Video resolution questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video resolution questions

Hey all -- I'm looking to make youtube HD videos, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I play at 1680x1050 -- the native resolution of my monitor. I can record at this speed, but the files are too large.
    So, the next best option is half-size recording which is 840x525. Of course, this isn't youtube HD -- that'd be 720p and that's 1280x720.
    Now, I can stretch my video, but that doesn't feel right.

I'm wondering what kind of setup ya'll are running? Is it really a huge deal to run the game at the resolution different from the LCD native resolution?
    Post up your setups in terms of resolution/software/etc. I'm basically looking for advice.

Re: Video resolution questions

I play BC2 at 800*600 at 20 FPS, when i record fraps it goes down to 11 FPS at full screen (ie 800*600)

sad face

Comment

serious response now

option 1 (recommended)
      my advice is grab the footage at the highest resolution you can and still be able to play at
      if you can play at 1680x1050 and record full screen then thats great
      if you hard drive is filling, then consider an external hard drive on USB2 connection
      then render out your videos at the same res of 1680x1050 and upload to youtube at above the HD trigger of 1280x720

option 2
      play at 1280x720 res and record full screen then render out at 1280x720 and upload to youtube at 1280x720, so 1280x720 all the way down the factory line
      however you may perceive playing at this lower res as unacceptable

option 3
      play at 1680x1050, record at half screen 840x525, render at 840x525 and upload to youtube at 840x525, the picture on youtube will be good, but not hit the HD trigger

option 4
      play at 1680x1050, record at half screen 840x525, render at 1280*720 and upload to youtube at 1280*720 and thereby trigger the HD, but its fooling the system. i dont recommend this, regular youtube viewers of your videos will realise their bandwidth is not giving the quality on your youtube account

option 5 (worth an experiment at least)
      change recorder from fraps to "growler guncam"
      "growler guncam" is not as user friendly as fraps and you have to export the video out of the recorder before even sticking it into your editor, I find growler a pain and only use it when fraps or wegame work badly for a game's engine eg ETQW
      The one big positive about growler is that you are not limited to full or half, you can set the recording res at whatever you like while still playing at 1680x1050. So you can play at 1680x1050 and record at 1280*720, then export from growler at 1280*720, then render at 1280*720, then upload to youtube at 1280*720 and trigger HD

option 6
      wait for wegame to become compatable with BC2, wegame has a great recording codec where the file size is smaller yet the quality is good and the res is full screen. However wegame have seemed to have stopped updating their recorder with new games, so dont wait for them to catch up, you may not do another movie this year !
      Last edited by Exploding_Silver; 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

by the way, youtube super wide screen is triggered at 1920*960 ;)

Comment

Youtube wouldn't handle my 1080p videos about the gameplay. I'd recommend you to run it windowed to get the best resolution for screen + videos, atm it isn't possible but hopefully videos + resolution adjustments will work when the actual game comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
            serious response now

option 1 (recommended)
            my advice is grab the footage at the highest resolution you can and still be able to play at
            if you can play at 1680x1050 and record full screen then thats great
            if you hard drive is filling, then consider an external hard drive on USB2 connection
            then render out your videos at the same res of 1680x1050 and upload to youtube at above the HD trigger of 1280x720
            Would love to do this, but this machine cannot handle it. Not enogh HDD space, and definitely not able to record at that resolution right now.

option 2
            play at 1280x720 res and record full screen then render out at 1280x720 and upload to youtube at 1280x720, so 1280x720 all the way down the factory line
            however you may perceive playing at this lower res as unacceptable
            I'm seriously considering this, and I'm thinking that it'll improve my ingame framerate a bit. The stretching isn't that huge of a deal.

option 3
            play at 1680x1050, record at half screen 840x525, render at 840x525 and upload to youtube at 840x525, the picture on youtube will be good, but not hit the HD trigger
            Nope, the quality is pretty terrible.

option 4
            play at 1680x1050, record at half screen 840x525, render at 1280*720 and upload to youtube at 1280*720 and thereby trigger the HD, but its fooling the system. i dont recommend this, regular youtube viewers of your videos will realise their bandwidth is not giving the quality on your youtube account
            Really? I never thought about it that way. I'm actually uploading a 137% stretched video right now. It's not awful looking at all.
            I never really considered the bandwidth issue at all.

option 5 (worth an experiment at least)
            change recorder from fraps to "growler guncam"
            "growler guncam" is not as user friendly as fraps and you have to export the video out of the recorder before even sticking it into your editor, I find growler a pain and only use it when fraps or wegame work badly for a game's engine eg ETQW
            The one big positive about growler is that you are not limited to full or half, you can set the recording res at whatever you like while still playing at 1680x1050. So you can play at 1680x1050 and record at 1280*720, then export from growler at 1280*720, then render at 1280*720, then upload to youtube at 1280*720 and trigger HD
            Thanks for the suggestion, but this seems too complicated. I've paid for this version of Fraps and I'm very happy with it.

option 6
            wait for wegame to become compatable with BC2, wegame has a great recording codec where the file size is smaller yet the quality is good and the res is full screen. However wegame have seemed to have stopped updating their recorder with new games, so dont wait for them to catch up, you may not do another movie this year !
            Eh, it's too bad wegame never caught on. It seems like FRAPS is the #1 player right now, and with good reason. It's simple, well made, and well priced. Ah well.

---

Many thanks for the input, Silver. The next video will be 1680x1050 halfsize upstretched to 720p -- I'll post that in a bit. Tomorrow, I'll switch my game to 1280x720 and see how it looks. It may not be that bad.

Comment

option 7: Play and record at 1680x1050, crop, resize video in Sony Vegas or similar program, or reencode with SUPER Converter (free).

As for Silver's suggestion on option 4, You can make it look nice if you don't stretch the video, just letterbox it. The video will stay at 840x525 but will be much crisper. I think this is what he was trying to say.

As for external drives. If recording anything realtime I would suggest at least firewire 800 or E-SATA if that's available to you and definitely a 7200 rpm or higher drive, otherwise you'll get lots of stuttering at full res. Even if you grab a second internal drive it will help. If you're recording to the same drive that the game is reading it will slow you down a lot.

Comment

Yeah I think if the propblem is hard drive space, you either have to manage your space frequently, or capture at a lower setting. 500GB or more disks aren't that expensive these days, and not only can you use it to capture all your vids, allowing your system disk to run smooth, but also a great place to back up stuff! I capture at 1920x1080 at 30fps and although the files are huge, it still takes a lot of video to even half fill the driver..
                BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

I stand corrected on wegame, they have released a new version on January 20, 2010 that records with any game, and it works with BC2 beta
                  Wegame is free and is the best recorder IMO
                  http://www.wegame.com/download/

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestions. New PC is in the works for me, with at least 2 Caviar Black 1TB HDDs.

Comment

fraps is a beast with hard drive space. Total I have about 2.4 TB and recording multichannel, 60 fps, 1080p video is like 3 GB/ minute. I kind of want to try out recording with the new "Force Lossless RGB capture" option in Fraps just to see what the file size is.

Comment

If you want less trouble encoding the final video, just play at whatever*720

My native is 1440*900 but for recording I switch to 1280*720. It still looks ok enough.

Maybe off-topic, I suggest sticking to 720p for now. 1080p is still kinda "high end" and its just so big... You need huge bitrates to keep it high quality and then it gets dropped on youtube anyway. You need way more time uploading it than with 720p.

I could resize from 900 to 1080 and it would look ok still, but I wont do it, since its just too much work. 720p ftw. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                          I know you said you're getting a new computer now Zhohar, but for anyone else, I bought a 500GB external HD for this exact purpose. With a USB connection, I never had any problem capturing video. It works great and keeps all of your video on a mobile drive :)
                          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X