Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

    Here is two version of the same video, one rendered as 720p and one as 1080p.

    Can you detect any difference in quality?



    1080p


    720p
    Last edited by E-Male; 10-01-2010, 07:52 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

    1080 is a tad better but almost because i am looking for it to be better
    the difference though is negligent

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

      Comparing at exactly 0:02 each, the 1080p has richer colours (or better contrast, or both...). At 1:48 (for example) I see more definition in the bricks and rubble, better shading and detail in the explosion -- a less washed-out image all round.

      Probably a 10% sort of difference, but better.

      Comments?
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

        1080 is better to my eyes but not by 10%
        we need a few more eyes/opinions

        so what was the res of the raw footage before editing ?
        what was the res off the two version rendered ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

          The 1080p footage is much sharper on edges than the 720p. I can tell the difference especially on shadows and building edges. Where in 720p, there's slight blur, 1080p has very clear definition to it.

          Also, the difference is much clearer when using a fullscreen view rather than the small view youtube defaults to.
          Semper Fi, Marines.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

            Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
            1080 is better to my eyes but not by 10%
            we need a few more eyes/opinions

            so what was the res of the raw footage before editing ?
            what was the res off the two version rendered ?
            AS RENDERED FOR UPLOAD:

            For the 1080P file:

            352 MB size
            MPEG-4 Files
            24 bits, 1920 x 1080, 30 fps
            Frame-based
            H.264 Main Profile Video: 15000 Kbps
            32000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo
            MPEG AAC Audio: 128 Kbps

            For the 720P file:

            127 MB Size
            MPEG-4 Files
            24 bits, 1280 x 720, 29.97 fps
            Frame-based
            H.264 Main Profile Video: 5000 Kbps
            44100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo
            MPEG AAC Audio: 128 Kbps
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

              looks interesting
              lastly does your raw fraps footage have res 1920*1080, if so then great
              if its less then rendering up to 1920*1080 is stretching the pic really
              however either way, youtube end result is better, so it seems like you have found the end of your pic quality rainbow

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                looks interesting
                lastly does your raw fraps footage have res 1920*1080, if so then great
                if its less then rendering up to 1920*1080 is stretching the pic really
                however either way, youtube end result is better, so it seems like you have found the end of your pic quality rainbow
                Hmm,

                Raw fraps files are 24 bit, 960x540 frame W&H, captured in FRAPS at 60 fps half-width (unfortunately, even with the core OCed to 4gb, my 5870 gpu does not perform well at full-width in fraps -- the video in-game stutters).

                Oh, I guess you mean my screen width at recording. My Screen/monitor resolution is 1920x1080, and the same when in game.

                So I guess you are right, this is as good as it gets for now.

                Thanks again for all the help XS.

                Down the road I would like to be able to play BC2 with fraps recording at full-screen mode and 60fps, with all settings on full, just to see what that is like, but it looks like that would require another gpu paired in crossfire.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                  Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                  Hmm,

                  Raw fraps files are 24 bit, 960x540 frame W&H, captured in FRAPS at 60 fps half-width (unfortunately, even with the core OCed to 4gb, my 5870 gpu does not perform well at full-width in fraps -- the video in-game stutters).

                  Oh, I guess you mean my screen width at recording. My Screen/monitor resolution is 1920x1080, and the same when in game.

                  So I guess you are right, this is as good as it gets for now.

                  Thanks again for all the help XS.

                  Down the road I would like to be able to play BC2 with fraps recording at full-screen mode and 60fps, with all settings on full, just to see what that is like, but it looks like that would require another gpu paired in crossfire.

                  recording 1920x1080 is probably bottlenecking your hard drive write speed (not your CPUs or GPU)
                  Its an extreme amount of data to write moment to moment

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                    Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                    recording 1920x1080 is probably bottlenecking your hard drive write speed (not your CPUs or GPU)
                    Its an extreme amount of data to write moment to moment
                    Does that mean E-Male is going to upgrade to SSDs??? :)






                    "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                      Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                      recording 1920x1080 is probably bottlenecking your hard drive write speed (not your CPUs or GPU)
                      Its an extreme amount of data to write moment to moment
                      Is the answer to this a faster HD or a SSD? At present I write from c system to D data drive, both are 7200rpm.

                      I suspect the answer is a fast ssd, which is less expensive than $400 for an unnecessary second gpu...
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                        7200 is standard write speed and fine for almost everything, except full screen writing at 1920*1000
                        SDD would solve that, I reckon
                        but check out this thinking with those more savy with hardware than me, ie Bamboo before spending 400 bucks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                          I think I'll wait till the Spring to see a price drop -- in Canada I am looking at over $150 for a mere 64 GB SSD. Too new, too much. I can wait a while for better HD FRAPs!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 720p vs 1080p YouTube BC2 Comparison

                            Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                            Hmm,

                            Raw fraps files are 24 bit, 960x540 frame W&H, captured in FRAPS at 60 fps half-width
                            If you're only capturing at 960x540 there is no reason to stretch the video to 720p or 1080p. This is one of the reasons that it is very hard to see a difference between the two videos. One thing you can do, however, is letterbox the video inside a 1080p file. What this would do is fool youtube into thinking that it is a 1080p video allowing it to stream at a higher bitrate than 960x540 would normally allow.

                            Youtube has terrible bitrates and no matter how high the resolution, if the streaming bitrate sucks the video will look compressed. 480p on Youtube streams at around 500kbps, 720p at 2 Mbps, and 1080p at 3.5-5 Mbps.
                            If I were to give it a guess, the only way to bypass the bitrate limits would be to upload a video in 2k or 4k format (2048x1152, 4096x2304). Using 2k or 4k video is a bit extreme though.

                            Edit: Also, you really don't need an SSD to record with fraps. I've been using 7200 RPM drives with 1080p recording for a good while now. It is a good idea though to record to a drive separate from the drive that is reading for game data. If you record to an external drive though I've found that it does need to be E-SATA or Firewire 800.


                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X