What course....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What course....

Well...i am presently working on the skills to get a MWD so i can help as a tackler @ the gates. Long term i would like to go covert ops, and Gun Junkie already gave me the skill tree i need to develop for that. I'd really like to fly a fast, nimble ship someday that can hit targets @ long range and quickly bugger off if things get too hot. (or keep them @ range and snipe them) I'm Amarrian so Laser Turrets offer me a lot of options and I have been looking into some of the ships that would suit my needs. Interceptors seem cool, but with Small Energy turrets, i wouldn't think they would pack much punch or range. So is this a pipe dream, to really be effective am i going to have to fly Big slow moving vessels? In D&D i play Mage/Thief...more the shuck and jive stab you in the back type, than a head on fighter, and I would like a ship that would fit my personality, but if this is unrealistic, let me know.

Thanks guys for all the help so far!
    Dirt013

Re: What course....

The key is to pick the ship you want to fly and make it effective. Some of the best pilots in Eve fly Cruisers and Intys just because they know how to attack and fly their ships. Coverts are great because you can warp in cloakd and provide so much more then just DPS but intel and a warp point.

Just because the Ship is bigger doesnt make it better, took me a while to learn that. And because of that i still dont have a battle ship. Pick what ship you want and get the support skills trained up to atleast 4, the more skills that support the ship the less likely you will be waisting ships.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

As a long term aim Recon ships seem a good fit for you (it will be quite some time away however). The advantage you have is that as you are aiming for covert ops anyway you will get a lot of the basic skills you need to fly them as well.

Short term is a bit trickier. Fast and punchy is not a typical combination. If you want to take on enemy frigates then destroyers can be a good choice. They are not a lot slower than frigates but with a ton of turret slots they can shred a small target. They don't work that well against larger ship classes so that might not be what you are after.

Overall a cruiser might be a happy medium, but I don't know the Amarr ones well enough to make a credible suggestion.

Comment

Everyone should at some point have a sturdy cruiser rig that they are comfortable with. A cruiser is probably the most versatile and cost-effective craft you will have at your disposal - useful for clearing out belt rats, running or assisting in missions, running complexes, or just another set of guns in a PvP fleet. All for about 10M isk. And you can trick a cruiser out with T2 equipment when you are really happy with the way it flies.

As Amarr, your top of the line cruisers are the Omen and the Maller. The Maller is slow but heavily armored, allowing you to outlast most foes. The Omen is faster but lightly armed with a moderate tank. I prefer the Maller because it fits more guns.

Wulfyn - fast and punchy is the Vagabond (Minmatar Heavy Assault Cruiser). Mainly a close-range gunboat, but with a top speed of, what, 2800mps?.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
          Everyone should at some point have a sturdy cruiser rig that they are comfortable with. A cruiser is probably the most versatile and cost-effective craft you will have at your disposal - useful for clearing out belt rats, running or assisting in missions, running complexes, or just another set of guns in a PvP fleet. All for about 10M isk. And you can trick a cruiser out with T2 equipment when you are really happy with the way it flies.

As Amarr, your top of the line cruisers are the Omen and the Maller. The Maller is slow but heavily armored, allowing you to outlast most foes. The Omen is faster but lightly armed with a moderate tank. I prefer the Maller because it fits more guns.

Wulfyn - fast and punchy is the Vagabond (Minmatar Heavy Assault Cruiser). Mainly a close-range gunboat, but with a top speed of, what, 2800mps?.
          First part is qft all the way. Cruisers are the cheap swiss army knives of pvp. Definitely more useful in a mobile gang than a battleship.

But amarr cruisers are general crap compared to other races unfortunately. Maller is good for lvl 2 missions and as a wtfbbq tank occasionally for pvp but other than that it's useless. Omen can fit a nasty gank with good skills but it'll pop so fast if it gets targeted it's like it was barely there.

By far the most useful and most fun amarr cruiser is the arbitrator. Nothing like taking 2 turret battleships completely out of a fight with tracking disruptors or nossing a cruiser or frig (and even some battlecruisers) into uselessness. The only caveat is that it needs good drone skills(T2 medium drones and drone interfacing 4 is a good starter) to really be effective with damage or solo. But it's indispensable once you can use t2 tracking disruptors(or have the cash for best named).

Besides that the tech 2 versions are nasty :icon20: .

Originally posted by Dirt013
          Well...i am presently working on the skills to get a MWD so i can help as a tackler @ the gates. Long term i would like to go covert ops, and Gun Junkie already gave me the skill tree i need to develop for that. I'd really like to fly a fast, nimble ship someday that can hit targets @ long range and quickly bugger off if things get too hot. (or keep them @ range and snipe them) I'm Amarrian so Laser Turrets offer me a lot of options and I have been looking into some of the ships that would suit my needs. Interceptors seem cool, but with Small Energy turrets, i wouldn't think they would pack much punch or range. So is this a pipe dream, to really be effective am i going to have to fly Big slow moving vessels? In D&D i play Mage/Thief...more the shuck and jive stab you in the back type, than a head on fighter, and I would like a ship that would fit my personality, but if this is unrealistic, let me know.

Thanks guys for all the help so far!
          Covops are too fragile to put a covops cloak on imo. 60mil on a ship made of paper is just asking for trouble in Kali since cloaked ships can be probed. Recons are a good goal to shoot for though it's a pretty long term goal. A recon is a much better ship for stealth work but it's not much good for solo (unless you fly a pilgrim :icon20: )

Interceptors aren't meant to do damage really. They're made to tackle and hold down ships and stay alive long enough by avoiding fire with speed for the real damage dealers to do their work.

Just a word of caution though: amarr are currently kinda not so great across most of their ships compared to the other races. Lasers only do EM/thermal damage which is easy to resist against on an armor tank. The laser based cruisers wouldn't be as bad if they didn't have PG/CPU issues (i'm looking at you Omen) and the arma is our only truly useful battleship. But if you like the amarr style of armor tanking and gang based ships then stick with it. I'm sure Tux will put the nerfbat down eventually :row__735:. Until then train for pilgrim/curse :D.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin View Post
            Covops are too fragile to put a covops cloak on imo. 60mil on a ship made of paper is just asking for trouble in Kali since cloaked ships can be probed. Recons are a good goal to shoot for though it's a pretty long term goal. A recon is a much better ship for stealth work but it's not much good for solo (unless you fly a pilgrim :icon20: )
            covops frigs, correctly fitted with the covops cloak, are still the first and last word in scouting and fleet recon work. Recon cruisers don't have the speed to be a viable warp in point (unless the bad guys are stupid), and the scan probe time bonus is the difference between busted safe spot and wasting lots of isk on failed probing attempts. Like anything, they take skill to fly properly, but have a unique role and are still very, very useful imo.

<3 my Buzzard ;p
            Do or do not, there is no try....
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

pew pew pew

sorry penguin, couldn't help myself ;)

Oh and I second the comment about the pilgrim variant of the recon class. That bastard pirate.

Comment

I know I'd like to turn my Caracal into a missile boat, right now I am working on my skills though, because I am skill deficient compared to many others. I guess I can always hop in my Kestrel till then. I think I am underskilled to make my Caracal super effective, but its getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                  covops frigs, correctly fitted with the covops cloak, are still the first and last word in scouting and fleet recon work. Recon cruisers don't have the speed to be a viable warp in point (unless the bad guys are stupid), and the scan probe time bonus is the difference between busted safe spot and wasting lots of isk on failed probing attempts. Like anything, they take skill to fly properly, but have a unique role and are still very, very useful imo.

<3 my Buzzard ;p
                  lol still can't help but get nervous with those covops cloaks on though. I agree about the probing, covops frigs are the end all be all for getting to someone's SS but that's about it.

---

Comment

Trust me, it makes me sweat as well... :)

Just pointing out they do have a unique purpose.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Dahgan View Post
                      I know I'd like to turn my Caracal into a missile boat, right now I am working on my skills though, because I am skill deficient compared to many others. I guess I can always hop in my Kestrel till then. I think I am underskilled to make my Caracal super effective, but its getting better.
                      I guess the good news with this is even if you have a really good set of shield / engineering skills your caracal is still a relatively easy ship to take out. The reason this is good news is that it means that you can use it for it's more specific purpose, as a really good damage dealer.

There are other varients (gunjunkie told me of a really good anti-inty setup for example) but the general way I have seen caracal's survive is by their pilots skilling up in Missile Projection and Missile Bombardment and warping in at 60km away. Beware snipers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn View Post
                        I guess the good news with this is even if you have a really good set of shield / engineering skills your caracal is still a relatively easy ship to take out. The reason this is good news is that it means that you can use it for it's more specific purpose, as a really good damage dealer.

There are other varients (gunjunkie told me of a really good anti-inty setup for example) but the general way I have seen caracal's survive is by their pilots skilling up in Missile Projection and Missile Bombardment and warping in at 60km away. Beware snipers!
                        If a sniper isn't aligned to warp out before missiles hit him enough to make him worried he deserves to die.

Caracal with assault launchers = death to frigate sized ships.
                        Caracal with heavy missiles = good damage dealer vs cruisers + larger but time it takes missiles to get there its best for mission/ratting.
                        Caracal with the new heavy assaults = great damage at 30km....

Comment

Damn typos - actually I meant beware of snipers!

Comment

Recon ships are wimpy!

Comment

Originally posted by James315 View Post
                              He probably thought he could dampen you enough so you couldn't lock. He didn't even have T2 med rails on that. Gallente recon ships aren't designed for solo work really, esepcially taking a BS solo. Amarr has the good solo recon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X