Notes on Faction Ranking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes on Faction Ranking

One of the most contentious and confusing issues on the Frontier forums and the subreddit is "How do I increase faction rank?" One of the recent updates drastically increased the time and effort it takes to get rank up missions, and the complete lack of in-game UI feedback to track your progress in this pursuit has led to a lot of angst and rumors about how the system works. Here is what I have learned about the process and how you as a player can work toward a faction rank with a minimum of anxiety.

There are two major factions with a ranking system, Federation and Empire. For each faction you have an invisible player stat the support team refers to as Faction Skill. When you raise this stat to a particular number, the bulletin board will start to generate a variety of "Naval Ascension" missions. Complete one of those missions and you will automatically advance to the indicated rank.

Based on conversations with a CSR, my estimate for the faction skill threshold for ascension missions is as follows:
    1. 01 Recruit / Outsider
    2. 02 Cadet / Serf
    3. 03 Midshipman / Master
    4. 05 Petty Officer / Squire
    5. 08 Chief Petty Officer / Knight
    6. 12 Warrant Officer / Lord
    7. 17 Ensign / Baron (Dropship/Clipper)
    8. 23 Lieutenant / Viscount
    9. 30 Lieutenant Commander / Count
    10. 38 Post Commander / Earl
    11. 47 Post Captain / Marquis
    12. 57 Rear Admiral / Duke
    13. 68 Vice Admiral / Prince
    14. 70 Admiral / King

So if you are trying to get that last rank up for your faction ship, it will take you about as long to go from rank 6 to 7 as it took you to go from 0 to 5.

Faction Skill only goes up when you complete missions for minor factions aligned with that major faction. "Dangerous combat missions" are worth more than non-combat missions.

Reputation is related to faction skill, but they are independent. Doing missions will net you higher reputation with the related minor faction, giving you access to better missions, but your rank advancement is not dependent on your reputation.

Faction Skill is a one-way progress track. You cannot lose rank progress by working against a faction. Feel free to take assassination missions against allied minor factions if it will help you somewhere else. Just plan to stay away from the target system's stations until your bounties are cleared. Choosing a "dumping ground" system for all your dirty work can be handy.

You do not need to change systems as long as you are still getting missions. Changing to a new place may actually hurt you if you don't have allied rep with the minor factions there.

Reputation decay has been added. You will see random red arrows periodically indicating a slow decrease in your reputation with all factions. Do not be alarmed. This will not impact your rank progression. It takes about 20 days to drop from allied to friendly, and it will not drop below friendly on its own.

Want to speed up your progress without doing a lot of combat? There are a handful of stations that offer a steady stream of charity missions. These are low value missions but you can complete them instantly. For Federation, go to Tun. For Empire, go to Aymifa. Bring some food and medicine cargo in chunks of 2-6 tons if you can. Complete any donation missions you can until they run dry. If the board doesn't refresh quickly enough, exit to menu and switch between open, solo, and private groups to reset the instance.

TL;DR
    Want a fancy faction ship? Run missions for that faction. Do nothing else. Ignore the red and blue arrows. Don't be squeamish about shooting people. Prepare to spend a lot of time doing it until they re-balance the progression grind again. Mass charity missions are available in Tun and Aymifa if you have cash and like clicking.

Good luck!
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Notes on Faction Ranking

Excellent write up, sir! I was just wondering about all this since I am trying to get the last bit of rank. Is it true what I've heard, that though there are higher ranks, the highest you can achieve is the one that awards the ability to buy the faction ships?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

You get access to the Dropship or Clipper at rank 7, which is where the grind starts to get a bit tough IMO, but there are another 7 ranks above that, and I'm sure the forthcoming Federal Corvette will be up there. I have not heard about people getting stuck at Ensign/Baron - if anything, I see people brag about grinding up to Viscount in 2-3 hours. The rank system is a little buggy right now, and the recent changes have made it very hard to progress as a casual player.

Your results may vary.

If you feel you have been grinding missions for an inordinately long time and you're getting no where, I suggest filing a support ticket and asking what your faction skill is. It is rare, but sometimes the game will fail to issue you a rank up mission, and if you miss it you can get stuck. They are pretty quick to respond and will award you your rightful rank and all relevant system permits if there is an error.
      sigpic

Comment

Its the same issue I have currently; I will try systems mentioned here. And a thread (among others) has sprung on ED forums, google 'Elite dangerous stuck at cadet', should be on the top of the page. The thread has many posts related to this issue.

Comment

Updated rank numbers from this post:
          1. 00.5 Recruit / Outsider
          2. 01.5 Cadet / Serf
          3. 03.0 Midshipman / Master
          4. 05.0 Petty Officer / Squire
          5. 08.0 Chief Petty Officer / Knight
          6. 12.0 Warrant Officer / Lord
          7. 17.0 Ensign / Baron (Dropship/Clipper)
          8. 23.5 Lieutenant / Viscount
          9. 31.5 Lieutenant Commander / Count
          10. 41.0 Post Commander / Earl
          11. 52.5 Post Captain / Marquis
          12. 66.0 Rear Admiral / Duke
          13. 81.5 Vice Admiral / Prince
          14. 100 Admiral / King
          sigpic

Comment

Oh, I guess it doesn't matter now, because the Emperor woke up and all Empire pilots are now on Oprah:
            https://community.elitedangerous.com...57ba6d253de737

You get a clipper, and YOU get a clipper, and YOU GET A CLIPPER!
            sigpic

Comment

I gotta clipper, yay! :row__523:

[support]

Comment

I don't begrudge other people good fortune. Hell, I have enough incidental empire rank to get both ships if I wanted, this just seems like an obvious half-baked "solution" to the rank issues that people have been complaining about.
                sigpic

Comment

:( I don't have rep with any particular faction yet. I got left out of free biggish ship.

So does this ranking mean that if I want to go for any larger ships I need to join with a particular faction and rank up?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

[MENTION=13034]Acreo Aeneas[/MENTION], we can get biggish ships without the need for a rank in any faction. A couple faction ships exist.

The Federation Dropship, the Clipper, and the Currier are faction only ships.

From what I have read, the Dropship is rather utilitarian and a number of other ships of the same class out perform it. Maneuverability rank 2 is basically like flying a bus as far as I know.

The Clipper is somewhere on the same flying bus scale. You need to talk to Scratch about how it handles. This is an Empire faction ship.

The Currier is fast and mobile. Not bad, but you need to talk to Scratch about that. This is an Empire faction ship.

There are other faction ships that will be released, but when they are to come out is left to be guessed.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Plus it should be noted that you don't actually join the major factions. You can get good and progress with all three factions without affecting the other. Minor factions on the other hand are what Powerplay is all about.

I really liked my Imperial Courier. I used it for moving Powerplay items and courier missions. It also held its own in fights against ships of a similar class.

The Imperial Clipper on the other hand is like driving a bus, but then again it is going on the bigger side now, so it is more likely fly like one. The parts are expensive but I am currently making money to buy good modules. I can tell you all later what it's really like once I do so.

Either ship I have not put up against another player ship so I cannot tell you how they function vs. well-equipped/skilled opponents.

[support]

Comment

That's the main thing with ship comparisons: your experience depends entirely on what you want to do and what resources you have available to you. Big ships or faction ships aren't necessarily better at every task, but they all have quirks and advantages that may or may not appeal to you.

I really like my dropship for general PvE combat, but I know that if I want to do any traveling or trading it's going to go into dry dock for a while.
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...