Handheld Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handheld Cam

I have a dilemma, I would like to record video in the Source Engine mimicking a camera on the shoulder, hand held. I guess you could say I would like the head bob and everything.

Does anyone know of a hidden value? A script? A plugin? Anything? Any ideas?

It would be for use with the Orange Box version of the Source Engine. Specifically Team Fortress 2...

I have Garrys Mod, if anyone knows for a lua script in there :D

Re: Handheld Cam

Please let me know if you find anything like that. Thanks.
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

If you can't find a script to do it for you, shrink the viewing box in post processing. You'll be cutting out some data but then you can move the viewing box to get a bobbing effect. It's not quite the same but it just may work.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        If you can't find a script to do it for you, shrink the viewing box in post processing. You'll be cutting out some data but then you can move the viewing box to get a bobbing effect. It's not quite the same but it just may work.
        Yah I know that, but that's a lot of work and even with tweens you'll never get that full effect of seeming randomness.

*sigh* I might have to make my own :(

Comment

Here is how you achieve this effect, its much easier to demonstrate then to explain so bear with me:

record your video from the game as normal, make sure you are using a higher resolution than what your final project will be. This will allow you to move the image around in your composition with out seeing black borders around your footage.

import your footage into Adobe After Effects, animate the bobbing motion of the screen by animating the position value of your clip so that it looks like it is bobbing (use mostly the X coordinates and a little bit of sway on the Y) Just be carefull not to move the footage too far up or down or you will see the edge of the footage and a black border.

click the Motion Blur icon for the layer that contains your clip you animated and then turn on motion blur for your composition and render it out and export it to add into the rest of your project.

I know this must sound confusing as hell, PM me if you have questions.

edit: note this will look like crap if you are showing any HUD. This effect works best when you have everything turned off (HUD, Gun, Crosshair etc)

Comment

Yah I know there's that option, and I use Final Cut Studio. I just feel that even with that I can't achieve it as well as I'd like. With Garrys mod I can power zoom and achieve depth of field as well, but I don't know how these filters will work with that :(

For Final Cut Pro there's a filter called steady cam I believe and you can use that . Also there's Motion which has some pretty neat stuff in there as well :/

Also food for thought, is there a scripted way to get into a game and film being invisible, invulnerable, and shutting off your hud? I'd love to do this on TG, but I believe the only way to do so short of playing in game is to actually enter spectator mode :(

Comment

I havent heard of any scripts that do that for any game.

There is the Movie Maker's Edition of Quake 3 iirc you might want to check that out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X