New to Eve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Eve

Any good advice on someone just jumping into Eve for the first time? I've heard good things about the game and the depth and complexity of the game draws me to learn. However, jumping in as a noob I feel quite lost. Where to start?

Re: New to Eve

I'm still fairly new myself, but I'd say if anything you need to use a program like EVEMON to plan how you're going to train your character, minimise the required amount of time to go where you want to and get the best out of it IMO

Comment

any recommendations on what race I should start out as?

Comment

I don't think it particularly matters much anymore, if you don't like your current races ships etc it doesn't take long to train another to the starting proficiency level. I may be annoying someone more experienced, but honestly I'd just go for whichever one you can make look nicer / cooler. Picking your caste and background does have a bit of an effect however, so do pick one that suits the path you think you want to take.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, the race you choose mean nothing. The game starts you out with a slight bit of training in that race's ships, but it's only about 5 hours worth of training that it starts you out with. So it's not worth worrying over. Start out with whatever race you think is cool to represent yourself.

For example, I am Caldari, but I fly Amarr ships primarily with Minmatar ships as a secondary. My Caldari skip skills are nothing special.

More important is what race's ships you fly. You are not locked in, but for example, I fly Amarr ships primarily. The longer you play, the more your training skills will rely on having a lot of skills with one particular race. For example, I am training Amarr Carrier as we speak. To even start training Amarr Carrier, you need about 130 days of training in Amarr ships (same for any race). From Frigate 5 all the way up to Battleship 5, and Battleship 5 for a particular race takes 30 days to train just in itself.

If you are serious about playing, train for Minmatar ships and Projectile Weapons. Serious PVP'ers will use Minmatar due to their high speed and tremendous damage potential from autocannons. Tech II autocannons with Tech II ammo such as Barrage can devastate enemies in a 1v1 match. Minmatar ships are usually shield tanked, but are versatile enough that you can armor tank them. But that will slow them down. It is usually a good idea to shield tank your ship because you won't loose your speed, which is your best weapon for evading incoming fire. A shield tanked Hurricane (Battlecruiser) or Vagabond (Heavy Assault, Tech II Cruiser) with Tech II autocannons are very very dangerous enemies. Not to mention the Angel Pirate faction cruiser called a Cynabal. That little thing is vicious (you need Gallente and Minmater cruiser for the Cynabal though ;))

Amarr ships are good, but you are locked into heavy armor which makes you slow, and lasers, which can do a lot of damage, but are locked into EM and Thermal type damage, which enemies can easily anticipate getting from you.

Gallente are armor tankers as well, but can field a lot of drones for their ship size. They fit railguns and use Drones in most any engagement, which lots of their ships getting various bonuses to drone usage. They're ok, but not very popular due to their close up weapons called Blasters. Blasters are a bit buggy and can sometimes miss the target at stupid times when they really should not.

Caldari are a decent race to fly as well. Their ships can fit massive shield tanks on them. No matter what, it is advisable to be able to use a Caldari Battlecruiser (Drake)if you go to null-sec. The Drake is a great fleet ship and can fit a ridiculously large tank on it if done properly. Caldari use missiles as their main weapon with railguns as a secondary. But 9 times out of 10 you will use missiles as a Caldari pilot.

So my recommendations based on my experiences:

1) Minmatar - Shield or Armor tank, Projectile Weapons <- Hardest to train and master, but a thing of beauty when you do. Best ships in the game.
          2) Amarr - Armor tank, Laser Weapons <- You hit rediculously hard from range, lacks close in fighting skill.
          3) Caldari - Shield tank, Missiles <- Very utilitarian ships for null-sec war, but not a big deal if you never train them.
          4) Gallente - Armor tank, Railguns/Drones <- Niche ships at best. Can be tough to kill, but you're not missing anything if you skip them.

And a brief background on the races, but the info is in game:

1) Minmatar - Tribal culture, were enslaved and conquered by the Amarr. The Amarr fought the Jovians 20 years ago, suffered a massive defeat, and the Minmatar took the opportunity to rebel and win their freedom
          2) Amarr - Religious fanatics, believe they are destined by god to conquer the Universe. The Emperor is god's prophet,, that kind of thing.
          3) Caldari - Hyper-Capitalistic state, Run by mega-corporations. Focused around weapons industries and ship development. Came from the same system as the Gallente, ideas clashed, long war between the two, Gallente bombarded their planet, Caldari moved to a new planet to make their home.
          4) Gallente - The only Democracy in the game. Believe in personal freedom, individual rights. Strong enemies of the Caldari.
          5) Jovians - Non-player race, technologically superior to all other races, about 10,000 years ahead, technology-wise. The Amarr tried to conquer them, a single Jovian Carrier killed a whole Amarr battle fleet. They are neutral to everybody. They genetically engineered themselves so much they damaged their genome beyond repair and are slowly dying out and cannot find a way to stop it.
          6) Other races: There are at least 10 extinct races that lived in New Eden, some of them play roles in the game story by the artifacts they left behind. The automated "Sleeper Drones" found in Unknown space accessed through Wormholes were built by one of the dead races. Not much is being told about them just yet.

Game Basics:

Here's the EVE game story in a nutshell. About 10,000 years ago (the game is 20,000+ years in our current future) Humanity came to the New Eden star cluster (where the game is located) through a natural wormhole. It was stable, and a thriving colony in the New Eden star system sprang up. Colonies sprang up in neighboring systems using stargate technology. Nobody knows why, but the wormhole collapsed, devastating the New Eden system itself. The colonies needed supplies from Earth to survive, so they started to die out. Those that survived lost their knowledge over generations as they simply tried to survive. Some colonies such as the one that would become the Jovians were self-sufficient enough to survive without loosing knowledge. Which is why they are so advanced today. All the other races you play started over from basically the Iron Age after the wormhole collapsed.
          Last edited by shadow85; 03-12-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Shadow is pretty spot on with his PVP guide. there are a ton of ways you can go. I started with interceptors and maxed my jamming skills to make its role maximized. I can still do that today with a ton of other things I can now do PVP wise.

But there are other roles to. behind the scenes like building, mining and research. Everyone needs one at some point or your going to pay though the nose to get what you need. These dont require heavy combat skills and can make you money. But then to be boring otherwise.

You can also solo in lowsec as a prirate, but I would recommend that only after some good pvp experience. High-sec can offer safe missions and minig, but you can only go so far so fast. Corps do function here and can turn decent profits while fighting NPCs. One type I find fun is worm-hole corps that take advantage of that expansion. Theres pvp risk, but turns a higher profit for high-sec corps.

I started out with the Maelstrom crew. They were high sec PVP'ers when I started. They got hired by corps to wage war with other high-sec corps, that was a safer type of PVP that get me my basics of PVP down. Although if you hit a dry spell, there isnt much to shoot at and find yourself doing missions for a good week.

If you pick a route to go, we can better guide you on how to get there and what skills you should focus on.
            The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
            mutual respect for your fellow gamers
            and where all members
            would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
            Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Shadow85 and Eroak, thanks a ton! A lot of good information. I'm gunna fool around a bit with the tutorials and junk.

Playing as a Pirate sounds fun...although I dont know much about it.

Comment

Just remember this.... if you are going to pirate, you will loose security status for every attack you make. Very soon, you will find yourself locked out of empire space without a way to make money. You can get status back by killing rats, but you'd have to do it in low-sec which puts you at risk for being jumped by another player.

Learn the in-game aggression system for tricks on getting people to legally allow you to kill them in hi-sec without taking security hits.

The most basic trick is to find a guy mining into a cargo container. Take the ore from the container and place it into your cargo hold. You will be stealing from him and he will be allowed to attack you. BUT, he will probably be in a defenseless mining ship. Even if he shoots at you, he's probably weakly tanked and he will be flagging himself for combat. If he does not shoot you, eject the ore from your hold, thus creating a new cargo container in space. If he steals from that to get his ore back, he will flag himself for combat as he technically stole from YOU. So you can then legally shoot and kill him without security status penalties.

Just be wary if he warps off. When you steal, you are flagged to him for 15 minutes. That means he can go get a bigger ship and come back to mess you up.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll try learning the game before I get into that :)

Comment

Hi guys, thought I would use this thread instead of starting a new one sicne the topic is relavent. I have been interested in this game for a while but never played. I just downloaded the 14 day trial and am patching now. I will be in TS if anyone feels like schooling, and I will probably be on most of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow85 View Post
                      The most basic trick is to find a guy mining into a cargo container.
                      awww leave me be, im mining peacefully. but if u do attack me, my corp doesnt like thieves stealing cargo and ore from their gatherers. so once u get flagged. be ready to fight...my corp is big on industry, but alot of peeps in corp love protecting the miners :D why should i get flagged when i got other people to do it for me :D.

had that happen to me, someone stole some ore out of my cargo bin, and i formed a fleet with 3 of my corp members and they took him out and gave me protection, and they looted the loot from that guy's destroyed ship.

Comment

Don't mine into a can and you're safe. Just let your hold fill up then run back to station to dump it off. Mining into a cargo container floating next to you is like having a big beacon on your ship that says "come mess with me" :)

I had -10 security status for some time before I had to straighten up and get hack to hi-sec briefly. :D

Comment

Yeah, make sure you are self sufficient and have passive income streams before going blinky (-5 sec and lower). You are a free target and can't get into hisec once you go there. Its a fun way to play the game, but if you make the change too early, it may mess up the game for you.

For how to make money when you are beginning:

http://www.isktheguide.com/

(Yes, that is 400 pages on how to make spacebux)
                          Do or do not, there is no try....
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

actually some of the peeps in my corp fly orca ships so i just put my resources in there and they fly back, and when we all done they contract the stuff i mined back to me. with a small portion cut out for their hauling..

Comment

got my 2nd account active, main char gonna be doing hauling (transports) and salvaging..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X