The Futility of Null-Sec life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Futility of Null-Sec life

I wanted to give my experiences here so you can hopefully avoid frustration and annoyance that will ruin your EVE gaming experience.

I have lived in EVE null-sec since February 2010. Since August 2009, I have been a part of a corporation that me and friends from a gaming community started up. It has been through 2 iterations due to a corp theft in January 2011, but nonetheless, we've all been together since 2009 as I mentioned.

We started out in a renter alliance called Galactic Syndicate. We lived in Period Basis and initially were very safe. Our system was EIMJ-M which if you look up, is tucked away in the second farthest constellation from any empire space in the whole game. Roams were few and we were able to get very fat out there. We mined and ratted with impunity and it was indeed sweet. We had a great time on vent together and everybody in the alliance had a lot of fun. Eventually though, SYS-K, our landlords were toppled and we had to move. So we decided that as a corporation we were good enough to try and join GENTS alliance (Gentleman's Agreement) .

They took us in because they felt our corporation was good at PVP and organization, and we were. For what was basically a 25 man corporation of real players (50 total, but alts included in that count) with 10 Carriers, 2 Supercarriers, 2 Rorquals, 1 Jump Freighter, and our own cyno chains. Our PVP record was 90% out of around 2000 kills/losses. We joined GENTS in March of 2011 and were just in time to help them start taking over Delve that had been abandoned by IT. So we committed to the fight and were responsible for setting up 2 of the staging towers in the O-EIMK constellation.

For those of you unfamiliar with sov warfare, a staging tower is a safepoint in system for attacking forces. Basically you sneak into your enemy's space, setup a POS tower, arm it to the teeth, get fuel to it, and you had a safespot for your capitals and subcapitals that are attacking stations and sov structures. Needless to say, this was NOT an easy task. IT Alliance was still kicking and would throw fleets of 10 Dreadnoughts at our tower the second we onlined it. We only saved them by having an allied fleet come to system and sit there for 3 hours while we repaired it and onlined guns capable of defending against fleets. This happened 2 times in 2 systems in as many days for my corporation, but it was necessary due to the station timers that were coming out soon.

It took 2 weeks as an alliance to take and fortify the O-EIMK constellation in Delve with IT and Nulli Secunda alliance showing up to defend at every single timer for station attacks. Needless to say, many of us did not sleep regularly. We would get up at odd hours to defend, stay online for up to 10 hours at a time (with small breaks) and actually sacrifice portions of real life for this.

Those of you living in empire see none of this, but in null-sec this is absolutely normal behavior, and you are honestly expected to do this because your enemy sure as hell will do it to try and take things from you. So in order to take things from other people and to defend what is yours, you have to do this.

I unsubscribed about 2 months ago now because I was sick of all this sacrifice for a game. I recently checked with some of my old friends and dotlan maps and such, and guess what?

That constellation that we worked SO HARD to take has been taken by another entity. A loose coalition of refugees from the north that formed new alliances in Delve. And they took it WITHOUT A FIGHT from GENTS. That's right.... the systems that many of us spent 10+ hours per day logged into and skipped various social activities to help take were practically GIVEN to an enemy with no fight. GENTS moved back up north to the Fountain region to help Goonswarm out and said "meh" to all that space that we took.

And that folks, is the true futility of living in null-sec and fighting with alliances in EVE Online. Nothing you do matters in the long term. Every entity in the history of EVE has lost what they have spent so many hours gaining. And most of the time, your ship losses to take said space are out of your own pocket. Which gets old fast.

My advice for a happy time in EVE that will not burn you out is to live in Empire. Live there, gank there, mine there, do whatever. Even low-sec is alright, but living in and fighting over player areas is eventually a waste of time. If you want to get some null-sec mining or ratting done, I would advise you join a renter alliance. That way while you would help with defense, it isn't your primary responsibility. I have been both a renter and an owner, and you have much more fun as a renter.

I hope this helps you enjoy the game better. Living in null as an owner can be fun... but you get very easily burned out.

Re: The Futility of Null-Sec life

I know this is an old post but I felt the overwhelming truth of it deserved a bump.

My best 0.0 experience was as a "bob-slave" in Period Basis. Although I had some fun in INSRG up north as well.
    In Period Basis we got to fly with some good FCs and got in a lot of fun roams and defend New Eden against the Goon menace. But the fun was spoiled by constant calls to orbit this POS or that POS. SITTING and waiting for an attack that didn't come. That and the fact that our alliance was run by some grade A idiots meant I was paying a lot of money and dedicating days of my life to not have much fun..

This thread should be required reading for all rookies who want to move out to nullsec and "build an empire".
    sigpic
    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Comment

This post is far from the truth of 0.0 living, and as I've lived and played in 0.0 for 6 solid years, I disagree with it being stated as "Truth for all to read". It's a few personal issues, and I was ASCN and fought BoB. I've been in Pure, Tri, Insurg, and IT.

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Comment

meh, its why i said to hell with EVE. Biggest waste of time there is in gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          meh, its why i said to hell with EVE. Biggest waste of time there is in gaming.
          I disagree, but then again Eve does take a certain measure of patience...

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Comment

Reminds me of a browser game I played in highschool, Ogame. Now its a pos since they ruined the interface and a bunch of players lost interest that no server lasts long anymore, nother story though.

I remember one time waking up in the middle of the night on my birthday and finding an incoming attack on a really important fleet of mine. The neat thing was that this was the exact thing I'd been trying to get to happen for weeks. Showed an understrengthed fleet that was sloppily defended while hiding the real fleet far away on call. Basically, I was fishing for debris.

The attack was a good three hours out and on top of that I had birthday things to attend to that day. So I had to simultaneously play up the fact that I was 'offline', organize the last minute calvary, and tend to real life. While of in real life I had perhaps executed the highest point of my Ogaming career... not including a month or two long prepared Inte-Planetary Missile attack accross several galaxies against several people of a certain alliance. :O

Idk. In the future I look at EvE and hope I can get into it when time will permit... things like this are simultanously disencouraging but also very stirring. I don't mind losing things I've worked for; in fact that gives a sort of methodical value to it. A sort of excercise in investment and strategic intuition. In the same token I do mind putting such time into things. So in a couple years we'll see how I balance that.

Comment

I'm in LAWN, out in Pure Blind, love it.
              |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
              sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
              I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

I haven't been in null long, but I understand that everything is temporary. But the company is good and the banter is funny. So far its more fun than Empire for me at least. Of course, I'm not worried about the big sovereignty issues. If a call for help comes, I answer. If a meeting is called, I attend. But mostly, I get to do whatever I want so it keeps me playing.

Comment

I moved back to hisec. Can't play as much now and we switched alliances to a really immature TCU (which recently got ninja disbanded). Hisec/lowsec for me for a while.
                  |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                  sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                  I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X