Elite: Dangerous: Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite: Dangerous: Stories

Have something interesting happen to you in game? Find something unique? Have an adventure? Make an awesome trade? Fight the hardest battle of your life? Post it below! Remember the Elite: Dangerous Codes of Conduct, like no naming and shaming.

I'll start!

I was visiting a system hunting pirates for a mission in my Viper in a new system that I do not frequent. I was supercruising around the system looking for Unidentified Signal Sources(USS) until I ended up just exiting at the Nav Beacon. That's when I noticed three other humans there at the beacon! Two vipers and a Cobra MK3. I was nervous because the couple of humans I met since the beta have tried to kill me. I decided to see whether minding my own business and continuing about my mission would be enough for them to decide to kill me or not. I saw a pirate and homed in on him. I got him down to around 40% hull when I got hit from one of the players. He flew past me in his Cobra and the radar indicator showed he was red. So either we either accidently shot each other beforehand or he shot me on purpose. I thought maybe he accidently shot me because we might have been going after the same target. I finished the pirate off, memorized the pilot of the Cobra's name, put my engine to full power, and supercruised the hell out of there! On the way out I texted him that I was sorry if I accidently hit him.

I turned around and came back because it resets the hostility of players in the instance. When I got back, I noticed that the Cobra and Vipers where going at it! That's when I knew the Cobra had attacked me on purpose and that he was just there to bully players! So I joined the fight! One of the Vipers left the scene and it was just me and the last Viper vs the Cobra, which is a pretty tough kill in its own right, but then he also had a Shield Cell Bank and a chaff launcher! I have gimballed guns which go haywire when a chaff launcher is used, and the shield bank allows him to recharge his shields to full! He had upgraded systems too because he could get our shields down right quick if he turned and fired. But we could get his down as well when his Shield Bank ran out, and eventually knocked out his shields! I only got him down to 94% hull before he started running. We were both chasing him away until he supercruised and left.

I had to supercruise back to the Nav Beacon because we had been chasing this guy for so long that we were many, many kilometers away. When I got back that Viper pilot met me there and thanked me for the help. We started texting each other back and forth and I found out that he is from France.(For you European or Americans who are worried about lag or some such while playing together, now you don't have to worry!) We friended each other and kept hunting our pirates(he must've been on a similar mission). Then the Cobra came back! And once again we chased him off together! It was awesome! I finished my mission and headed back to my system while saying goodbye. Later he messaged me that that player had come back and that my new friend barely made it out alive.

It just goes to show you that not everybody is out to kill you in this game...just most of everybody! lol!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Re: Elite: Dangerous: Stories

I've already got a new story to add!

I was not planning on getting on tonight, but as plans fell through, I decided to hop on just for just a little bit since it was so late. First I was just going to check the prices at outfitting. Then I was just going to launch, turn around and land. Then I was just going to get one bounty. Then....well you see the point. Haha

Anyway, I ended up at the Nav Point for the system I base myself at. I kept checking around and nobody was wanted, or the ones that were wanted were also green on the radar(dammit lol). I was about to leave and call it a night when an Anaconda showed up! "The mighty Anaconda!" I said, "Hell no! I ain't messing with that!......*scanning*....Dangerous too! That guy is going to be kitted out!....hmm, wanted....I wonder for how much?" I checked the contacts tab and it was wanted for around 98,000 credits! It was totally worth it! Especially since I have enough money for insurance.

He scans me, then I start blasting with the lasers trying to get his shield down, which while tough, was not too tough for my burst lasers! This guy had no chaff or shield cell banks, so all I had to do was keep blasting. But his lasers were EXTREMELY dangerous, a couple grazes against my shields was enough to bring them down almost to breaking point! I am trying to circle strafe him but I get no luck because he can turn fast enough to negate it. He had turrets anyway. That's when I noticed the greens where jumping into the fray! I didn't know if they were system authority(bounty hunting missions got me on their good side), or just because they were friendly they were helping me.

Either way, even though they do not do much damage even in a group, they do distract him well when I get away! So I start doing "bombing runs." By that I mean, I put all pips to weapons and two to shields. Then charge him and blast him with lasers to keep his shield down. Hopefully the NPCs will be able to help get the hull down once the shields break. I also target his power plant. If you can make it go critical then explodes the ship! If you have a subsystem targeted, any damage that pierces the armor has a greater chance to go to that subsystem. As I fly away I put all pips to engines and shields(more to the one that is needed at the time.) and let my shields regenerate to the point that I think that he won't break them if I do a quick run.

I do many of these runs, so many I can't remember the count. But with the greens distracting his turrets he eventually goes down! I don't know what modifies the bounty, or if he got extra bounties for retaliating vs us, but when he popped the bounty I got was around 110,000 credits! I was just so amazed that I was able to get it killed in the first place, but this is the biggest bounty I've ever gotten! Now when I go to the news section there are bounties worth five times as much! I wonder how they fly and what they are equipped with? Either way, in this case, the risk was worth it for the reward!

[support]

Comment

Cool stories (bro, lol, j/k). But seriously, enjoyed reading.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Cool Stories! Just bought and am hoping to hop on tonight and maybe tomorrow. Can't wait.
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Think I just missed ya in TS! I'll be on until 11:00 p.m. e.s.t. if ya end up coming back. I can try to be on later on in the day tomorrow too.

[support]

Comment

Just got into my first white-knuckle dogfight.

Having tried my hand at trading and making a jaunt out to Canopus, a frontier system 200Ly off the edge of the Empire, I relocated to the Codorain area to be neighbors with Scratchnsniff. It's a good area with access to all three factions and a few decent trade lanes. There's also an anarchy port with a black market nearby for, you know... flavor.

So I'd been flipping back and forth between my Adder for trading and a new Viper for combat. I experimented with loadouts and finally settled on a double Railgun 1 and double Multicannon 2 setup. But aside from occasionally getting flushed out of the melee at resource sites by large numbers of NPC pirates, I really hadn't had much of a challenge yet.

So today I finally got a navy advancement assassination target, and figured now was the time to try hooking a big fish. How big could it be for 140k? General Elgin, enemy of the Empire, had been spotted in a nearby system, and it was my job to take him out. I quickly returned to base, stored my Adder, and strapped into my shiny new Viper, with freshly upgraded power plant, coupling, and thrusters, all so I can fit those twin railguns. I launched into space and quickly pointed my nose to... the Internet. Since I have no idea how to actually find this guy.

After hopping around the system for a while, scanning NPCs and picking fights with pirates, I learned that you just have to hit as many USS (Unidentified Signal Sources - random encounter nodes), until the target shows up. So I breeze through a few combat encounters, blow by some traders, and scan the local planets while waiting for the next USS to spawn.

Finally, I drop out of supercruise and there's General Elgin! Behind me! In an Imperial Clipper! Shooting at me!

What followed was a brutal whirling dogfight. My shields were gone after the first salvo. I pulled around and brought my guns to bear, nailed 2 out of three shots, and peppered him with cannon fire. I had no idea the big ships could maneuver that fast, but this guy just spun on a dime every time I got in behind him. Not that he needed to be on-bore to hit me with those turreted beams. I spun away and hit the boosters, trying to juke my way out of his incoming fire before looping back for another run. By the time I had worked out his attack pattern I was already at 42% hull.

Then I remembered that the railguns were supposed to be good at taking out systems. While making a wide pass I risked a glance at my left monitor and selected his drive sub-system as a target. A reticule appeared over his starboard nacelle, and on the next run I blasted away at it with electric death while the multicannons kept his shields down. Hit! He started to turn more sluggishly, took longer to bring his own guns to bear, made shorter passes at me. I switched the targeting to his power plant and made my next pass.

Bursts of flame erupted along the underbelly of the clipper's hull. Still he came at me, my shield refreshed but barely holding. His hull was dropping slowly, but the damaged systems were hobbling him, keeping him from powering up his shield or boosters. Finally, we each made a long wide loop and boosted toward each other dead on. Despite having almost no shields left, I flipped all power to the weapons, switch off the cannons, and took careful aim with the rails. POP POP POP, three shots straight into the canopy and he spun off into the void and exploded just before his shield could restart.

My hand is wrenched onto the stick. I let go as the 200cr bounty pops up. For 5000cr in repairs and 15000cr in ammo. But it was fun. Now to go pick a fight with a CMDR.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Awesome story! Was on the edge of my seat until they gave you that little bounty. Did you scan the target with a Kill Warrant scanner? Even these guys SOMETIMES have bounties in other systems.

Either way, sounds like an awesome battle!

[support]

Comment

Apparently these mission NPCs gain a basic 200cr bounty when they attack you, but are otherwise clean (and I was mistaken about the mission bounty). In one beta version you would actually have to attack them first, making yourself wanted, and they would try to jump away like a normal trader NPC and break the mission logic. That didn't go over well, so they changed the AI.
                Last edited by Steeler; 01-17-2015, 08:58 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Good Story that just occurred a hour or so ago. I was in the Komovoy Anarchy system and did a quick jump into the Nav Beacon to see if anyone was lingering around ripe for the picking. I jump in and immediatly see a Cobra attacking a NPC. I line up behind the cobra and use my four Beam Lasers and take out his shields and bring his hull down to almost 50% before he even knows whats happening. He runs away and I begin chase, I'm about to fire for the kill when I start taking damage, I then realize that he had a friend with him in a Viper.

As I'm trying to check my ship and see what damage I'm taking and where the Viper is, the badly damaged Cobra jumps away. I decide to keep going full thursts forward so I can have some space between the cmdr viper and myself. After a minute or so, the viper gives up chase, my shields have fully regened and I turn around and go full speed right where I last saw the viper on the map.

I find him attacking a NPC, he either thought I ran off or maybe that he could get a quick bounty kill before I came back. His mistake, as I fire all four laser beams at him and take his shields out in one blow. I hear the three best words you can hear when fighting another Cmdr " Target Shields Offline" followed by the four worst words you want to hear "Frame-shift Drive Initiated".

Realizing I'm short on time, I target his Drive and do everything I can to hit it and only it, as every miss is a huge depletion of my slow batter recharge. My battery depletes, his drive is at less than 20%, I keep tapping my mouse button and give short bursts of fire on his drive. His engines seem to be lighting up, about to do the jump and get away from me. I keep clicking, 8%, 6%, 4%, and a final long click and his drive is at 0%.

He's dead in the water at this point, I message him a slightly mean sentence or two ( gotta stay in character as a crazy pilot who kills for no profit, just to see the world (space?) burn) and he knows what he has to do at this point. He turns to the right hand side of his ship, scrolls down the options until he finds the initiate self destruct option, and ... boom. He's back in station paying his insurance for being forced to kill himself as I'm flying through his space ships debris with a big grin on my face.

I look at my scanner and I see another hollow square, I realize its the cobra that I initially attacked, he must of gone back to base, repaired and then came back to help his friend, only to get back just in time to see him kill himself. I quickly do a 180 turn and go full speed toward the cobra that got away from me not even 5 minutes ago. I have a successful hit with all four laser beams throughout the 4 second burn, and his grazes me, but doesn't take my shields down as I quickly use up a shield cell.

Unfortunately for him, his shields are taken out too quickly and has no time for a shield cell use, and realizing he is in trouble, attempts to run away again. I follow suit, and target his drive knowing I wont be interrupted this time from his friend, and quickly take its health to 0%. I watch him float in space for a minute or so until he too, looks to the right of his ship and is forced to initiate the self destruct; and being thrown back into the station, joining his friend in paying a repair bill due to forced suicide.

Probably one of the better PVP fights I've had in the game so far.

-------------------

Below is a video of the first kill, for someone reason my other video did not save. At the end you can just see the Cobra coming back for his attack as the video ends. The video may not be viewable in HD for a few minutes/hours as it was just uploaded and that takes time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHJ...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Cool video. Are you tight for power running 4 beams?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                      Cool video. Are you tight for power running 4 beams?
                      Long Answer:

Power goes fast, so I have to be careful with when I choose to fire. I've found that the best setup with using power is as I am going into a fight I will have three pips on Engines and three pips on Weapons, with zero on System. This seems to be the best way to get the most out of it.

Unless you go all four pips in system, the shields are useless, only problem then is I need to peroidically throw a pip in sys to allow myself to use chaff when needed, or to recharge my energy storage to bring my shields to full health without wasting a Shield Cell.

Short Answer: Yes

Comment

Awesome, if a bit maniacal, story! Still felt a little bad for those guys, but that is the risk you take being in an anarchy system. Glad I learned to not go to any anarchy's with Grizzle before I had to learn it the hard way! lol!

The best way to combat the laser cooldown issue, if you haven't done so already, is to upgrade your power plant, your weapons will cooldown faster and last longer. Same if you upgrade you power distribution. I have two beam lasers and two multi-cannons and that setup works well, but I haven't tried all 4 lasers yet with the new upgrades. Soon as I buy my next upgrade I am looking to get, that is my next route.

[support]

Comment

Komovoy is great for bounty hunting if you're neutral with the feds.
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay.... So I have another story to tell you guys. I have it all recorded so I won't be typing a wall of text again and actually... I wont even type anything about it since I think you should all just watch it and not have the ending ruined. If you are AT ALL, Interested in flying a Viper, I highly recommend you watch these videos, especially the 2nd one, as it will demonstrate one of the vipers greatest strengths... even against another viper who doesn't know what they are doing. Read the Info for the 2nd video to get a brief summary of what to be looking for. I really want your guys opinion about these and if you enjoy them or not.

Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7oYJGYrvFs

Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxV5Vr_3mw4

Comment

Am I seeing this right? You're backing away from him, let him overshoot you, and so you're already tracking him as he tries to loop back?

And another drive hit. That's brutal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse