Exploring tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring tips?

Ever since Scratch and I teamed up, ive been played Elite almost daily, upgraded to a cobra MK 4 and have been doing some mining. But mining seems pretty booring and I heard the main $$ is in exploring. Any tips?

Re: Exploring tips?

Not being much of an explorer; I did make a trip to Merope as an explorer and I do hear some tips about it now and then.
    Here is what I've learned/heard:
    • FUEL SCOOP! Get the best you can get and learn to use it. Remember this acronym KGB FOAM; these are the classes of stars that you can fuel scoop from. You really need to pay attention to your route and plan for this or you could be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
    • The Advanced Discovery Scanner is probably the next most important module. The basic and intermediate scanners won't find everything in the system unless you like flying around for hours. The ADS will find everything though mark it as unknown. You still have to manually scan everything. To do the object scan, you have to target it and point your ship directly at it from a certain distance and wait for the scan to finish. It seems the larger and more massive the object the further out you can scan it.
    • The Detailed Surface Scanner will get you much more money for manually scanning objects. Definitely a must as well.
    • Get all of your modules at D class (and as small as you can get) EXCEPT FOR THE FRAME SHIFT DRIVE. The FSD is supposed to be as big as you can get it and class A. Doing this will get you the FSD distances you will need as an explorer.
    • Certain objects are more valuable to scan than others. I am not sure how the entire scale is but you will want to look it up as some things are not worth scanning, unless you want your name on it. The game will mark whomever discovers the object first so if you just want glory points you can scan every single thing.
    • A lot of people say that you shouldn't bring weapons, especially if you are further out from human occupied space as this reduces your range; but then again there is always gangkers out there waiting to make your life miserable.
    • A trip to Sagitarrius A* has a new record of 8hrs to just get there. This was done with just hyperspacing, no scanning, and constant gameplay with no breaks. Plan on long trips being REALLY, REALLY LONG.
    • Be aware of your surroundings! Especially when coming out of hyperspace; you could get stuck between binary stars. There have even been cases where they've gotten stuck between many (5 if i remember correctly?) blue-white HOT stars! Those can be really dangerous situations!
    • Don't get blown up! You will lose all that data.
    • An Auto Field-Maintenance Unit MIGHT be useful, but it requires ammunition and adds more mass to your ship.

That's all I can remember for now, if I remember anything more I'll let you know! Can any of our intrepid explorers out there fill in any gaps I might've missed?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

what ship should I go for starting off?

Comment

Technically, since pretty much any ship can be fitted with a fuel scoop, you can use anything! I've heard of people making huge runs on Eagles and such. The ones I've heard used most for exploring are the Diamondback Explorer and the Asp Explorer though.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
        [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
        [support]

Comment

been mining past few days (still cant find damn platinum) but I have been finding orium and gold. Racked up about 2.5 million so far. feels like it takes forever haha

Comment

been thinking about getting a diamondback explorer

Comment

just went from 2.3 to 3.5 mil credits because I found some veins of platinum and palladium FINALLY

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X