Elite Lupus Dark to Fine Ring Nebula - Imgur
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Exploration Gallery

those are some beautiful pictures :)
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Thanks. My first trek was out to Lupus Dark Region B, where I figured out a good rhythm for long-range exploration. After that I spotted a planetary nebula, the Fine Ring, off to the side and headed there next.

After that comes the long haul out to the Northern Jewelbox cluster and the Cat's Paw Nebula:
      Elite Fine Ring to Jewelbox - Imgur

Will enter the Jewelbox next - a 217ly stellar trail of O type giants littered with black holes and neutron stars.
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome pics man!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
        [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
        [support]

Comment

NGC 6231, or the Northern Jewel Box, is an open star cluster in Scorpius, about 6 thousand ly from Sol. In Elite, the notable stars in this formation appear as a line of bright blue just south and to the right of the Cat's Paw Nebula:

Elite: Northern Jewelbox Cluster - Imgur

It took much longer to get there than to get through, but there are some amazing and unusual star systems there. Multiple dwarves and T Tauri stars orbiting black holes, with neutron stars hurtling way off the elliptical. Some systems are over 400 thousand ls across. Not easy to capture with visuals, as there are few decent planets worth exploring, but I got a few shots to share.

I'm a little disappointed with how black holes are represented. The lensing effect is interesting, but I was expecting visible gases or radiation or something. I put a 20x solar mass black hole between me and an O-type star, and it was just a dark pixel against the blue, even up close. And I do not recommend getting close. Something they should work on after the next nebula visual pass.
          sigpic

Comment

The Cat's Paw Nebula (NGC 6334) is an emission nebula in Scorpius. The Elite version doesn't look anything like the real thing, but it does contain hundreds of hot, young stars with very few planets. Like most nebulae, it also has a few permit-restricted systems that hint at future content.

Elite: Cat's Paw Nebula - Imgur

Making my turn back to civilization by shifting to higher latitudes.
            sigpic

Comment

You must've gotten a lot for money for some of those planets! Also that blackhole......anything like that....even in a game...freaks me out wayyy too much, i would not even get 1000Ls near that thing.

also, I have seen a nebula before through a telescope (the one under Orion's belt left-most star), and its just a big puffy white cloud-like cluster....in the game do they artificially color things?
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

It's hard to figure what individual worlds are worth because there is no system breakdown when you sell the data - just a lump total. There are also added value elements based on what you find in the scan. Metal, water, metallic rings, terraform potential, etc. The general consensus is that scans of Earth-like worlds will get you 70-80k. Water worlds 30k. Black holes and neutron stars 40k.

Nebulae in game look like clouds in the skymap, but they change in 3 dimensions as you move around the galaxy map, so you can see the contours and structures shift as you travel. They also affect the visibility of other distant galactic structures. Some are unique, like the Fine Ring or Bubble. Others are generic-looking red or blue blobs.
                sigpic

Comment

Traikaae AA-A doesn't seem to have a real-world analogue, but it is an interesting red nebula high above the galactic plane. Above 600ly north, you can start to see star field structures appear in the dark below you, and previously dark edges of the galaxy start to turn blue with starlight. Everything above is pitch black void. You really start to feel the limitations of your FSD as stars become fewer and farther apart, and route planning becomes critical. I need to descend a few hundred light years before I can safely traverse the gulf back to our spiral arm.

Elite: Traikaae AA-A - Imgur

Valuable planets start to thin out at this latitude, but I did find a cluster of neutron stars above the nebula, and my first white dwarf (DA type). Some interesting systems, too, including a spinning pair of tiny moons around a gas giant, so small I could practically land on them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Went ahead and read about it, apparently they artificially color nebulae in pictures and such depending on the light wavelengths. To the naked eye, they do look just white as I saw one. Apparently if you put the exposure time up A LOT, like 20 minutes, it can absorb the few color photons and you get real color from Nebulaes. To have a shutter timer that long and trying to keep it exactly on one point is difficult....I looked at Jupiter and it kept going out of the lens within 5 seconds cause of the Earth's spinning
                    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

That makes sense. Much of what we think of as nebulae are reflected, diffused, and refracted light from other sources anyway. In Elite, unfortunately, a lot of the big cloud formations are copy/pasted between nebulae. The two red clouds I visited are just rotated copies of each other.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                        That makes sense. Much of what we think of as nebulae are reflected, diffused, and refracted light from other sources anyway. In Elite, unfortunately, a lot of the big cloud formations are copy/pasted between nebulae. The two red clouds I visited are just rotated copies of each other.
                        yeah, i guess it would be difficult to make each one different
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Just a few pics of the long ride home, with a quick stop off at the Red Spider nebula.
                          Elite: Expedition 1 Return - Album on Imgur

Came in through federation space so I can refit for combat in Leesti. Although I got caught in the 1.1 nonsense and was stuck in station for 2 days, I walked away with almost 10 million credits in exploration data. That's about as much as I made running a trade route for 3 days in my Type-6, but this was a lot more fun. And I got my name stamped on a few hundred planets in the process.
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...