Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time commitment and EVE

I. Complexes

My understanding is that complexes (ie, Pith Deadspace Depot) is like a dungeon. With things to kill and loot before moving on to the next area.

I was wondering what happens if I'm in a complex and say I lose link or have to log out within a few minutes? Can I set a safe space station as a destination and warp out quickly? Would I need to back track along the "rooms" and fight my way back out?

II. Agent Missions

I notice that when I asked for an agent mission, I would be given a bonus reward if I completed the mission within a certain amount of time. For higher level agent missions, does the time increase? Would doing higher level agent missions be something we do as a group? Approximately how much time is required to complete a higher level agent mission?

III. Other Activities

Are there any other activities in EVE that require a large block of online time that can't be interrupted?

Thanks for any answers, it'll help me decide if I'll be able to continue playing EVE. From what I've seen so far, it's enjoyable and I'm leaning towards giving it a few months at first to see how it develops, but if there's a requirement for large blocks of time latter in the game it probably won't be worth it for me to get started.

Re: Time commitment and EVE

II Agent missions, all depends on type and pay of mission, but standard is within 45 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
      III. Other Activities

Are there any other activities in EVE that require a large block of online time that can't be interrupted?

Thanks for any answers, it'll help me decide if I'll be able to continue playing EVE. From what I've seen so far, it's enjoyable and I'm leaning towards giving it a few months at first to see how it develops, but if there's a requirement for large blocks of time latter in the game it probably won't be worth it for me to get started.
      Mining is typically a long-term process, but one that you can often walk away from for short bursts without much risk (depending on what and where you are mining). In any case, you can wrap up almost any mining task in a few minutes and log off without loss.

Trade and travel are time consuming. If you are travelling through safe space you can walk away from the keyboard but you must stay logged in. In low security space you will need to pay attention, particularly at jump gates. The autopilot is not always the safest method of travel and may require manual control.

I don't know about the high level agents, but your typical agent missions at my level run about 30 min to 1 hour. That includes travel to mission target, encounter, secondary encounter, and return to base for reward. If you fail to complete a mission you have started you lose any collateral and standing with the agent.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

yah last night in that pith spot...you just set a safe spot and when you need to jet just hit auto pilot and it does it....
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I. My understanding is that if you log out when you rejoin youdo so in the same sector, but are warped to a random point some distance away for safety.

Thus if you can get to a jump gate and make the path back alive then you are safe.

Comment

I am also curious about these things. I would love to give it a try, but I'm not going to get involved if I can't do it part-time.

How friendly is the game to me walking (or running) away from the computer in the middle of playing? My play time is frequently interrupted. Along the same lines, are there any long tedious activities that I can do while only keeping half-an-eye on the game? I would love to be able to run it in the background while I am working on other stuff. :)
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
              Along the same lines, are there any long tedious activities that I can do while only keeping half-an-eye on the game? I would love to be able to run it in the background while I am working on other stuff. :)
              Hahah! Totally! Never has there been a game more suited to that! :)
              I often run it in a window (very friendly to alt-tab as well) while doing pr0 - other stuff.
              "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
              - Lazarus Long

Comment

i think alot of us actually do the window deal...i know i do...12 jumps would be boring if i couldnt look at what im going to buy next...its good
                -Vulcan

Comment

Trooper... sometimes I'm just amazed you only have 2,459 posts. :(
                  - Lazarus Long

Comment

whats that supposed to mean.....
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Sometimes my mouse cursor disappears when I'm in window mode, the only way I found to fix it is to reboot. Has anyone else notice this? Is there a better fix? I'd like to run more in windowed mode but I need a better solution to the disappearing cursor.

Comment

Mine reappears when I click around enough... Sorry...:(
                        - Lazarus Long

Comment

Ok, you guys are helping me lure myself into playing this game...

Will I, as a part-timer, be able to contribute to the TG team by doing some mindless tasks? I can definitely put in lots of time if I can do so without paying close attention to the game. That is assuming that the game is very teamwork-oriented.

Comment

Ok, you guys are helping me lure myself into playing this game...
                            Overall I think that if nothing else it is worth a go. If WoW had been free to download with 14 days play free then I would have given that a go. All you lose is the time it takes to install it.

Will I, as a part-timer, be able to contribute to the TG team by doing some mindless tasks?
                            Most definitely

I can definitely put in lots of time if I can do so without paying close attention to the game.
                            That's a large part of the appeal for me. It's one of those games where if you pick the right jobs to do can be done with half a brain on it and doing other stuff. I regularly read the forums, play another desktop game, read or even cook whilst playing. I don't like to leave it too long, but there is a level of autonomy. (For example say you are in a mining gang, if youget attacked by pirates then whilst the combat guys move in to take them out your gang leader can warp the entire gang away. Leave TS running and you even get a verbal warning.

That is assuming that the game is very teamwork-oriented.
                            It is more teamwork oriented than we, TG, have tested it to. Sabre got a donation today, and immediately donated half to the corps. We spent a portion of that money on books to help train people that... well some that have yet to even join the corps. There are guys risking their characters to mine for ores to build ships - not for selling, but for the new guys to have a good ship asap. We have set up a communal hanger area that anyone in the corps can access to pick up goods you need. These are mostly populated by loot we get from killing pirates. You take what you need, and put back what you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                              Overall I think that if nothing else it is worth a go. If WoW had been free to download with 14 days play free then I would have given that a go. All you lose is the time it takes to install it.
                              I guess I'm just a little afraid of my own obsessive tendencies.

Thanks for your detailed answer though. I feel that I am going to be forced to start up an account to play over the holidays. :)

Will the TG Corp welcome people who are not TG members? I have a couple of friends who would probably join for at least the trial period. I might as well take a few down with me. ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X