Exploration Expeditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploration Expeditions

Has anyone tried out any long-range exploration treks yet?

I've got my adder kitted out the way I like it, including defenses, surface scanner and upgraded FSD, so I'm planning a trip out to Canopus about 250LY from Achenar along the same plane. There's a single independent system out there that might be a good jumping off point for trips to the two nearby nebulas.

Does the game generate new stations and colonies yet or is that a future feature?
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Exploration Expeditions

I haven't yet but am planning on it. I also have an adder but do not have the funds for a surface scanner. We should share experiances in the future after we've done the treks. Remember to get a fuel scoop! :)
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I'm about half way to Canopus and cruising through some systems pretty densely packed with unexplored bodies. Things I've noticed that might be helpful if you plan on exploring the whole of a system:
      • Use the Discovery scanner when you jump in and when you move to a new area of the system.
        - Basic scanner has a range of 500 Ls.
        - The system map may show you objects that you may not yet have detected with the scanner.
      • Scanning goes faster the closer you are to a target.
      • The size of a target determines how close you need to be to start the scan.
        - Star: 1000 Ls?
        - Planet: 20-100 Ls
        - Belt: 5-10 Ls
      • Many stars have clusters of belts in close orbit. If you see a lot of objects within 10Ls, you can sit and scan them while fuel scooping.
      • Distant objects, including stars, will be visible as tiny dots against the skymap. You can see them move against the backdrop when you accelerate to high speeds.
        (I found a complete orbital system with multiple high metal planets and belt clusters this way.)
        - Most distant objects will be along the orbital plane highlighted in supercruise after you have scanned the center star.

Fuel star types: A B F G K M O
      sigpic

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Got to Canopus last night with 170k in carto data. 70k alone was from a single system full of high-metal planets. According to the wiki, 1 earth-like planet itself is worth 72k.

Got interdicted a half-dozen times in the middle of nowhere. Most of the time it was a rookie sidewinder I popped in one volley. Once it was a viper who gave me some trouble. One was a fully kitted Anaconda that stripped my shield and damaged some subsystems before I could get away. They did not show up on scanner before interdicting, so I guess these are random encounters or they spawn in relatively quickly before starting the attack.
          sigpic

Comment

Got back to populated space nearer to Federation. Even though I stopped at 10 more systems, I still made about 170k, same as going out. More exploration notes:
            • Only scan one belt cluster per belt to determine whether it is rocky or metallic. Additional scans get you no value.
            • The appearance of a planet in the system map is a decent clue to its value.
              - Bright, flat boring - rock and ice - worthless
              - Darker textures - may be "high metal content" or "metal rich" - valuable
              - Unique/interesting texture - probably very valuable, go have a look.
            • Gas giants are always worth a scan, both for their individual value and potential for metal-rich satellites.
            • Water is the best thing ever and can show up in very unusual places.

Seems the trick to profitable exploration is to maximize the number of valuable targets you can find while minimizing time wasted on snowballs and rocks. Right now it is not very profitable, although it did get me enough to start working on a Viper. Will definitely revisit once they do the exploration feature pass.
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...