Dangers... popping on at work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangers... popping on at work?

OK so I just started playing this weekend. And I understand the importance of not wasting any time between Skill Trainings...

So i did the unthinkable.. I installed the client on my computer at work. This, I can see, could be very dangerous. We dont have a very strict IT policy here, so thats not the problem. The problem, obviously, is that I can see myself popping on for a few minutes during lunch and not realizing that an hour has passed (or more!).

It is nice though, being able to jump on real quick and check the progress of a skill, or start a new one. ;)

Re: Dangers... popping on at work?

Originally posted by jkat
    OK so I just started playing this weekend. And I understand the importance of not wasting any time between Skill Trainings...

So i did the unthinkable.. I installed the client on my computer at work. This, I can see, could be very dangerous. We dont have a very strict IT policy here, so thats not the problem. The problem, obviously, is that I can see myself popping on for a few minutes during lunch and not realizing that an hour has passed (or more!).

It is nice though, being able to jump on real quick and check the progress of a skill, or start a new one. ;)
    I have the client on my laptop.. I also have alarms set on my phone that ring when my skill training is complete. I do hop on quickly to change skill training, but that's about all I do. I don't actually do anything that would suck up any of my time.

You could simply set an alarm to remind you of how much time you've spent or just restrict your online time to skill training functions only.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Lol, just set the really long ones training so you don't have to pop on all the time. once you've got some of the skills that take longer to train (rank/muliplier) to level 3 you'll have lots of skills that take 9+ hours which you don't have to worry about.

It just early on when you first get a lot of new skills to train that take less than a few hours.

You can also change the skill training before it finishes without losing what you have trained, so if you get on before going to work and there is 1 or 2 hours left change to another 9+ hour skill. When you play on the night or weekend finish all those short nearly finished skills off.

Comment

Ahh good tip about the "interupting" trainings... I knew thats how it worked but I never really thought about how to effectively use that aspect.

Thanks!

Comment

hah, i know a few people who i play with who just sit in the station while they are at work.

the e-o site actually used to have a feature that would allow you to check on your characters. the page would tell you how many SP you had, how much isk, a listing of your skills, attributes and what you are training and how long till its done. saddly because there are so many people and its quite a server load they took it down. i bet it might come back once they upgrade the servers this month.
          also, once you start getting to large skill trains you wont really have to worry about it (most of mine now are at least 1-30 days :\ it depends on what it is).

although what i ahve done when new skills come out is i set 20+ hour ones when i goto bed (midnight usually) and i get home at 4 pm. and then i switch over to shorter trains that i can finish before midnight and then set another 20+ hour. granted this way i cant finish the skill at one time or something but i dont lose training time. i think the one thing to worry about is not getting too many skills that you've trained halfway and then stopped because you only get the bonus if you finish the level.

Comment

The online character viewer is still there:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/character/skilltree.asp

You can see your skills, how much time left to train, and money.

You may have to again click on the menu item on the left side (My Character) though.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
              The online character viewer is still there:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/character/skilltree.asp

You can see your skills, how much time left to train, and money.

You may have to again click on the menu item on the left side (My Character) though.
              oh wow, they took it down a while back and i never knew it was up again. thanks

Comment

That is QUITE cool. Thanks for that!

Anything that helps my obsession along is always welcome.

Comment

I hate you all. I can't even view the TG site from work.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

HAHA

Is that because you work in the stone age or really tight controls ?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
                      HAHA

Is that because you work in the stone age or really tight controls ?
                      So tight I can't even squeak a stinky one out.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                        So tight I can't even squeak a stinky one out.
                        Same here with my high school. They've blocked anything good on the whole internet.

---

Comment

I can vouch for how tight asch's company is. They even filter ipsec and ssh tunnels. That's pretty stiff.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                            They're almost as tight as asch is when it comes to dishing out rep :p
                            Whoa! Mr. Cruise has graced the EVE team with his presence.
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

I stole my bosses login/pass I try to reach forums as well but doesnt load

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X