screen that you use the dropdown at the top which normall reads "(default)" to enter a name for your PIP settings and save it using the disk icon. Mine is called PIP, oddly enough. This allows you to recall this setting and apply it to any keyframe at the drop of a hat, and it will always be the same. So it is both faster and more precise to keep your vid crispy.

This is all basic, so far. The complicted matters come in when you want to transition from one window to the other without a simple jump-cut.

While you're reading D/L this short clip I'll reference later. This is a composite of two rendered videos, so there are some transitions unrelated to the PIP swaps on there but they are not important for this.

This next picture is the track section for the video I just posted:

First thing is that to make your life much much easier add another video track that you will use as a temporary hold track when you do PIP swaps. This will save you a lot of time so that you do not have to constatnly cross-swap clips.

The first transition I'll be talking about is the one at the 8 second mark. Go ahead and watch that video now if you are done D/Ling it. Notice that the PIP window expands to fill the screen, and then the other feed fades back in over it completing the swap. This gives the viewer a reference as to what they are watching without the jarring stutter of a jump cut. Obviously, you don't have to re-draw the PIP window, and can Pan-Zoom the PIP window up and back to highlight footage from that track.

To execute this transition, Shift-click both video tracks you are using so they are both selected. Choose your beginning and ending points in time (I've found that approximately 1-2 sec is good,) and split the tracks using S. Once you've got your segment isolated it's time to pull up the Pan-Zoom tool on it by clicking the icon on the track.

At this point there should be two Keyframe diamonds on the track. Add another one near the beginning of the track. If you look back at the keyframe segment on the first picture you will see how I have it setup.

Now if you saved your PIP settings from earlier this is easy. Set the first and middle keyframes to PIP, and change the last one to "(default)". If you want to make the tansition faster or slower all you have to do is move the middle keyframe until it is exaxtly how you want it.

Now, you've got the PIP window to grow, but you need to have it stay there when the second window comes back up. So, take the later part of the clip and move it from the upper track to the lower track. This would be from track2 to track4 in the picture above. This places the clip "behind" the other window so that you can re-add the PIP feed back over top.

Then on the segment on the middle track, change its Pan-Zoom settings to the PIP you saved earlier, and add a fade in as normal with the Fade Offset icon like you normally would (grab the upper left hand corner and click-drag right.) This will fade the window in on top of the new background.

The second transition I have is a flash-jump. This one is much easier to execute. The downside is that you lose some video time due to the overlap in the transition. Simply split the clips again like in the first part where you want to make the switch. Flip flop the right cut of the track that is not the middle track to the other channel (i.e. move 2 to 4 or 4 to 2.) Select both track right split segments and drag them beck to the left over the timeline to create a transition. Use the transition picker to place a Soft Flash over the overlap on track 2. Then use the Pan-Zoom tool to swap the settings for PIP and (default.) After that, take the upper most track and push the Fade Offset in to last as long as or slightly longer then the transition. This will allow the flash to show through the feed that is placed over the transition.

If you have some interesting setups for swapping picture in picture feeds, post 'em up so that we can all add to our editing toolboxes!
    sigpic

Re: VEGAS: Picture in Picture

it works
    when i spend more time experimenting with vegas i will try this

Comment

Nice, when I pull together the funds for Vegas, I bet this will come in very handy,

Comment

Here is a short video tutorial of picture in picture and split screen.

http://ninteh.co.uk/e107_plugins/for...ewtopic.php?11

Comment

After watching that tutorial you posted, I'm wondering what advantages using track motion has over P/Z or vice versa. They *seem* to do very similar things to the end output. Have to check into that.
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X