Fraps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraps

hey everyone, when I record some of my games with fraps, if I record 8 minutes of footage, it's 4gb. is there a way to make it record without using that much memory, if not, would someone recommend a program that would make it use less space without loosing much quality?
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Re: Fraps

what are your settings for fraps?

try reducing the fps cap
    recording at half size

Comment

what mach said. even then, your files will be huge. Get used to it.

edit: Correction!
      Last edited by Zoraster; 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

FRAPS = large files. Buy a 1TB HDD and then you won't have any worries. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
          FRAPS = large files. Buy a 1TB HDD and then you won't have any worries. :)
          well i'm going to build a new computer by christmas, so that can wait, plus i would not want to install a new OS right now.... thanks for the help with settings but i found a free program that makes them alot smaller without loosing much quality, thanks anyway guys
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

you don't need to install a new OS to get a new HD. You can just use it as a secondary harddrive. Or you can always just get a cheap 500GB external harddrive for less than a hundred bucks.

Comment

I use a 2nd harddrive for recording fraps. Even with a solid cpu the major problem with recording was the lag induced by recording on the same drive as my os.

You can check out some other options in the video subforum of the hardware forum.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/video-production/

This thread should probably be moved there. :)

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

how do you move it? and the program i use is called virtual dub, look up on youtube on how to use it to compress.
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Mmm, I usually use virtualdub to clean up the FRAPs files. Very handy program, and can encode things pretty nicely.

An admin would have to move the thread.

I usually leave the files I record on my RAID 0 array until I get a chance to sort through what I want to keep, and then move them onto a storage drive. The RAID 0 seems to help the write process while FRAPs-ing.

Comment

External Hard Drive. At least that is what I use to deal with the big file size.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                      Mmm, I usually use virtualdub to clean up the FRAPs files. Very handy program, and can encode things pretty nicely.

An admin would have to move the thread.

I usually leave the files I record on my RAID 0 array until I get a chance to sort through what I want to keep, and then move them onto a storage drive. The RAID 0 seems to help the write process while FRAPs-ing.
                      i forget what the RAID 0 setup is with the hard drives, how does that work?
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

RAID 0 takes an even number of drives and runs them in striping mode. The data is distributed evenly across them, and the throughput is higher than if you were to use a drive by itself. It utilizes the full capacity of the combined drives.

The downside, if one of the drives crashes, you lose everything.

With SSDs dropping in price, RAID 0 isn't something people really should be looking towards right now really. Unless you have oodles of money and RAID some SSDs.

Comment

there's no real reason to go RAID 0 now unless you're doing something for your job that requires super fast hard drives. Remember that hard drive speed has little effect on gameplay. Fast HDs make life nicer, but they aren't going to improve your gameplay experience much (other than perhaps to load maps faster. which could mean you get into that squad you want!)

Correct me if I'm wrong, Anospa, but if you want a stable Raid 0 rig, you really should buy a separate Raid controller (which can be expensive) rather than relying on the motherboards.

Comment

Yep, if you're gonna be serious about a RAID array, you'd want to invest in a quality controller. Also, it makes for less of a headache when installing OSes. Win 7 didn't recognize my array, and I couldn't find a proper driver disc, so I have to use a boot disc before loading into Win7. Keep in mind my mother board is the better side of 4 years old (NF4 chipset).

RAID 0 is all or nothing: if you're array fails and you haven't backed up your data elsewhere, its gone.

Also, if you're going to make the effort to set up a proper RAID array with a controller, you'd do well to research the other RAID platforms and what they offer.

The main reason I did the RAID array originally was the faster boot/load times for general stuff, loading games faster happened to be a sweet benefit!

Comment

For basic drives the Intel RAID controllers do well enough, when you start putting higher class drives like +2 Intel SSDs is when you can see a RAID controller really come into its own. Something like this.
                              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X