How to make WMM not Suck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make WMM not Suck

I have done the following and it has turned WMM (Windows Movie Maker) from a steaming pile of garbage to a great movie making program for all your gaming needs. This is a very easy guide and you should have no problems getting this set up. Took me 5 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copied from http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingamebo...hreadID=385659

1) Download and install Windows Media Encoder 9 Series. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

2) Create your profile. This utility will give you a program found under Start > Programs > Windows Media > Utilities > Windows Media Profile Editor. You use this program to build a custom 'profile' for Windows Movie Maker, so you completely control bit rates, keyframe, resolution, fps, audio/video codecs, etc.

3) Save your profile. When you finish creating the profile, you save it under C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\shared\profiles. If WMM is open, save your project, close WMM and reopen it.

4) Compile your video. Now when you go to File > Save Movie, pick the 'Other Options' (the same place where you saw the other rendering options) and you'll see your new profile available for selection. The video will then compile based on your profile configuration.

//
    I spent a lot of hours finding the best combination of quality and filesize and have hit my sweetspot afaiac. Here is the template of my current profile:

Audio
    Mode: CBR
    Codec: WMA 9.2

Video
    Mode: Quality VBR
    Codec: WMV 8

Quality-based Settings:
    Audio Format: 128kbps, 48kHz, stereo CBR
    Video Size: 1152x864
    Frame Rate: 25
    Video Quality: 90 (on a quality-based profile, this essentially drives the bitrate)
    Key frame interval: 3 secs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should probably do everything that the guy has mentioned and not change anything besides the resolution. Though of course if you know what your doing then go ahead and change anything you want. Post back your replies and what you think. Make a video and save it twice, once from the normal way you would before, and the other from this way.
    Last edited by FatCobra; 07-22-2007, 10:29 PM.

Re: How to make WMM not Suck

Great stuff FatCobra....thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.
    |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

WOW...Cobra, you have no idea how much I need this info right now...Mucho Kudos...
      |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

No problem guys, I know how you feel. I changed a few things around and got a overall better quality video.

I made the resolution 1280 X 1024 since that is what I play all my games at, I also made the Video Quality 100 since at 90 it was still somewhat blocky with certain colors and movements. Also made it so the Video Codec was WMM 9 and not 8.

You can make as many profiles as you want, and delete the old ones you don't want when you are about to save another one.

Comment

hmm... I don't see how these settings integrate into WMM? When I hit Save to my Computer, I get the same options as I did before?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            hmm... I don't see how these settings integrate into WMM? When I hit Save to my Computer, I get the same options as I did before?
            After you make a new Profile, you have to restart WMM. When you go to save your video, you click on "show more options" you should then see the name of the profile that you made somewhere in their, for me its on the bottom of the list.

Comment

Cobra,
              This worked great ad I couldnt be more thankful.

Whiskey,
              If you are still having trouble with these I took a screenshot of the place where you choose this profile. I named mine "Movie Maker Encoding Profile". After telling WMM where you would lik to save the movie file you get the screen below.

Comment

yeah I'm not getting that... hmm... where do you save the profile you create in encoder?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  yeah I'm not getting that... hmm... where do you save the profile you create in encoder?
                  C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\shared\profiles

Comment

Anybody get this working on Vista? Vista 64 really.

I tried it, but nothing changes in WMM.

For one thing there is no C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\shared\profiles folder, and I created one, but still nothing.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X