so what does eve take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what does eve take?

hey everyone, ive been a mmo fan for awhile now, used to play wow but i found it to demanding...

in that case, what kinda time involvement does eve take? i like the idea of running things for your self and making your own game, but i cant invest 4+hrs a night... how wow used to be when i got up in the game

thanks!

mav
    lTG-6thlMavrok

Re: so what does eve take?

Originally posted by Mavrok View Post
    hey everyone, ive been a mmo fan for awhile now, used to play wow but i found it to demanding...

in that case, what kinda time involvement does eve take? i like the idea of running things for your self and making your own game, but i cant invest 4+hrs a night... how wow used to be when i got up in the game

thanks!

mav
    Hello Mav!

There are several differences between WoW and Eve that make Eve much less demanding (timewise) than WoW.

First and foremost, Eve is a skillbased game instead of a level based game. Your character's abilities in game is the sum total of his skills. This does two things. One, you're never forced into a niche (real or imagined) by the choices you make at character creation. You can literally customize your character to do anything you want. Also, your skills train over time, whether you are logged on or not. So, if your busy and can't log in for a few days, your character is happily training whatever skill you left him training, 24 hours a day. In that way, Eve is great for people who don't want to or can't dedicate hours a day playing.

On the other hand, there is no way to accelerate your advancement either (beyond taking the time upfront to raise all your learning skills). So, whereas in WoW, where you could theoretically grind your way up to max level in a month or so of dedicated playing, that is impossible in Eve. So, over the long haul, in terms of how long it would take you to get to the maximums in your chosen profession, it would take much longer to do that in Eve (in terms of real time as opposed to play time).

Also, one of the best things about Eve in my opinion, is that a new player can actually fly around with much older players and still meaningfully contribute to the fights. Imagine, if your WoW character was roughly level 15. You simply could not even participate in the things that max level players were doing, in any real capacity. That is not the case in Eve.

Another thing is, because of the skill based nature of Eve, if you choose to specialize in say smaller ships, you can 'max out' the skills that directly contribute to those ships in particular, and you would be able to compete with someone with much more skillpoints than you on a level playing field, should you encounter them in a ship class of your chosen specialization. This is because there are only so many skills that can really be brought to bear in certain ship classes. What the higher skillpoint levels do is give you more options with regards to the types of things you can fly well.

The only 'grind' or timesink in Eve, is earning money (and faction standings, if you want to run missions). As far as character development is concerned, the concept of grinding doesn't really exist.

Comment

Typically I found to get any serious pvp action it would take an hour or two (especially if roaming gang) of playing. 15/30 mins isn't much use tbh as once you attack someone you can be probed out if you log out within 15 mins (to stop people attacking someone then avoiding dealing with the response by logging out of the game) unless you can dock in a station which is easy in empire space, but in player alliances space you probably don't have docking rights unless the space is your alliances.

Missions can take anywhere upto an hour (shouldn't be any longer, if it does take longer its better just to do lower level of missions).

Ratting you can do for just 15/30 mins. Can make anywhere from 15m-30m in an hour, which is the same price as a battlecruiser (only battleships are bigger, besides captial ships).

Other activites usually done for ISK making (although for some players its all they do) you can do trading (move items around, buy low, sell high) or research/production which doesn't take much time besides collecting the materials needed then just have to put them into research labs/production.

Comment

okay sounds very interesting, now what kinda machine do i need to run the game?
        lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Pretty much any old thing will run the classic client. To get the new graphics going i'd say you need a decent machine. I barely run the new stuff with a 6800GS and i can't use HDR on it or my FPS goes to like 20.

---

Comment

To run EVE, for my machine, i got a pretty dull machine, 9550 radeon vid, intel 3.4 GHZ processor, and some AGP motherboard i got from a friend, and i can play EVE fine on low details, with the exception of a few lag spikes here and there.

for the gaming way, i personally LOVE the leveling system, being able to level up skills but not need to be on 24/7 to get them high, i dont play anymore due to the fact its 15 a month which i cant afford, but i rarely played, and my Corp set me up good with money, and my pilot can pilot stealth bombers and stealth ships. and ive played for about 2 months, about 1 hr to 2hrs a day maybe, sometimes not even that, my skills would level, and id go do a mission here and there to up my rep so i can get better missions...

overall, fun fun game, doesnt need hours and hours and hours to level, but some skills do take bout days or even weeks (lvl 5 skills sometimes months) to complete, but with the right skills/implants it lowers the time it takes DRASTICALLY. plus its very fun to fly in stealthed or with a nice battleship and pulverize targets with your corp mates.
            "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

I don't know about trinity, but right now I'm running a 1.9ghz sempron, 1gb ram, 5400rpm hd, MSI branded ATI 256mb card (forgot the specific model, I could dxdiag it but I'm lazy and on xanax) and it runs smooth as silk. Though, I haven't ever gotten into a real.. confrontation with more than some loners taking out my mining frigate. So maybe with a lot of company, it might slow down. I don't think so though. Eve seems to be lower-spectrum-hardware friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulja View Post
                To run EVE, for my machine, i got a pretty dull machine, 9550 radeon vid, intel 3.4 GHZ processor, and some AGP motherboard i got from a friend, and i can play EVE fine on low details, with the exception of a few lag spikes here and there.

for the gaming way, i personally LOVE the leveling system, being able to level up skills but not need to be on 24/7 to get them high, i dont play anymore due to the fact its 15 a month which i cant afford, but i rarely played, and my Corp set me up good with money, and my pilot can pilot stealth bombers and stealth ships. and ive played for about 2 months, about 1 hr to 2hrs a day maybe, sometimes not even that, my skills would level, and id go do a mission here and there to up my rep so i can get better missions...

overall, fun fun game, doesnt need hours and hours and hours to level, but some skills do take bout days or even weeks (lvl 5 skills sometimes months) to complete, but with the right skills/implants it lowers the time it takes DRASTICALLY. plus its very fun to fly in stealthed or with a nice battleship and pulverize targets with your corp mates.
                Is there a guide anywhere regarding what learning skills one should train? What about priority implants?

Comment

is it like an RTS? where you have fleets?

i still dont understand teh gameplay
                  lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                    Is there a guide anywhere regarding what learning skills one should train? What about priority implants?
                    Most people will say one of two things about learning skills:
                    • Train them all the way to the advanced lvl 3 or 4 immediately
                    • Train the basics to 3 or 4, take a break to train interesting skills, then do advanced as needed

I'd go for the second option if i was just starting the game because it keeps you much more interested. Of course most base chars now have one basic learning skill to lvl 4 which means it would be a good idea to train the advanced in that attribute immediately.

Implants are entirely optional though at this point they're so inexpensive it's worth always having whatever set you can afford plugged in. Personally i never fly without my set of 4s but 2s or 3s work great if that's what you have cash for.

---

Comment

is it like an RTS? where you have fleets?

i still dont understand teh gameplay
                      Nope you control one ship. Not really RTSish unless you're FCing those big 100+ man fleets out in 0.0 (then it's more like EvE: Powerpoint Edition anyway).

---

Comment

so the ship is like your character?

and you can up grade ships, or items on the ships

so you can change your "race" when ever you want
                        lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

so the ship is like your character?

and you can up grade ships, or items on the ships

so you can change your "race" when ever you want
                          Correct, if you have the requisite skills trained.

There are three things that make EvE the best MMO around:
                          - non-consensual PvP: In other words, real PvP outside of dueling-style mechanics.
                          - player-driven market: Most of the game content comes from real players.
                          - single worldwide shard: enhances the previous two points

Comment

so if i start playing would anyone be willing to help me out, show me the ropes and all that jazz :D
                            lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

so if i start playing would anyone be willing to help me out, show me the ropes and all that jazz :D
                              Hit us up in the MCREW-PUB channel and there's always someone willing to answer any question. No matter how noobish. And i'm sure someone would always be up for having a tagalong tackling newbie in a suicide t1 friggie ;).

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X