EVE and dual monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVE and dual monitors

Who plays EVE and has a dual monitor setup? I'd use a 2nd monitor for DV and other stuff, but in EVE I'd ideally like to maybe have all my info boxes on one screen, and have my inflight screen clean.

If that doesnt work at all (EVE would have to support that natively), at the very least I'd like to have EVE open in one screen, full sized, and go back and forth to the desktop on the other screen during Ops. I'd rather watch a DVD or something while waiting for NPCs to spawn on mining ops, etc... But I'm not sure how easy it is to switch mouse focus from the game screen, to the desktop screen when they are side by side... since when in EVE combat, i wouldnt want th emouse to accidentally fly off into my desktop if i got too close to the edge, and have the mouse instructions lag in a firefight while I drag it back over to the game window. lol.

The only way i can see it working at the moment would be having EVE in windowed mode, but the mouse-pointer focus issue I'm still not sure about. I'd like to find out how feasible dual monitors would be in eve before i buy
    So if anyone has experience with EVE and has 2 monitors, please share any experiences :)
    |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Re: EVE and dual monitors

Syn,

I'm not a dual monitor expert, but I play with a dual setup.

I have Eve running in windowed mode on one screen and the forums, market trader, 2d Maps, Route planner, character mangager, quickfitter...you name it running on the other.

And of course I could watch movies as well or even be playing another game :).

Works fine...I haven't noticed any more lag than the game always has for me.

Comment

I also run dual monitor...but that's almost always to run two EVE clients at once. ;P

Any time you plan to do allot of switching focus it's generally better to use windowed mode. This helps prevent hangs and crashes by reducing the display and control switching. (Also, the EVE client itself has not historically been too friendly to switching with full-screen mode.)
      Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
      [age-c1]
      [eng][air]

Comment

Yeah I have 2 monitors playing eve as well

Comment

I was at friend's house on the weekend and he had EVE in fullscreen on one monitor while the other monitor had other stuff going on. It was easy enough to mouse between the two.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I just nabbed a 2nd monitor from my brother, and I'll soon be set. :)
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

Don't you need a graphics card that has two out slots or two graphics cards?

Looking at the back of mine I have a monitor output and a larger slot, so dual monitor isn't possible?

Comment

The larger slot is a DVI output, also for a monitor. You can either get an LCD monitor that uses the DVI interface or buy a cheap converter allow a normal monitor to plug into the DVI interface.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

preston - you probably got a convertor with your comp / gfx card (I did) even if you bought it OEM. Worth rummaging around in your computer bits drawer to look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                    preston - you probably got a convertor with your comp / gfx card (I did) even if you bought it OEM. Worth rummaging around in your computer bits drawer to look for it.
                    lol, I just have to find a spare monitor in there while i'm at it!

Comment

If you're happy with something like a 17" CRT then phone around local businesses / hospitals etc. There is a huge 'ergonomic' rush to have them kitted out with TFT screens, and they have to pay to have the old equipment disposed of. They'd almost certainly let you have something for free in this case.

Comment

I just got the monitor from my brother (MuzzleVelocity). It's a Samsung Synchmaster 191T Flat panel. I have it hooked up via the DVI port along with my CRT.

I'm using nView desktop manager for ... desktop management.
                        And I've got everything the way I want it EXCEPT....

when I put focus on any other window on the 2nd monitor, Eve minimizes.
                        So, imagine: Eve is fullscreen on Monitor 1 (M1). I'm happy playing. Now, I want to read the forum, so I zip the mouse off M1 to M2, no problem, and I click a link.
                        Bam! Eve minimized on the primary monitor.

Anyone else have this problem, know how to work around it?
                        Also, anyone else have experience with better Desktop Management tools?
                        - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
                          I just got the monitor from my brother (MuzzleVelocity). It's a Samsung Synchmaster 191T Flat panel. I have it hooked up via the DVI port along with my CRT.

I'm using nView desktop manager for ... desktop management.
                          And I've got everything the way I want it EXCEPT....

when I put focus on any other window on the 2nd monitor, Eve minimizes.
                          So, imagine: Eve is fullscreen on Monitor 1 (M1). I'm happy playing. Now, I want to read the forum, so I zip the mouse off M1 to M2, no problem, and I click a link.
                          Bam! Eve minimized on the primary monitor.

Anyone else have this problem, know how to work around it?
                          Also, anyone else have experience with better Desktop Management tools?
                          I'm running dual Samsung 191T's.

I have the same issue with EVE minimizing. I run it on one monitor in 1024x768 windowed mode and use the other display for web/email/TS/etc.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yes, I may be relegated to running it in a window unless something better comes up.
                            But I hate to miss out on 1280x960 resolution, so I'll just shove the window all the way up the screen. :)
                            - Lazarus Long

Comment

I just realised I could use my TV as a second monitor (must be better than whats on tv), has anyone do this or tried it?

ps. wulfyn, greggles must die........

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X