Thinking of Buying: A few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of Buying: A few questions

Hello all, Nerd here. So I've been eyeballing both this game and Star Citizen (I've bought a package in that game and currently sitting on it). i wanted to ask how this game works since it I've seen videos and pictures that have made me drool for awhile now. I'm thinking of busting out my Track IR when i graduate and have proper time to video game again (might be building myself a new machine as a gift to myself).

So the questions:

Is this an MMO, where you are on a persistent world server much like EVE? I know there is online single player, but is the online world consisting of the entire player base or are there servers?

The game world looks frikkin massive, what are the game play mechanics in terms of exploration, combat, mining and the like? Is going from A to B simply a matter of jumps or do you have to actually navigate your way around.

How do people "join on eachother". Do you simply seek eachother out and find eachother or is there an option to spawn in near you?

What are the death conditions? What are the starting conditions? Does buying the game give you access to everything or is there a microtransaction/subscription system?

I have track IR (if it didn't break in storage) and a relatively simply joy stick (Amazon.com: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick (Silver/Black): Artist Not Provided: Video Games) as my flying setup (also use an Xbox controller for Planetside flying). What does everyone here fly with?
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Thinking of Buying: A few questions

As a noob, (I have maybe have 6 hours into the game) I cant tell you a whole lot. But I will say I am mostly enjoying the game. It can seem a little boring at times, mostly I think because I still don't know the game well. A lot of time spent traveling and starring at your various HUD's trying to figure out where to go and what to do. After playing Star citizen for a while I can say I like the flight mechanics and combat much more then in ED. Other then that it is a very well made game. For me it is perfect for when I am in a bla mood and just want to randomly traverse the jaw dropping vastness that is ED, but I have always liked astrology and find our existence with in the universe remarkable. The servers I do believe are persistent, connecting with friends is as simple as sending an invite and death conditions so far I believe is just having to replace your lost ship (there is insurance for that). They are still adding to the game in the form of updates that require no additional funds ATM. Scratch and others in here can give you a better detailed synopsis of the game. It's that kind of game you want to play when your in that groovy mood and then just lose yourself as a captain in the milkyway galaxie. 400 billion stars! UH.... ya.... where do I go now.

Comment

Hi Nerd! Short version:

Elite is primarily a space flight sim with an MMO structure on a single shared server. Advancement is measured primarily through the acquisition of credits, although you can also rise in rank in various factions. Rank advancement and factions will receive a major overhaul in the next update.

You can fight PvE or PvP, trade, mine (also due for an update), or explore distant suns, all for profit. You can also switch between these roles fairly effortlessly.

The game supports local chat, friends lists, mail, and 4-man squads. There are no guilds, but the next update will allow you to join an NPC faction and influence its activities.

Death can be pretty frequent if you are not careful or if you do a lot of pvp. If your ship is destroyed, you can buy an exact copy of it for 5% of the original's total cost (which is clearly listed in the UI). As long as you keep that amount of insurance money in your account you can reequip. So you COULD lose everything, but if you pay attention you can recover from most failures for a tiny fraction of your investment.

Your control setup is more than enough, but expect to spend the first 30 minutes personalizing your control scheme and learning the mechanics. There is an offline-only demo mode (for free) available from the launcher.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

does it keep your attention?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

It has so far. Although I'm kinda off alone in deep space right now. I hope powerplay will spark some more community interest once you can align with a political faction and work toward more specific goals.
          sigpic

Comment

too much of a loner for that faction stuff

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Actually, you can play the "Powerplay" faction stuff alone or with a team. The factions are computer controlled I guess you would say. You just choose who to contribute to and how.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
              [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
              [support]

Comment

Yeah, the screens they have posted show a power's properties, their spheres of influence and the kinds of missions you can take to support them. You can do that in an organized group, by yourself in open play with other players around, or in solo mode with only NPCs.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...