CAR - Lonetrek region, Pirate hunting - 12/21 late PST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAR - Lonetrek region, Pirate hunting - 12/21 late PST

Fun tonight hitting the pirate complexes and asteroid belts around Tsukaras.

I decided to fly a Heron rigged with EW and a Nosferatu, in a support role to the rest of the gang (Penguin, Hero, SloppyJoe, munckin, nick, Vulcan, turbo, Xiel and lokka in various combinations). I've not really had an opportunity to use a smaller ship rigged this way, and this was a lot of fun.

We had much success in the earlier part of the hunt. lokka was in a Destroyer, and the rest were mostly in Merlins. There was not much any of the deadspace pirates or guns could do, and we made a fair profit off bounty with little individual effort. We worked well as a group and absolutely chewed through swarms of frigates in very little time at all.

As the evening moved on, the group scaled down and we ended up in an 0.4 system with 5 frigates. Essentially a small combat wing. We became aware of some (real) pirates in the system, so Vulcan did a great job of scouting ahead as the rest of us hung on station, waiting for a positive (safe) target ID and an all clear that no bad guys were loitering in the asteroid belts. At this point we used the gang jump feature to arrive at the position Vulcan had reported to us and proceeded to have great success as a frigate squadron against an assortment of fairly powerful NPC pirate cruisers.

Two lessons learned.

1) ECM is really effective, no matter how small the ship launching it is. I got several 20+ second jams against Blackbirds and Moas whilst we pounded them to dust. This is almost certainly going to make the enemy focus on the EW ship though, as all times I got a successful jam, I was locked onto as soon as the jam cleared and started taking fire (scary in a Heron).

2) Using the Nosferatu on large space structures (like radar stations or habitats) can effectively keep your capacitor healthy while allowing other systems (like the expensive ECM and missles) to be focused on enemy ships.

This was great fun until Penguin and I both were ignobly jettisoned into space by a (real) pirate in a battleship who bushwacked us out in space. I lasted all of 1 shot from a 425mm Railgun. We had just escaped from his buddy at one of the asteroid fields and I'm pretty sure they were using system scanning to locate us and close. At some point, we should take a (preferrably large) squadron of destroyers and missle boats down there and extract revenge against the (real) pirates (Malken is one of the names) and deny them that system.

It was a little tense making it back to Tsukaras in the pods, as there seemed to be a few other (real) pirates lurking at some gates between us and home.
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Re: CAR - Lonetrek region, Pirate hunting - 12/21 late PST

Also, while clearing out some 'roid belts (asteroids, not steroids) Sloppy managed to fire on a cargo container. Big mistake - CONCORD came in for the second time in 24 hours and destroyed his second Merlin, leaving him limping home.

I got his stuff though :) !

But I had to return it :(

Let's try and keep these great AARs coming.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I saw Sloppy's name light up in red when he fired on the container. That was funny. Getting raped by the pirate in the Megathron was not fun though :(.

---

Comment

Sounds like fun.

Please be very careful with your security rating, folks. The corp takes a hit in standing every time the cops have to come after you. The same goes with contacts. If you go ticking off a corporation for failing or turning down offered jobs, it becomes harder for us to work with them.

/end mommy mode
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

its not mommy mode, we just need to relize that our names are tied to TEGL and everything we do in game effects our corp....we need to keep a good name for ourselves so we can get more contacts and better jobs.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

yeah and a bunch of destroyers and figates will not take down a megathron. npc pirates fly crappy versions of teh ships.. players do not :P need a bs with a flight of cruisers to pose a real threat.. just need to keep getting minerals and updating your clones... ship loose is inevitable in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by lokka
              yeah and a bunch of destroyers and figates will not take down a megathron. npc pirates fly crappy versions of teh ships.. players do not :P need a bs with a flight of cruisers to pose a real threat.. just need to keep getting minerals and updating your clones... ship loose is inevitable in this game.
              Proper skill training, you will see frigs take down BS's like its nothing

Comment

So - do I understand from the first post of this thread that you guys were fighting NPC pirates early on, and later intentionally engaged PLAYER characters? Is that what you mean by (real) pirates?

And - if so, how do you know those players were "pirates"?

/confused
                "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                - Lazarus Long

Comment

No, later player characters intentionally engaged us. We were jumped essentially. We knew there were a couple of low sec bad guys in system ; -9.8 & -10 bad guys. We did our best to avoid them, but they bounced us just after an NPC encounter. We got away from one, and the guy in the Megathron jumped us as we were regrouping.

FWIW, the container, er, snooping is a good way to get a bad rep fast See http://www.eve-online.com/features/R...nisterflagging
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

*didn't finish reading StrikeFears post properly*

Low sec pirates have a yellow tint and a skull icon on the overlay. This applies (I think) to anybody -3.5 and under. CONCORD will take no action if these low-lifes are engaged, and most (not all) will be carrying bounties as well. If you look up the pilot information, the bounty will be displayed under the character portrait.

Just keep in mind that somebody at -3.5 (or -10, like the bad guy from last nite) worked really hard to get that bad. Has probably seen more action than somebody with a positive sec rating, and has most likely done this with human targets. They are dangerous, and will destroy your ship if they get a chance. Most won't kill your pod, but a few will. Some may just show up, and extract a "toll" in return for not destroying your ship (this is called ransoming). I think the guys last nite just noticed a flight of frigates wearing the same tag and thought, heh, lets have some fun. Normally they wouldn't bother with a single frigate.

We were in a dangerous system, but until this happened, we were doing ok, profit and capability wise. Actually, I only lost a Heron and one named module, so I am still ahead, profit wise.
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Ill stick to mining, you guys can protect my ship. Luckily I don't open cargo containers if they aren't ours.

Comment

WEll the open cargo flag thing are those cargo thiefs that are out in noob sectors, some theifs do it because too many people are macro mining

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X