Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended GPUs for gaming AND Video Editing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended GPUs for gaming AND Video Editing?

Greetings,

I am putting together a new rig to get me back into TG and allow me to edit video. There are gamer cards, and then there are video-editing cards, such as the nVidia Quadro FX 1800.

Given that I MUST be able to edit modest 15 to 30 minute videos on my new build, can I get a gamer-dedicated card in the $500 range that will also not disappoint when using Premiere Pro and such?

Thank you,
    sigpic

Re: Recommended GPUs for gaming AND Video Editing?

I use a Radeon 5770. I do alot of gaming with games like ArmA, BC2, and several others and this card holds up very well. I also do video editing with After Effects CS4, and a couple others and this card rocks it.

Its a great card with a small price tag, plus if you have $500 to spend, you can get two and "Crossfire" them to run together.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Why not just install those programs on your new rig?

From what I've seen of your specs list so far, it's more than capable of running Premiere Pro just fine. (It could run CAD 3D just fine.) That and Blender and Maya, and 3DS Max, and ToonBoom, etc. :)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        Given that I MUST be able to edit modest 15 to 30 minute videos on my new build, can I get a gamer-dedicated card in the $500 range that will also not disappoint when using Premiere Pro and such?
        If you're getting a higher end 'gamer' video card you shouldn't have any problems manipulating video with apps like Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, etc. You may not have the same performance as a 'video-editing' optimized video card you'll do just fine. Video editing also utilizes your cpu so that will make a difference. From what I saw about your build, you'll be good.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

video tips from me are;
          as a general rule games draw on GPU heavily and video editing draws on RAM heavily
          overall if you system can game at full on graphics then it will edit well with extra hardware margin

top tip is record your fraps footage on a separate drive from windows/the game. This makes a big difference to being able to play at full res and record same time at full res.

Comment

Yeah, any of those top end video gaming cards can handle video just fine. As the gent above me mentioned use a seperate hard drive to stream video too. I recommend a very fast drive for that. SSD or 10k-15k rpm disk drive.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
              I recommend a very fast drive for that. SSD or 10k-15k rpm disk drive.
              That can't be stressed enough. I had problems with FRAP's, After Effects CS4, and my other editing programs until I upgraded my HDD. That one will make or break being able to do things efficiently.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thank you for all the advice.

My new build is up and running.

Off to buy a copy of BF-BC.

See you ingame.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse