Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPC Ratting

My frigate of choice is a Rifter with the following config:

2x 280mm Howitzers (Titanium Sabot ammo)
    2x Small Missile Launchers (Bloodclaw Light Missiles)
    1x Civilian Shield Booster 1
    2x Power Diagnostic System 1
    1x Small Armor Repairer 1

I tear through 0.6 rats like they weren't even there. 0.5 rats start becoming tricky as I start taking armor damage when I get three Sansha's Manslayers nuking me with missiles. 0.4 is too much for me; by the time I get the first bogie down, I'm beginning to take internal damage, so I have to Benny Hill the hell out of there.

My question is: What sort of fittings would make my ratting experience better? I like the power of missiles, but I'm unsure as to what small projectile weapons I should be using. Also, how do I outfit my -- and - slots better?

Thanks in advance.

Uruz Rune

Re: NPC Ratting

3x 150mm autocannons 1x small nosferatu
    1x 1mn afterburner 1x web 1x scram (if you're in lowsec)
    1x small armor repair 1x plate 1x gyrosabilizer

That's probably the best rifter for ratting.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin View Post
      3x 150mm autocannons 1x small nosferatu
      1x 1mn afterburner 1x web 1x scram (if you're in lowsec)
      1x small armor repair 1x plate 1x gyrosabilizer

That's probably the best rifter for ratting.
      Can you explain the reasonings behind all of these choices, taking into consideration up until this point I've only tried to fit on "stuff that goes boom"? As in, why the 150mm cannons instead of the 280mm howitzers; why no missiles; why the scram if I'm sticking primarily to 0.4 and higher, etc.

Also, what do you mean by "plate"? Armor plating?

edit: I could've sworn that said 200mm. Ohwell.

Uruz Rune

Comment

200mm's arn't worth the extra fitting. Arty is an "alpha strike" weapon. Hit hard and pop the target in a few hits, once you come to cruisers and BC's the damage per second (dps) of arty is low so take longer to kill them than AC's which have less one shot power but more damage through firing machine gun style.

The extra damage is like 10dps or something over 150's, and when you take tracking into account probably don't deal more damage at all.
        Ship gets bonus to tracking and damage for Projectile weapons not missiles.

Nos runs the rep.
        Plate is Armour Plating for more HP.
        Web to hold target still for guns to hit.
        AB to get close to use your guns+nos.
        Gyro to kill them quicker.
        Scram so if you can't run you can stand and fight and maybe hold the ship for long enough for help to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85 View Post
          Nos runs the rep.
          Eh? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Scram so if you can't run you can stand and fight and maybe hold the ship for long enough for help to arrive.
          Again, sorry if this seems newbish, but don't web scramblers prevent a ship from warping? Rats don't warp.

Uruz Rune

Comment

Originally posted by uruzrune View Post
            Eh? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Again, sorry if this seems newbish, but don't web scramblers prevent a ship from warping? Rats don't warp.
            Nos. Small Nos takes cap from the target ship (as long as they have cap - NPC's never run out). You can then use that extra cap to supliment your own to run the small armour rep more.

Warp scrambler for if you get caught by war targets or in low sec by pirates. If you can't warp you might as well put up a fight and stop them escaping if your winning the fight.

Comment

Okay, what about a Thrasher? I can drive one of those too and have had moderate success with it.

Uruz Rune

Comment

As much as it pains me to say it due to all of the missile-slander on the forums, as far as high-sec ratting goes, you might be better off with a missile boat. I've tried all 4 races with different setups and it's definitely do-able with any race in a cruiser, inty or even a frig with the right setup, but by far the best one ive found for ratting in .5 and above is the caracal loaded up with arbalest assault launchers and a missile mod or two (shield extenders and a booster of course). I'd have to look up my exact setup for the ship, but pretty much any mids/lows setup with a full compliment of arby assaults will eat through high-sec rats.
                Now, the reason behind this is purely range. Any eve player with any experience knows that you dont want to get blown up and you really dont wanna get blown up by rats, especially the high-sec variety. So why risk having to get in close? With the caracal setup you can get 40+km range with a little bit of skill training and in high sec, that means if you warp to a belt at 50km and start shooting once the rats are in range, you'll probably have popped most of them before they get close enough to start eating your shields. the other major benefit is that with the exception of missiles that get rocked by defenders, they never miss. Theres no chance of your missiles missing because your skills arent good enough.
                Like i said, i know the whole thing sounds like cheap missile-jockey lameness, but it's really very effective. Thats the setup I used when starting my present character, and by the time i had the skills trained to fly a ferox, i had 3 of them, fully loaded, sitting in my hangar...all because of ratting with my caracal and a wee bit of mission running.
                But experiment around, and NEVER pass up an opportunity to go on a group hunt with other people (so long as you trust em). When my character was a mere 3 days old and I was flying a kestrel I got invited to a group hunt by a guy in corp-chat. I wound up doing nothing but sitting there in gang, collecting ISK and loot because it turned out to be a BS hunt. Great fun and netted me close to 10 mil in just a couple hours (which is an extraordinary amount of money when you're 3 days old). Hope I helped a little.

Comment

Caldari missle boats are indeed the ultimate boats for PvE. But imo there are ships that area alot more fun than just warping in and letting fly with the missles then warping out when you're done. But then again pvp is the real fun of the game as far as i'm concerned.

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X