EVE Online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVE Online

After reading Leejo's post about the big ol' EVE Online heist that occured recently, I have begun really looking into this game. I am going to set up an account and start playing around with it to see what I think.

I'm not sure if anyone else would be interested, but here is some info I gathered.

Leejo's original post:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...tml#post388861

A high level overview of EVE Online from eve-db.com:
    http://www.eve-db.com/articles/misc/pvp/

EVE Online official site:
    http://www.eve-online.com/

EVE Online Game Client Download (Supporting Members):
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/local_l...d=39&linkid=50
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: EVE Online

Great minds. I am looking up my old account as we speak, but their entire system is down for a massive content update. Among other things, they are adding fleet carriers. CARRIERS, people. :)
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

Um I was wondering what is the object of EVE?
      I heard about it once but never really "looked into it"

Your truly~Stealth Elite
      :: Signature removed by administration - File no longer exists at putfile.

Comment

In MMORPGs, particularly ones so heavily community-interaction-based, the "object" is whatever you want to make it.
        Become ruler of the galaxy?
        Hire your ship out as a mercenary?
        Make and sell parts?
        Run your own shipping fleet, hire your crews of pilots?

Whatever.
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Comment

Two other questions is it P2P and what the setting?

Oh send me a PM cause I might not look at this thread for a while
          Last edited by Stealth Elite; 12-15-2005, 09:17 PM. Reason: Addition
          :: Signature removed by administration - File no longer exists at putfile.

Comment

The high-end game is fleet-based PvP for control of star systems. There is a big mining, manufacturing and merchant aspect, and you gain power, resources, and influence through contact based missions from the various NPC factions.
            sigpic

Comment

Of special note, EVE Online currently has a 2-week free trial for anyone interested... One of the ad banners on Penny Arcade links to the promo.
              |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Free Trial Here:
                https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?sk=PENNY

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                |TG-2nd|munchkin
                Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

If any of you guys set up an account and are new to the game, be prepared to spend a couple hours the first time you connect going through all the training. It's quite helpful as the game is pretty complex.

I got all my training done last night and went on one mission before I went to sleep.

Comment

I'm going to read through some of those links. I typically haven't had the time to dedicate to games like this, but this one is intriguing. If we have a group of TGers going at it, i could see putting some time into it.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Note: If you haven't logged onto your character for 6 months it most likely has been deleted. I can't log into my account either.

Asch one of the great things about eve is if you have a group of people it doesn't require alot of your time. Since your skills will build up while your logged out, you will still be doing all that training while working. You can also monitor it from outside the game.

I'll jump on board with or without my old char.

- -

Comment

The system recognizes my old handle, but it's not letting me reset my password, so I may have to start over with a new account.

If we go in as a corp, we should set some overall roles for each player once everyone is comfortable with the game. It's helpful to have certain people focus on specific areas, like mining/processing, manufacturing, combat skills, corp management and climbing the contact tree.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                          Note: If you haven't logged onto your character for 6 months it most likely has been deleted. I can't log into my account either.

Asch one of the great things about eve is if you have a group of people it doesn't require alot of your time. Since your skills will build up while your logged out, you will still be doing all that training while working. You can also monitor it from outside the game.

I'll jump on board with or without my old char.
                          I've gotten the concept of starting the training and then logging off and doing real-world stuff, but I heard rumor of a way to be able to actually continue training through a web interface rather than having to log into the game itself? Any truth in this?

It would be really nice as I could keep up my training during the day.

Comment

Who the hell has the time to do anything entertaining on a web interface during the day?

*scurries away *
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

One of my housemates plays this game a lot, and from what I have seen it looks to be a very good game. He told me a story of how he was doing a simple shipping run that he had done before. It was a fairly long flight (23jumps) so he went to watch tv whilst it was underway. when he came back he was dead.

He was a little surprised by this - the route was known to be safe, and there was little animosity with other groups. The area was pretty well patrolled, and so it was unlikely that a rohue raider or pirate would have been able to get far enough to do it. checking things out a little more gave him his answer.

His group had declared war with a nearby group. It turns out that the nearby group was doing a little better. They had managed to cut an area out of my housemate's group's territory, and captured some strategic jump gates... unfortunately ones my housemate was travelling through. He says quite a lot of this goes on - planet's change hands for example as aggressive forces move in (but need to stabilise the area to have the economy return so they can make some money). He loves the ability for players to alter the shape of the galaxy.

If it is as good as that sounds then I am definitely interested in having a deeper look at it. One other bonus is the formation of guilds - in this case business empires. You pool your money and can buy offices and assets (extra ships etc). The guys that want to trade can do that, those that want to fight can do that too. I think there is a lot of scope for a group like us that really enjoys working together.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X